Home

The One Year Thread 2015: The Forum Awakens

Keyan Farlander

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't watch the superbowl, if i had cable tv i would've watched the national anthem and halftime show and that would've been it. too much fan drama. seahawks threw the game away apparently. went to the gym at 12:30-2:30, got my 4 set workout in. it was snowing on the way over, but nowhere near what the weather reports were calling for. i'm wondering if school is going to be on compressed schedule again or if it's going to be cancelled...I'm hoping it's not compressed, i'd rather have it cancelled than compressed schedule cause that throws my whole routine off. I plan on putting in some work today.

:confused: seriously?

I genuinely don't know. I don't recall anything in the movies that establishes it as something else or prevents it from being a planet.

why don't we flip it around. What is right about Kessel being an asteroid near a black hole cluster?

That's not my argument. The burden of proof is not on me. ;)

1. Kessel was established in EU to be an asteroid near the Maw.

2. Very high security, near impossible to get on or off without letting someone catch you

3. If you DID get off with an illegal load of spice, you had to Navigate near the maw to avoid the imperial patrols.

4. Here comes SW: Rebels and it is about as exciting as going to the nearby Star-Mart for a power converter.

My response after the SW: Rebels episode was "That was it?"

The EU as it was doesn't exist anymore... officially. Disney can do whatever they want outside of the movies.

And we are comparing one fictional location and history for a different fictional location and history.

But I was just thinking "Hey! It's kinda cool that these games I never thought anyone would ever be able play or even see again are now available to buy and run on modern hardware if we want! Without a lot of geeky tweaking to make them work." when I said that. I wasn't thinking about movies or TV or anything else.

And who cares that Disney is only re-releasing them all for the money? Lucasarts didn't make these games originally out of love for us... they were meant to make a profit back then too.

1. Kessel was established in EU

Hence why it was ignored.

P.S: Turns out that the concept came from Lucas after all.

The planet Kessel is first mentioned in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, but this is its first on-screen appearance. Star Wars Rebels uses designs and notes that George Lucas extensively developed for Kessel, describing its appearance, culture, and economy.

Source

It was probably going to eventually appear either on The Clone Wars or the live-action series that Lucas was developing.

What's the source for that? I remember it being a planet in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. It even had a moon that the prototype death star destroyed when it left the Maw.

Okay.. i guess we are having problems with terminology. For me, something that has no atmosphere, and is irregular shaped is an asteroid, or at least "Asteroid shaped". yes it is a planet, but certainly not a normal planet

regardless, SW: Rebels made Kessel BORING. Hey there are some wookies that were captured there... la de da we are going over there. La de da oh there they are! uh oh, there is a firefight and we reveal we have a Jedi that saves the day! YEA!!! okay, we got the wookiees lets leave now.... AND THE DAY WAS SAVED doop dee boop de doo

And i am really getting tired of people coming out and trying to justify everything new that is happening with history lessons taken from Disney WHO obviously rewriting Star wars to Justify any changes

At this point I don't really care what Disney does with Star Wars. I read (I'm pretty sure all of) the Bantam and pre-Bantam novels. They are sitting on my shelf and I can read them again if I want to. Some were really good, some were...not. The six movies are sitting on my shelf. Some were really good, some were...well, you know. I haven't read any of the books in like 15 years, and I never read any of the comics. When the new movie comes out, I'll see it. If a new game comes out and it's really good, I'll play it. A TV series is probably too much for me to follow, although if it were a really good, live-action TV series that had the spirit of the original movies, I'd be interested.

I haven't watched a single episode... so my memories of the SW universe are currently untainted.

But seriously... I got a little upset when I watched the recent Trek reboot movies about how they played fast and loose with established Trek universe physics and rules. Then I asked myself "Wait... these movies are actually a lot of fun... are you really going to waste energy and time worrying about how one version of a fictional story chooses to play out as opposed to a slightly different version?"

I haven't watched a single episode... so my memories of the SW universe are currently untainted.

But seriously... I got a little upset when I watched the recent Trek reboot movies about how they played fast and loose with established Trek universe physics and rules. Then I asked myself "Wait... these movies are actually a lot of fun... are you really going to waste energy and time worrying about how one version of a fictional story chooses to play out as opposed to a slightly different version?"

It was actually the exact opposite for me. They weren't really ever consistent with how the physics and technology worked on Star Trek, so I never gave it much thought. I thought the new movies were mindless and uninteresting, filled with terrible stories and even worse characters. There was some decent action, but there was no skeleton to hold it up. Even ridiculous 80s action movies had SOMETHING to support the action, if only the charisma of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Once I realized that they were just going to be big, loud, dumb action movies with Trek characters and locales and situations, it was easier for me to just sit back and enjoy the ride... though I don't really think either one was a great movie. And if I listed my favorite Trek media, they would be pretty close to the bottom.

But I don't hate them. I thought they were entertaining enough in their own way. I don't really consider them official Trek canon in my mind. More like a fan-fiction story that made it to the big screen.

I have the feeling that's the way I'm going to need to view all future Star Wars releases...

Commuting has been absolutely brutal the last couple of days. The subway has been closed, or running with major delays; traffic has been unbelievably heavy (all of us subway commuters trying to all drive in at once, no doubt...); there's nowhere to park, either on the street or in the garages; oh... and we had a giant parade today... so every Patriots fan in New England skipped work, drove in, parked, and stood in front of the door where I needed to go in to get to work.

And I am really, REALLY looking for the 2 feet of additional snow we are supposed to get in the next couple of days. That will really make everything even more awesome. :dozey::rolleyes:

The upside: Driving down most of the streets around here is like being in a white, lumpy, cold and wet Death Star trench. The plows have made walls on both sides that are generally higher than the roof of my car... Though, there's not much in the way of passing anyone who stops in front of you.

Projected year-end post count after January: 1,752

I feel like I'm dodging some bullets but not others with all of this snow: I haven't had a night of actual bowling postponed/canceled yet, but Coke league had to postpone for a second week.

Some good news out of my league tonight, which I haven't really posted on my blog yet, but sort of teased in one of the files I have in my author's section of the sidebar: I won all of my brackets last week, which was the first time that's happened. :)

Archived