Home

Playtest 1-21-2015 Discussion

razorace

Latest OJP build. Get OJP Here!

We currently have a selection of builds using two different source code branches. One is based off of the latest JKE (Jedi Knight Enhanced/OJP 1.4) code base. The other is based on the latest OJP 1.2 code (from when I originally retired from OJP).

We're currently comparing the two code branches to see which branch we want to work from for OJPA.

• 2 weeks later...
Latest OJP build. Get OJP Here!

We currently have a selection of builds using two different source code branches. One is based off of the latest JKE (Jedi Knight Enhanced/OJP 1.4) code base. The other is based on the latest OJP 1.2 code (from when I originally retired from OJP).

We're currently comparing the two code branches to see which branch we want to work from for OJPA.

I tried out 3 different builds a week ago and just have time to post now lol. There REALLY needs to be change logs with these ;P I'll have to give the newer ones more of a review later because I forgot most of the things I noticed already lol. The only think I remember on the newer regular OJP build is that the player health/force/balance UI does not label what any of the meters mean so it would likely be even more confusing to new players than the 1.2 UIs. I like the fact that the balance meter was reversed but it should be labeled "balance." Oh yeah, and the Default balance/mishap auto regen should not be set to 0 by default because it makes it all about defense.

The JKE merge with OJP was a fairly fun interesting change that is very unbalanced. Alot of fun OJP combat features are also missing because of the change but its not heard to figure out what they are. Anyways, my biggest issue with the JKE was that the easiest strategy for killing anything is just "parry to swing spam" combo which any seasoned OJP player could do in their sleep. Therefore, I'll be amazed if any player wants to swing period once they learn the system Also, because the users saber has to be hit in order to block or parry makes me worry about couch swing spam or lung spam.

In order for this OJP/JKE combo to be a viable combat system that isn't all about staring eachother down defensively, these concerns will almost certainly have to be addressed. I might have a few ideas to fix this, but I'm not sure I want to spend too much time on something that isn't completely OJP...but I'll throw them out there if you want.

There is a changelog in the docs folder of your install.

The more recent builds have removed the balance attribute entirely and linked mishaps to the player's fatigue point level.

As for over defense, I think the newer combat flow approach should help with that. Several of the guys are very aggressive players who are able to balance parrying with hard attacking.

Finally, based on our internal playtests, we're going to start OJPA using OJP 1.2 as a base and add in JKE as needed. JKE had too many partially finished systems to be able to figure everything out.

There is a changelog in the docs folder of your install.

The more recent builds have removed the balance attribute entirely and linked mishaps to the player's fatigue point level.

As for over defense, I think the newer combat flow approach should help with that. Several of the guys are very aggressive players who are able to balance parrying with hard attacking.

Finally, based on our internal playtests, we're going to start OJPA using OJP 1.2 as a base and add in JKE as needed. JKE had too many partially finished systems to be able to figure everything out.

OK, I didn't see any updated change logs but I'll check again when I have time. I'm not sure what you mean by "mishaps based on players fatigue" but I'm really hoping it doesn't mean force points because I thought we learned that lesson years ago on why that's a bad idea.

Anyways, I've always thought that good defense in this mod should be learned and built up rather than being the focus of combat. There is alot more immediate visual gratification if a new player comes in who is naturally a good comboer but not as good yet at parrying. That speedly back and forth action is what makes our system so much cooler looking than MB2 system where they mostly just hover around eachother looking for an opening.

Most of the vets who even still play often have 5 minute+ long duels with the aggressive combat style...I'm not even sure I want to know how long the duels would be with even greater defensive focus...

Ok so I just played through the newest build on the list and I'm not really sure whats going on with it....Alot of features are missing or messed up and I'm not sure whats new or improved. Here's a list so far:

-Reposits are gone as far as I can tell...why? That means several features are gone..

-Ledge hang is gone..even with jump 3 and acrobats added...huh?

-force fall is gone...

-speed is weird and super buggy unless flying across the map is intentional

-lightning doesn't really work and was way cooler (though slightly overpowerd) in 1.2

-balance/mishap bar doesn't regenerate with parries and I'm not sure if it does anything anymore

-kicks always result in a stumble or knockdown...spam city.

-you can no longer move people with Grip 3 (or use them as a baseball bat with it which was too much fun before)

-Tabbots will sometimes just stop swinging (probably because of low stats) and just stare at you until you kick them over. I get the feeling someone was trying to make them play defensively but this needs some tweaking bad.

-Push and pull knockdown is a little confusing...unless you're suppose to target them which makes sense.

-The screen sometimes starts shaking like an earthquake...

-I didn't really test the gun system but the point stats UI is confusing and I'm not sure what Acrobatics is suppose to do..

Anyways, Yeah I could definitely use that updated change log so I can figure out whats going on with the new builds :D I'll also try to give some suggestions on saber stats on your other thread tomorrow if I have time.

Archived