Home

EMI on Vista?

PirateMindTrick

The game is installed properly from what I can tell, and I am using the launcher from quickandeasy with the game patched to version 1.1 on the default resolution of 600x800 640x480. Everything works fine until I try to enter the Palace o' Prostheses on Lucre Island, where the game hangs (the scene freezes, but the background music continues to play) and after a few seconds crashes back to the desktop saying that Monkey4.exe has stopped working.

Previously I had issues with the cutscene involving the bank vault doing the same thing and I assumed it was a scratched disk until I discovered that it was just the launcher not being able to find the movie file, at which point I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game completely and made sure the cutscene files were in the program files folder, and I haven't had any more problems with that particular part, but I'm stumped as far as trying to remedy the other crash. Has anyone else ever experienced and been able to fix this?

I have also tried running in compatibility with Windows 98 and Me, as well as running the program as an administrator program, but to no avail.

Edit: Oops, my mistake. I listed the resolution as 600x800. It is actually 640x480, the default.

The game also now crashes when I try to go into my inventory. It did not do this before.

I'm going to attempt to uninstall and reinstall once more. The two .dll files I have read that I need to have are both on the disk and functioning just fine.

Edit #2: I've re-installed the game and patched it to version 1.1 with the alternate launcher (though I used the original MI4 installer). I didn't keep my previous saved games which were the ones I was having trouble with trying to open the inventory in, so having started over on Mêlée Island again, I don't know if when I get to Lucre Island I will continue having trouble with the bank cutscene OR trying to enter the Prosthetics shop.

Edit #3: The bank cutscene will not load and causes the game to hang, but by pressing escape I can manage to skip the cutscene and get into the vault. However, when I watch the cutscene from the pause menu it loads and plays fine. Trying to enter the Palace o' Prostheses is still doing what I described. Also, I can see now that some of the inventory models are missing, like the music box. The bait WAS missing the first time I installed the game, but seems to be a-okay now.

Edit #4: Now I'm getting errors in trying to start the game in the quick and easy launcher. It says it cannot find the registry keys and it cannot locate the CD in the drive. It just tells me to please make sure the CD is in the drive. It's behaving as though the game isn't even installed now, even though I haven't changed anything since reinstalling as mentioned in my second edit note. This IS a legally purchased-from-LucasArts copy of EMI and is clean and unscratched. My mother found it in her room last week.

I've uninstalled the game again for now. As much as I hate to admit it I think the CD might be corrupt, so I'm going to have my mom buy another from amazon and hope that my unlucky nature doesn't land me another jacked up copy.

In the meantime, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived