Home

[TSL] Sabine Wren as PC

spike_xp

Hi, are there any mods for:

- Head/portrait model

- Mandalorian armor/helmet

for Sabine Wren?

I'd like to start a new rp playthrough with her. Just the models should work fine, I can start learning to reskin/recolor but I've tried modelling before and it didn't work out that well ^^;

Thanks in advance. Google didn't play out well for me so I ended up here.

There are no existing mods that I am aware of.

Helmet mods aren't too much of a drama, besides making them big enough to avoid clipping. The blasters would also be pretty simple.

You could probably use PFHA03 for the head, seems like a fairly reasonable match, although the hair is a bit shorter in the back. Just needs a recolour of the hair to purple with orange highlights.

TSL_PFHA03_TH.jpg

As for a body/armour model, I dunno about that. Possibly PFBHM could be a starting point, but there's really nothing in the vanilla armours like Sabine's mix of armour pieces over clothes/exposed skin. You could cobble together something from existing models, but could you get it into the game? I have no idea. Someone more familiar with it would have to chime in on the practicality of it.

Actually I've looked up a few things like canon Exile (Meetra Surik) and some Mandy helm/armor mods. Some looked suitable but I haven't really dive into modding yet (if someone has it on WIP then I wouldn't have to start at all at least :p ). Problem with the Mandy armors is whether I can fit it into women body since afaik all the Mandy armors mods are male only. Everytime I checked the screenies they shown me women on a man's body.

Is there anything I should know before attempting to modify someone else's mod(s)? Legal stuffs etc? The basic modding concept I know for almost all games is the 'extract, modify, install' concept. I have to learn the 'modifying' part to make it fit the game.

I had a crack at the helmet:

TSL_Sabine_Helmet_01_TH.jpg

And here's a quick and dirty in-game test:

TSL_Sabine_Helmet_02_TH.jpg

Needs some minor positioning adjustment, as the way masks work doesn't really provide any solid point of reference where it will end up positioned in the game.

Edit: Got it UV mapped, although as ever I need to go back and fix MDLOps mangling shared edges. Also need to adjust the inside a bit, as I noticed you can see a bit further underneath than I was anticipating.

TSL_Sabine_Helmet_03_TH.jpg

Also did her pair of WESTAR-35 blaster pistols, with separate mapping for different colours (both share a 2k texture with the helmet):

TSL_Sabine_Blasters_01_TH.jpg

I did a quick test in-game, but the positioning is way off, need to play with that.

I had a crack at the helmet:

Edit: Got it UV mapped, although as ever I need to go back and fix MDLOps mangling shared edges.

As a particular notice here:

One way to get around this was to convert the object in 3DSMax to an Editable Poly, select all of the trouble-edges in 3DSMax, and then go to the right-hand menu. Then go down to the "Edit Geometry" section and select the MSmooth button.

This will result in a few more poly in the model, but it is smoother in-game.

Also, KAuora does have better support for smoothing groups. Combining the above MSmooth method with compiling the hat I ripped off Admiral Dodonna's head, I got this in-game:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
WBKqZLj.jpg

It's not a smoothing problem per se, it's a UV problem. Any shared edges between islands have to be detached, otherwise the UVs get scrambled as MDLOps presumably tries to keep them contiguous. Of course then you get a smoothing problem, as anywhere with a UV seam necessarily has to become a hard edge. Which is a serious pisser when you want to split UVs right up the guts of what would otherwise be a single smoothing group.

I've been trying to find the pattern but PFHC05's rear hair shares the color of her bangs (or so I thought). Can't use that one. PFHA03 looks promising but someone gotta remodel the rear hair.

It looks like you lost the alpha when exporting. Make sure to export your TGA as 32bit, not 24bit.

I did save it as 32bit. I was using an old Photoshop and there were another option(s) left uncheck. Maybe that was the cause. I'm not really familiar with targa.

Yep, I'm still here (and on Deadlystream), although not so often as I want to.

Feel free to modify my mod as you see fit (btw, I recommend you to use version 4.2).

Oh cool :) Yea at first I saw your mod there. A question though, do the armors fit female body? I've seen Mandy's default armors and it seems that they don't have female version of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had time to get back to this, and won't have any in the future either, so here are the files as-is:

http://dpmods.wheb.org/files/kotor/tsl/[TSL]_Sabine_Wren_Helmet_Blasters_WIP.7z

Includes:

• Helmet and two blaster models, set up in 3DS Max 2010 .MAX format (requires NWMax I/O script)
  • ASCII MDLs if you only have GMax
  • Binary MDLs as they currently stand for in-game testing purposes
  • Some basic UTIs and icons for in-game testing purposes

Notes:

The helmet still needs island boundary polys detached to prevent the UVs being screwed up by MDLOps. I think the blasters do as well, but I can't remember whether I already did them or not. I did some quick and dirty positioning of the blasters, one a little off to try and counteract the gimped offhand weapon positioning, but that will need some experimentation and fine tuning. All three models share a single 2K texture, but the supplied one is just the UV map, you'll have to do your own texturing. Also note that the helmet was specifically sized to fit PFHA03, so you will almost certainly get clipping issues with some other heads.

You are free to release a public mod of your own using modified versions of these files, but you must credit me as the original creator of the models.

Archived