Home

Grim Fandango fan art project at GoG

ZaXeriaw

Well, at the risk of being majorly negative, I thought #1 was a little too straight-from-Peter-Chan. Good enough for fan work, definitely, but contest-winning? Maybe not. It's not so much Photoshop as it is Xerox. Sorry.

#2 has definite possibilities. The idea of the thing is fine but you've got Manny and, worse, the scythe pushed off toward the margins. For some reason I've got in my head something along the lines of the part in year 4 when Manny has found Sal's body and scythes away the flowers: a POV shot from below with the scythe more or less pointing at the 'camera' as it's swung and occupying most of the frame. And a hint of bad-ass. Or just something, anything, were the scythe is more the visual center of it all.

I'm not sure I get #3. From the blood on the text and the walking stick, I'm guessing you're alluding to Celso's line about breaking the stick over the heads of some monsters in the forest? If that's so, maybe the stick should be broken and the knob resting in the shards of a skull. Beaver, maybe. Do burning demon beavers have blood?

(I'm not participating in that contest. I can criticize other people's work with the best of them, but when it comes to the graphic arts I'm basically in the stick-figure-with-three-fingered-ball-hands-entitled-'mommy' league.)

Well, at the risk of being majorly negative, I thought #1 was a little too straight-from-Peter-Chan. Good enough for fan work, definitely, but contest-winning? Maybe not. It's not so much Photoshop as it is Xerox. Sorry.

I think you are right on that one. I actually stopped working on it, after posting here, due to some of the reasons you named ... it was just to play around with coloring black and white drawings, and make them fit into a custom made background :¬:

I'm not sure I get #3. From the blood on the text and the walking stick, I'm guessing you're alluding to Celso's line about breaking the stick over the heads of some monsters in the forest? If that's so, maybe the stick should be broken and the knob resting in the shards of a skull. Beaver, maybe. Do burning demon beavers have blood?

Well, I removed the blood, and trying to replace it with some "sprout effect", but I am not trying to make any references to Celso's journey, or the fight with the beavers, but that is actually not a bad idea!

(I'm not participating in that contest. I can criticize other people's work with the best of them, but when it comes to the graphic arts I'm basically in the stick-figure-with-three-fingered-ball-hands-entitled-'mommy' league.)

Well, I'm just a software developer, who was sick of waiting for the design department to complete some simple tasks, and learned some photoshop basics by myself ... but serious missing the creative mind :rolleyes:

Well, I'm just a software developer, who was sick of waiting for the design department to complete some simple tasks, and learned some photoshop basics by myself ... but serious missing the creative mind :rolleyes:

Oh, I don't know. I still like the idea of #2 best, although I'm not too crazy about my critique any more. I'm not so sure I really know why I think the composition is off, so maybe it's just me. But it comes off as almost poetic, somehow, and that seems to work somehow.

Which gives me the idea that some of the poetry lines could lead to some interesting posters if someone had a good enough visual imagination (which isn't me). I'd like to see what someone could make out of "Can you hear me saying nothing?" or "Confuse yourselves!" Or even "Don't pet the cat that way."

Archived