Home

Alpha Protocol for PC

MsFicwriter

Has anyone ever played this - er, excuse me, TRIED to play AP on PC? I am having such a hard time with it. The controls are so clunky and awkward, especially for using guns, and I can't even get past the first lock picking game.

Are there any mods that can fix this, or did I just waste 15 bucks?

LOL, thank you for this thread! I got Alpha Protocol on PC a VERY long time ago and then stopped at that very first lockpick and then never went back to it and just forgot about it until I came in here.

The other thing that urks me is the motion blur when you move the camera, that thing is NUTS.

Ah, Alpha Protocol. There is a good game in there, but sometimes it can seem like it is buried fairly deep. It's a pretty good example of what consolification and terrible ports have done to the PC, and an equally good example of how "action-RPGs" often result in the merging of the worst aspects of both genres.

I don't know about mods, but there are a few ini tweaks around that smooth off some of the rough edges, but there are a few aspects that are fundamentally terrible that can't be fixed (like the bloody awful hacking controls). I think there was a compilation of them over on the official Obsidian forums. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find them.

I wouldn't say you wasted your money.

So your advice is to play it on a console instead? Or is there Xbox 360 controller support for it on PC at the very least?

EDIT: Also, lol consolification.

EDIT 2: Just checked, looks like it does support the 360 controller, cool, guess I'll go that route if I ever get back to trying that game after my backlog of more important games to play... I really should play this game at some point though, see what all the fuss is about.

Has anyone ever played this - er, excuse me, TRIED to play AP on PC? I am having such a hard time with it. The controls are so clunky and awkward, especially for using guns, and I can't even get past the first lock picking game.

Are there any mods that can fix this, or did I just waste 15 bucks?

I've finished it a couple of times on PC. Admittedly, I didn't even try to monkey with the keyboard and mouse, as I was used to playing on the 360 so used the controller instead.

And because Mimi can never hear it enough: if you genuinely can't figure out the hacking, put a point or two in the tech skill and use EMPs instead. :D

Heh, yeah it's a pretty poor excuse for quitting. After a couple of playthroughs I went the EMP route myself. Once you get a couple of missions in, you can get gear with plenty of slots to carry enough to see you through any mission (with enough room for a few extra gadgets like grenades, flashbangs, noise makers, etc.).

I wouldn't say it's a poor reason to quit, if a game doesn't click with you, it doesn't click with you. Sure, it's better to keep going just in case it does get better later on... but people don't really have to do that if they have other games to play that have more of a chance to appeal to them.

I turned off the Y-axis inversion, and I still can't get past the stupid lockpicking mini-game!
Wish I could help you. FWIW, you can use EMPs on the locks too.

Skyrim I have played well over 100 hours. I just can finish the main quest.
According to Steam I've spent 2142 hours in northern Tamriel. Is there a "shame" emoticon?

• 2 months later...

Archived