Home

[News] Episode VIII release date May 26, 2017; Directed by Rian Johnson (+spinoff)

HED

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii

“Star Wars: Episode VIII” has a release date of May 26, 2017, which is 40 years and a day after the original “Star Wars” premiered in theaters. Rian Johnson was confirmed to write and direct.

The title of the first planned “Star Wars” standalone spinoff film has been revealed as “Rogue One,” to be directed by the previously announced Gareth Edwards (“Godzilla”) and written by Chris Weitz (reported in January as joining the film). Felicity Jones is official as the first performer cast in the standalone, which has a release date of Dec. 16, 2016.

I'm surprised to see John Knoll having some involvement in the story for the spin-off. And Rian Johnson being open about his respect for all six movies is refreshing.

Still, my excitement for the sequel trilogy got a major blow when George confirmed that they didn't follow the story he wrote for it. As nice as it is to see more Star Wars on the big screen, the incessant pandering to ignorant "fans" with the whole "CG vs pratical effects" marketing and the fact that George's involvement is slim to none makes it seem like high-budget licensed fan fiction. And good or bad, that's how I'll treat every new movie or product from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived