Home

modding--can you directly edit the config.meg file?

jpmoney

I have just started trying to mod Empire at War. I have the original EAW game with patch 1.05 installed. The game came with the Star Wars The Best of PC package (includes four other games). I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but following all the instructions I can find on the web doesn't seem to allow me to actually mod anything.

I've extracted the config.meg XML files and tried making modifications to several of them, placed them in an XML folder in the GameData/Data folder and...nothing. It doesn't work. I even tried changing the name of config.meg in case that file was interfering with the modified XML files. That just prevents the game from starting.

I've tried to directly modify the config.meg file, and make sure to keep it as a .meg and not convert it to a .txt. But even the tiniest modifications to that file seem to prevent the game from starting too.

All I really want to do is just add more troopers to the Rebel Infiltrator team because I think it's too small to be overly useful. I've tried messing with the "<Max_Squad_Size>" setting and just adding additional "Rebel_Infiltrator" soldiers in the section that of the config.meg file that describes the infiltrator team. Nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? Any help for a noob!? :)

Edit: I am using windows 7 professional

Any help, friends? How does the EAW application know to bypass the config.meg file in favor of the xml files anyway? I don't get that. I'm following instructions like the ones found here: http://www.lfnetwork.com/~empireat/faqs/modding.htm, but like I said creating and modifying the xml files isn't doing anything. I can't imagine why it would without deleting or otherwise bypassing confit.meg. Has anyone experienced this? Point me in the right direction?

Assuming you did add the additional "Rebel Infiltrators" to the infiltrator team, that should actually doing so I don't know with certainty what is going wrong... How did you edit and save the xml files?

I have tried two general strategies.

1. XML method: I used "EAWExtractor" to extract the XML files from the config.meg file. I then edited the "groundcompaniesrebel" xml file in Notepad. I make sure it's still an XML file when I save (not converted to notepad or anything). I then create a folder in the "GameData" folder called "XML" with all the XML files (including the modified file). I then start the game. Game plays, but nothing is different.

2. Directly modify config.meg: Instead of extracting XML files using EAWExtractor, I open the huge config.meg file in Notepad, find the appropriate block of code, and modify it in the exact same way as modifying the XML file from method 1. I then save, making sure that config.meg does NOT convert to Notepad--it stays .meg. I start the game. The game won't start. It gives me some kind of stack message about it terminating in an unusual way OR it just doesn't start at all.

So what am I doing wrong? I still don't understand how EAW bypasses the config.meg file using method 1 above. How does creating an XML folder in GameData actually do anything? Doesn't the game still just ignore that folder and read from config.meg for what it needs? That certainly seems to be the case when I try method 1--which is why I tried method 2.

Erm.. aside from the Gamedata folder, is there also a folder known as "Data"? (C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption\Data).

This is where I save modded files in and that works for me.

GameData is a folder within the Data folder. So you're saying you drop your XML folder in Data? I'm at work so I can't put the exact path, but mine looks something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\Data\GameData. GameData is where the config.meg file is located.

GameData is a folder within the Data folder. So you're saying you drop your XML folder in Data? I'm at work so I can't put the exact path, but mine looks something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\Data\GameData. GameData is where the config.meg file is located.

Oops, I had it backwards. Data is a folder within GameData. Here's the full path where I'm putting the XML folder with all the XML files in it: M:\PROGRAMS AND FILES\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data. But when I've done that, the XML files don't seem to make a difference--like the game is ignoring them. Why WOULDN'T the game ignore them? Does anyone know? I fundamentally don't understand why these XML files would mod the game. What instruction within the application says "read these XMLs?"

1) You are required to have ALL the XML files in their folder (For the game) in the folder for it to work. (It should look like Star Wars Empire At War\GameData\Data\XML\RandomXMLfile.XML )

2) If you're trying to mod Forces Of Corruption, they have their own specific XML files.

If you have teamviewer or something of the sort, I can take a look at it, and that would be significantly easier.

1) You are required to have ALL the XML files in their folder (For the game) in the folder for it to work. (It should look like Star Wars Empire At War\GameData\Data\XML\RandomXMLfile.XML )

2) If you're trying to mod Forces Of Corruption, they have their own specific XML files.

If you have teamviewer or something of the sort, I can take a look at it, and that would be significantly easier.

1. Path = M:\PROGRAMS AND FILES\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data\Xml. When I used EAWExtractor, it created an XML folder with all of the XML files included in it (plus two folders called "Ai" and "Enum." I put that folder into the Data folder--hence the path above.

2. I don't have FOC, just EAW.

I appreciate your help. Here are some pics that may help us figure it out. Hopefully these links work:

EAW Main Folder:

Pic1_zpswdfw2b8w.png

Open up the main folder and we get this:

Pic2_zpspz04nelo.png

Next layer:

Pic3_zpsnsttku7h.png

The Xml folder here was added by me--I put that folder here after I used EAWExtractor:

Pic4_zpsod99uwyt.png

Here are the XML files in the Xml folder:

Pic5_zpstb4ds2mj.png

Leave the AI & Enum in the XML folder. They're XML variants of the LUA scripts.

So, after editing it like that, it still doesn't work?

Also, certain units can't be added outright together like that. Rebel Infiltrator & a Rebel soldier is a good example. Rebel soldiers have the SPREAD OUT Ability, while Infiltrators have a different one. If you put them in the same squad, it can have odd side-effects.

If you want to add more troops to a specific squad, add in extra units in the <Company_Units> Tags.

<Company_Units> 
Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper 
</Company_Units>

Into

<Company_Units> 
Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper 
</Company_Units>

That would change the number of units from 6 to 9.

You then should change the

<Max_Squad_Size> # </Max_Squad_Size>

to a number more suitable for your new units. In this case, it'd be 3.

Leave the AI & Enum in the XML folder. They're XML variants of the LUA scripts.

So, after editing it like that, it still doesn't work?

Also, certain units can't be added outright together like that. Rebel Infiltrator & a Rebel soldier is a good example. Rebel soldiers have the SPREAD OUT Ability, while Infiltrators have a different one. If you put them in the same squad, it can have odd side-effects.

If you want to add more troops to a specific squad, add in extra units in the <Company_Units> Tags.

<Company_Units> 
Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper 
</Company_Units>

Into

<Company_Units> 
Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper, Squad_Rebel_Trooper 
</Company_Units>

That would change the number of units from 6 to 9.

You then should change the

<Max_Squad_Size> # </Max_Squad_Size>

to a number more suitable for your new units. In this case, it'd be 3.

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I'm doing. In the case of the Infiltrators, I'm going to the XML file called "Groundcompaniesrebel," finding the Infiltrator block of code, and just adding two "Rebel_Infiltrator" entries to the "<Company_Units/> part. I'm keeping the squad at 1. As far as I can tell, that should give me 1 squad of 4 infiltrators per infiltrator unit. When I start the game though and load a save game, nothing is different. Do I have to start a new game or something?

Edit: I should add too that it's not just modding the infiltrators that doesn't seem to do anything. Increasing the size of an X-wing or Y-wing squadron doesn't seem to do anything either.

Are you making sure you're adding in the correct commas and everything?

I'm somewhat at a loss.

So you're modding the original game and no forces of corruption. Let's try a test.

In Campaigns_Singleplayer.XML go to "The Lines Are Drawn" section and simple remove all the rebels from one of their planets. Then start that galactic conquest. If there is a planet missing units, or if you get a notification that the empire captured a planet without fighting you, then it worked. If it didn't, we'll go from there.

Are you making sure you're adding in the correct commas and everything?

I'm somewhat at a loss.

So you're modding the original game and no forces of corruption. Let's try a test.

In Campaigns_Singleplayer.XML go to "The Lines Are Drawn" section and simple remove all the rebels from one of their planets. Then start that galactic conquest. If there is a planet missing units, or if you get a notification that the empire captured a planet without fighting you, then it worked. If it didn't, we'll go from there.

THAT WORKED! I modified that file in the way you mentioned. When I removed all the Rebel troops from a world, the game started with that world empty (neutral). I tried it multiple times with different worlds and each time it had the same effect.

So that modification does seem to work. I then thought that maybe the mods only affect the Galactic Conquest (sandbox) games and not the campaign mode (which is what I've been playing). But I loaded a Galactic Conquest save and still no changes. Do we know for sure if modding a game that's already in progress actually works?

THAT WORKED! I modified that file in the way you mentioned. When I removed all the Rebel troops from a world, the game started with that world empty (neutral). I tried it multiple times with different worlds and each time it had the same effect.

So that modification does seem to work. I then thought that maybe the mods only affect the Galactic Conquest (sandbox) games and not the campaign mode (which is what I've been playing). But I loaded a Galactic Conquest save and still no changes. Do we know for sure if modding a game that's already in progress actually works?

Bumping this. See above. This looks like we're on the right track, but can't figure out why modifying one XML file would work but others don't have an effect. Any thoughts?

You shouldn't try loading previous saves when modding, it doesn't always work.

Okay, so I tried starting new games using some of my modifications, and this appears to be working in some cases and not in others. For example, the number of infiltrators in my infiltrator team is now increased to 4.

However, I'm trying to modify the number of ships in X-wing and Y-wing squadrons. I opened SpaceUnitsFighters xml and tried to increase the number of ships in the squadrons from 5 to 6 and 3 to 6 respectively. No effect. Any thoughts on the correct line of code here to modify the number of ships in a squadron? It seems obvious, but maybe I'm not updating the right place...

Ah, for Squadrons you have to open Squadrons.xml and look for the X-Wing and Y-Wing Squadron. There you have to search for the line <Squadron_Units> and add more X/Y-Wings to the bunch.

Right underneath that you find <Squadron_Offsets> of which you have to add as many instances as how much additional fighters you have added to the squadron. These lines determine how the individual units in a squadron are positioned and need some experimenting to get right. Hope that helps :)

Ah, for Squadrons you have to open Squadrons.xml and look for the X-Wing and Y-Wing Squadron. There you have to search for the line <Squadron_Units> and add more X/Y-Wings to the bunch.

Right underneath that you find <Squadron_Offsets> of which you have to add as many instances as how much additional fighters you have added to the squadron. These lines determine how the individual units in a squadron are positioned and need some experimenting to get right. Hope that helps :)

Awesome, thank you! I will give this a try.

Good luck :) one side-note though: for reasons I don't know you can not add more than 12 units in a single squadron. If you do this it will in fact split up in multiple squadrons. This isn't a game breaking issue (I actually do this intentionally in my mod) but it is worth mentioning though.

Good luck :) one side-note though: for reasons I don't know you can not add more than 12 units in a single squadron. If you do this it will in fact split up in multiple squadrons. This isn't a game breaking issue (I actually do this intentionally in my mod) but it is worth mentioning though.

Thanks again! The squad mods worked!

I've been reading trying to find out how to affect the "strong against" and "vulnerable to" aspects of the game. It looks like it has to do with the armor and shield types--but I'm not sure what to change. Is there a way to make corvettes (like the Tartan cruiser and the Corellian corvette) less effective against fighters? I'd like fighters to be able to hold their own better against these vessels, but I'm not sure how to tone down their effectiveness. Do you know how to do that? I know the Tartan cruisers has a special ability that I can take away, but how can I make its (and the Corellian Corvette) lasers less powerful against fighters?

Gameconstants.XML

Scroll down until you see stuff that looks like this;

<Damage_To_Armor_Mod> Damage_Default, Armor_Default, 1 </Damage_To_Armor_Mod>

Find the correct damage type, and change the variable. Try not to make a new armor/damage type, it will take a long time.

Gameconstants.XML

Scroll down until you see stuff that looks like this;

<Damage_To_Armor_Mod> Damage_Default, Armor_Default, 1 </Damage_To_Armor_Mod>

Find the correct damage type, and change the variable. Try not to make a new armor/damage type, it will take a long time.

Thanks again T! I will look for this tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Another question (and I appreciate everyone's help with all my questions--I'm getting there!). Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock Mon Calamari Cruisers in "Campaign" mode (the story-driven mode) earlier in the campaign? When I set the locked value to "No" in the Spaceunitscapital.xml it seems to cause problems in Campaign mode (game just won't start). I'm guessing there are other modifications (maybe events-based?) that must be made too.

Never tried to modify the original empire at war, so I don't really know why it would be causing the campaign to break. Try looking in xml files labeled "Story_Campaign_Rebel_Whatever.xml" and find where the event is, that you unlock Squid Cruisers. Make a copy of that file, then delete the line(s) of code. Then change

<Build_Initially_Locked>Yes</Build_Initially_Locked>
<Build_Can_Be_Unlocked_By_Slicer>Yes</Build_Can_Be_Unlocked_By_Slicer>
<Slice_Cost_Credits>2000</Slice_Cost_Credits>
<Tech_Level>4</Tech_Level>

To

<Build_Initially_Locked>No</Build_Initially_Locked>
<Build_Can_Be_Unlocked_By_Slicer>No</Build_Can_Be_Unlocked_By_Slicer>
<Slice_Cost_Credits />
<Tech_Level />

Archived