Home

RIP Kotorfiles

Canderis

Hey guys, long time lurker over on KotorFiles, never really stopped going there since 2007 or so. Went back for my weekly peek and the website was down. Is it confirmed dead? Man, everything went to hell back in 2011 and it seemed like the site never recovered. Last files I saw posted there were posted back in December 2014.

Anyway, just in case anyone cares to archive these, all the mods are still available on Gamefront. http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Star_Wars_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/ Too bad they don't seem organized in any way. I think this might cover both games lumped in with each other. If not, here's K2's site as well. http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-the-sith/

God, I hope this is a mistake or something. Luckily I recently decided to go through all of K1's mods over there and download what I liked, but I never did get around to doing any of K2. Kicking myself now. Ugh, just feels like an end of an era.

It does. Kotorfiles was the premier source for K1 and K2 mods for me (and probably a lot of others as well) from 2008 or 2009 onwards. But you bring up a good point. I'm curious as to whether it's been confirmed. I seem to recall the site having some server issues or something in the past.

Oh, man. So all of the network sites are down? That's a bummer. Still, as many people have the mods already downloaded, hopefully they'll be reuploaded with another file hosting service eventually, as GameFront doesn't seem very eager to restore them.

Oh man, this is terrible! :( I used to be on that site downloading away like crazy every single day, for years. Then I took a long hiatus from KOTOR (thanks mostly to Mass Effect) and recently got back into it. I've been over at KOTOR Files these past few weeks downloading new mods for my "rebooted" play-through (where I uninstalled all of my previous mods, because they were too numerous and conflicting, and started over from scratch). Looks like I returned just in time. I literally was present by its deathbed.

And by the looks of it, this erases my other favorite mod sight on there as well: Jedi Knight 3 Files. :( It, along with KOTOR Files, LucasArts, and the entire Expanded Universe, can now cross over into the Netherworld of the Force. Memory eternal.

Ahhh $%^*!

That's unfortunate but perhaps not unforeseen. Is deadly stream still around with M4-78 and the TSLRCM?

At any rate I'm sure sites like Nexus mods and the like will start posting.

@Sith Holocron: Ey homie, I know of one place though it's more of a file host than an actual mod hosting site. Dropbox. I've gotten numerous things this way. What you and others could do is actually make a DeviantArt account, making 'deviation' pages linking downloads at DropBox and similar. People are already doing this for Street Fighter 4 mods and other games. Also allowing one to download ripped game models for use in programs like XNA Posing Studio and XNALara.

I'm actually surprised YOU haven't been doing this.

BTW, I see little to no way of actually enforcing stopping anyone from posting mods without the author's permission. This was something we did as code of honor but even so we skirted this a bit ourselves.

I looked into TSLRCM some time ago, but I think I opted not to install it in favor of manually installing restored content because the RCM conflicted with a few added content mods I liked. Still, it's great to know that it's still in circulation online.

I believe there used to be a combined effort that predated this incarnation of TSLRCM that worked towards the same end known as Team Gizka? Can anyone tell me whatever happened to them?

Gizka got mucked up due to someone either infighting or dropping the ball. Finally someone had enough waiting after the project was something like 5 or 6 years old and leaked an incomplete beta version. While it was okay from my understanding, a lot of people felt it should have been complete. And really not to put down their efforts they did a great job for what they could. But it became stalled ot a standstill after this point.

TSLRCM has since been revised and now is compatible with M4-78 AFAIK. I think the authors have their own page. I'll check later.

I'm not sure what it'd take but an expansion on the HotF mod by MidKnightR to make the crystals usable in short and double sabers, but that'd be handy.

Did Team Gizka also do the Sleheyron restored content that never got past a beta for K1?

Speaking of which, how is K1 restoration going these days? I've wanted to do a walkthrough for YouTube for some time now, but I've just been biding my time until more restored content is released.

I installed the K1 Restoration Mod and most of the restored content didn't manifest itself in the game, probably due to conflicting mods. Same with the Sunry murder video mod: didn't happen in my game. :(

Anyway, I wish there was some sort of warning from in inside so that someone could have gone to work on backing up all of the mods instead of only some of them.

Did Team Gizka also do the Sleheyron restored content that never got past a beta for K1?

No. I think either Sith Holocron or Canderis would know who did (if it wasn't one of them).

Speaking of which, how is K1 restoration going these days? I've wanted to do a walkthrough for YouTube for some time now, but I've just been biding my time until more restored content is released.

I don't believe there was ever very much cut content, at least not like in K2. This was being done by Team Hutt (at least at one point) I believe.

There were small minor things like Deadeye Duncan on manaan which defies explanation, hence it was cut. There was something on Kasshyyk as a nod to prequel trilogy goings on with Master Voss and his twi'lek apprentice C'aayla Secura.

Maybe a few small items which didn't get used.

I'm speaking from cursory knowledge. I have not played K1 sonce 2009, and K2 since 2010. I'm looking at taking another plunge on credit to finally complete that machine that I've been otherwise too poor to afford. This one refuses to play games anymore. Long story.

I installed the K1 Restoration Mod and most of the restored content didn't manifest itself in the game, probably due to conflicting mods. Same with the Sunry murder video mod: didn't happen in my game. :(

Anyway, I wish there was some sort of warning from in inside so that someone could have gone to work on backing up all of the mods instead of only some of them.

Yeah really.

No. It was a different modding team. I cannot recall the name (though I want to say it was Team Kyrat, but that may be wrong)

BUT there is this:

http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/31-kotor1-restoration-k1r/

Coming soon.

1.0 is out.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/31-kotor1-restoration-k1r/

Team Hutt were the ones that did the beta of Sleheyron. As far as I know they didn't have much more than a map to go on, which is probably why it fell by the wayside.

K1 had quite a bit of cut content actually but unlike K2 it was mostly due to pacing issues. Vulkar Base sub level, Gamorrean Stronghold, some sort of temple on Tatooine, and a cut level of the Shadowlands for example. Stuff like that was probably cut for good reason. Taris was certainly long enough as is. I do wish Bioware had finished Sleheyron though. The game sorely missed a volcanic level. There was also the romance with Juhani that was cut, and several Dark Side endings that involved self sacrifice. These two bits are sorely missed as well.

K1 Restoration project seems solid though it does restore most of what I just mentioned. Lots of other cool stuff in it, but I wish it gave the option of being choosy with what you want to restore rather than forcing you into the package deal. Some stuff in there is better left out in my opinion, which is why I don't use it. It also conflicts with some other mods I use anyway.

K1 Restoration project seems solid though it does restore most of what I just mentioned. Lots of other cool stuff in it, but I wish it gave the option of being choosy with what you want to restore rather than forcing you into the package deal. Some stuff in there is better left out in my opinion, which is why I don't use it. It also conflicts with some other mods I use anyway.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because a lot of the restored content mods for K1 are (or were, before KF was killed) available individually, and, as far as I know, didn't conflict with one another. In fact, I have ran the restored Lower Shadowlands, Sleheyron demo, Vulkar compound sublevel, Gamorrean stronghold, and a number of other minutiae (such as the ability to bring Bastila onto Korriban, including original voiceovers) with no bugs and/or conflicts. I would offer to upload them somewhere for your perusal, but the drive I have them on got misplaced somewhere.

They cut a Juhani romance? Wow, blown opportunity, BioWare. And DS endings that involved self-sacrifice? I would've been interested to know how that works.

No worries, I managed to grab most of the separate restoration mods about a year ago. I just regret that some of the stuff in K1 Restoration isn't separate as well. Like the Iriaz on Dantooine for instance.

I think the stuff with Juhani was female/female and to my knowledge it was never restored by a modder. Pretty sure it's kicking around in the dialogue somewhere, just obviously deactivated by Bioware. I remember reading on some forum back in the day that it was quite tastefully done. Presumably cut because this was Pre-Mass Effect Bioware and LA may have been more skittish back then.

As for the cut Dark Side endings, one of them had to do with Carth flying up to the Star Forge if you're a female, and begging you to kill Bastila after killing Malak, to end the madness and destroy the Star Forge. A die in eachother's arms scenario. I think there may have been a similar one for males with Bastila though I can't remember for sure. I have no idea why these were cut, even the voiceover is still there.

In any case, at least one was restored in a mod called "Dark Side Romance Resolution" by Strudelman. This is it here, if you wish to view it.

Er... Different mod in the video, but same content. One or the other is probably available somewhere.

Team Hutt were the ones that did the beta of Sleheyron. As far as I know they didn't have much more than a map to go on, which is probably why it fell by the wayside.

If you want to dwell in the past Team Hutt's forums can still be looked through here, but you'd be better off looking through Sithspecter's active Sleheyron restoration project over here.

The K!R's cut content list can be found here.

However . . .

stayontarget_zpsjrb6u7rg.gif

. . . let's get back to the subject of this thread?

RIP%20KotOR%20FileFront_zpscu9kjx5d.png

If it was on Filefront, try using the search bar over at Gamefront.com. If you're lucky, you'll be able to download the mod. The amount of time those files may be on Gamefront isn't specified so I'd hurry.

Once that option fails - whether the file you want isn't on there or Gamefront discontinues the download of any of those files - then make a request in this thread. (Read the initial post first for the sake of all of those attempting to assist you.)

Archived