Home

DISK09.LEC for MT-32 sound needed badly

Smalltalk-80

DISK09.LEC is the name of the patchfile for one of the great classics of Lucasfilm SoMI, to use the MT-32 synth.

It was given away on the Lucasarts site until a few years ago. Sorry to ask for it on this part of the board but the other part hasn't seen any activity for close to a year.

Anyone have it, or any of the other patch files released for the other games?

Edited: I keep coming back to this post to get Disk09 and seeing the mistake I made when I wrote it. Fixed now.

I believe the DISK09.LEC is only useful for the EGA (floppy disk, 16 color) version of Monkey Island, and only for adding MT-32. Other versions have MT-32 support already included. See: http://ehc.ac/p/scummvm/mailman/message/6868153/. 

You can see this on the LucasArts site for yourself through Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20060505022545/http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/monkey-1.htm

Roland = MT-32 in those old LEC documents. The file is still available here: http://help.disney.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/List-of-updates-and-patches-for-Lucasfilm-games?section=Games

Disney removed all the patch notes so it's a bit confusing, but the file you want is monkeyup.exe. If you run 64 bit Windows, you need to use a separate extracter to extract DISK09.LEC out of it as it is as 16 bit EXE.

Very convoluted, on the other hand incredible that some suit hasn't ordered the files taken down or that they could simply have been left out of the new site

The EGA versions of everything up until Monkey 2 is the only way to play those games. Mike Ferraris art is only in those versions.

Everything else is just less talented people touching up on a deadline to sell to the few people who had VGA at the time.

Do a compare it's quite obvious once you know it.

EGA is how it was intended to look.

Roland made the MT-32. And again it the only real way to play those games. The music was composed for that hardware and then down scaled to Adlib.

Though not with as bad results as the VGA conversions it should be said.

But the MT-32 versions are extraordinarily beautiful. You haven't really played the classics until you have heard the music through that hardware (or emulation thereof).

I don't know, there's lots of wonderful extra detail in the VGA versions... I especially enjoyed Steve Purcell's close-ups, but they did remove the sunset from the beginning of the game :(

Are you sure they are Purcells? Never seen any mention of that.

Anyway, they just look like digitized photos with a bit of DP work.

Ferraris closeups are adorable and far better as graphic art than the VGA versions.

And where is the extra detail you speak of?

I think on the contrary the VGA version looks less clear. Often it looks really halfassed.

It really is a thankless job to try to work someone else's carefully drawn optimized 16 colour art into something else though.

I could imagine a lot harder doing it well, than doing something original.

And no, of course Monkey Island 2 is meant to be in 256 colours.

We failed to ask Mark Ferrari anything about the VGA upgrade when we interviewed him for the Secret History article, but he makes it sound like Steve Purcell and Martin 'Bucky' Cameron were the guys who did the original close-ups, at least. There were several people on both art teams, and probably some overlap. I think Bill Eaken was part of the 256-color upgrade in some capacity.

I love both versions of the close-ups, myself. The EGA versions are brilliant in the way they triumph under 16-color limitations (much like Loom did), and they're certainly more in sync with the art style of the surrounding game.

The VGA versions are the ones I grew up with and I have a certain fondness for their painting-like style, with the characters apparently being based off Lucasfilm employees. Carla the Swordmaster is Carla Green form Product Support, and Elaine is artist Avril Harrison. The "flaw" with these close-ups is that in their realism they're fairly incongruous with the more cartoonish style of the game overall. I also blame them somewhat for the CMI backlash where fans decried that Tiller/Ahern had botched the series' more "realistic" style, an expectation I believe comes from the VGA close-ups and the box art.

I've always felt that Purcell's concept art gives you a better idea of the style The Secret of Monkey Island is aiming for, and it's not something I think CMI evolved all that dramatically from. The fact that he applauded CMI's art would surely shake hands with this.

full20040726035032.jpg

full20110222215810.jpg

mi1shipart1.png.html

full20040726035117.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thing: Purcell's style actually has a strong element of realism to it -- and I don't mean the close-ups. When he draws Sam & Max's DeSoto, the car looks real, but exaggerated. Sort of "hyper-real". It doesn't look like it's made of marshmallow, it looks like it's made of metal, and has lots of realistic lighting, but seems larger than life.

I found the same with MI's backgrounds: The buildings look "real" in the same way. With CMI, the buildings had curved walls, like they were made out of marshmallow. It's always irked me. Hard to explain why -- even though I do love CMI and its art style.

BTW - Does anyone have a photo of Avril Harrison? I've always wondered how closely Elaine resembled her. In fact I'd love to see comparisons for the whole cast! :)

Archived