Home

Let's contract Michael Land for new original compositions

kickstarter

What do you think? (Leave your vote)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (Leave your vote)

• Good idea! (I'd be in)
    • Bad idea! (I wouldn't support it)

As we were not able to garner enough interest,

this project has been closed on June 15, 2016.

Thank you - to all our followers as long as it lasted!

--

| Update: It seems we can move forward! :thmbup1: Please subscribe to our mailing list if you'd support this project! |

I've been listening to Monkey Island game soundtracks recently, CMI actually (well, self-made, unofficial ones..), and regretted that there isn't more music.

Then I've investigated a bit what Michael Z. Land (mobygames) is doing and found that his output somewhat slowed down over the last few years.

Now, connect that with the fact that famed composer Chris Hülsbeck recently funded a re-recording of his music via kickstarter, one of the more notable game-music related projects on kickstarter, IMHO.

Also, let's highlight the Thimbleweed Park kickstarter project - so good to see the old gang churn out new content.

So, here's the idea:

Let's contract Michael Land directly for composition and recording of more "Michael Land-ish music"

yHAko7z.jpg

As a rough outline, let's ask him to do some tracks "in the vein of" Monkey Island, this laid-back, calypso, steeldrum style (more Danjer Cove, more Brim Stone Beach ambients); and possibly some more symphonic works à la The Dig (I'd like to see a weird "Ghosts", part 2) - maybe compiled on a 12 track album. Recorded to high standards, mixing live instruments with synths, recorded and/or mastered at Lucas Digital/Skywalker Sound - as in the olden days. We could do a poll here, to decide on the musical direction.

To fund the project, we'll init a simple yet serious kickstarter project, ~100,000 $US ("simple" as in 'less rewards hassle', but "serious" as in 'properly funded'), for composition, recording, etc. Funders receive the finished product as digital download starting at let's say $10 - $18 or a physical copy for ~$20 - $30. Additional rewards could be signed copies or so. A bit more pricey as the average music album, but hey, it's custom made, more or less.

Also, we could structure the kickstarter with stretch-goals (as an example):

70,000 $ - funded (6-track mini album, "more ambient music to plunder to")

100,000 $ - 12 track album (full album, "+6 tracks of Dig-ish sci-fi symphonics")

150,000 $ - 18 track album (full album with extras, "+6 reworked Monkey Island classics")

What about that? Let's discuss.

Here or on reddit: Let's contract Michael Land for new original compositions

(Or at least leave your vote in the poll)

I've edited the estimated price in the original post, as I think many would prefer a lower entry price, and worked your notion in, of having Mr. Land rework some MI classics.

Also, you're right: this whole endeavour needs Michael Land's approval first. But I wanted to test the waters here, before I approach him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love some new music from Michael Land, especially in the more atmospheric style as heard on Blood Island in CMI, but I also liked the Reggae songs on Plunder Island and the orchestral songs like in the sea battles and sword fights.

I really liked how each island was kind of segmented into different musical styles and how well it all blended together with the beautiful background art from Bill Tiller to create a unique atmosphere.

He's one of those guys that really should get hired more often for game soundtracks... But maybe it's because he's too busy doing other stuff, we really don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Intermediate success: A few weeks ago I've been able to reach Michael Land, and although he's quite busy, he signalled interest in this idea.

If you would support our goal of funding new original Michael Land compositions,

make sure to leave your email on our Prefundia page - so we can keep you updated!

With 2016 approaching this fast, it's about time for an update/next step...

• 5 months later...

Archived