Home

Scoundrel to Smuggler / Bandon Armor Consistency

milestails

I'd like to see two K1 mods:

• One that changes the starting class "scoundrel" to "smuggler." Just a name change in the dialog.tlk - Better matches TOR and sounds better because it is an occupation like scout and soldier.
  • A mod that makes the PC's Bandon armor identical to how Darth Bandon's actually looks in game

A previous mod on KotOR Files changed scoundrel to smuggler, but required that one replace the entire dialog.tlk file - not very convenient.

Additionally, previous Bandon armor mods were complicated to install and implement.

You'd have to replace an entire class of models for the Bandon armour. That would be easy in TSL, because they added an armoured robes model category (and the Bandon armour model is included in the TSL files), so you could just swap that out and add in some retextures for the other items that share the model. For K1 you'd have to sacrifice one group of models just to use the Bandon armour for a single item. Although the medium/heavy armour models are mostly just minor variants of the same thing with extra pockets or whatever, so that probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Would require a lot of UTI edits though.

One that changes the starting class "scoundrel" to "smuggler." Just a name change in the dialog.tlk - Better matches TOR and sounds better because it is an occupation like scout and soldier.

I could probably take a shot at that if you'd like. Sounds pretty simple. Though, for that matter, is there any particular reason why you don't want to attempt it? Just wondering.

A previous mod on KotOR Files changed scoundrel to smuggler, but required that one replace the entire dialog.tlk file - not very convenient.

I think I now see why that was the case. The simplest solution to the name change would be to just edit the text of the related dialog.tlk entries (with TalkEd). However, TSLPatcher apparently doesn't allow you to edit preexisting entries, only to install new ones. In that case, you'd have to edit all the other files that reference those entries and make them instead point to your new entries. Which is all well and good (or at least generally doable), but could be a real pain depending on the circumstances. I'd be willing to go ahead and try to do that with the related .2da files (which I believe would be spells, feats, and classes) tonight and tomorrow, but I may not get to individual dialog (.dlg) files.

After a little hiccup (using TSL's .2da files... oops), I now seem to have it working. The only issue is that the original class selection screen still says "Scoundrel", but I believe that's hardcoded. As soon as you select it, though, it properly displays "Smuggler", and the feat descriptions have been changed as well. You should be able to download it here. Lemme know if you have any problems.

Thanks Malxados! Upload to Deadly Stream along with your other mods!

As far as the class selection screen is concerned, take a look at the mod I referenced:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130510170338/http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Scoundrel_to_Smuggler;88949

http://www.gamefront.com/files/10032097/Scoundrel_to_Smuggler

Thoughts on how he might have gotten the class selection screen to say Smuggler?

After a little hiccup (using TSL's .2da files... oops), I now seem to have it working. The only issue is that the original class selection screen still says "Scoundrel", but I believe that's hardcoded. As soon as you select it, though, it properly displays "Smuggler", and the feat descriptions have been changed as well. You should be able to download it here. Lemme know if you have any problems.

You can edit the .gui control to switch that. I believe it's just a different TLK reference.

If you open the .gui file in K-GFF, each of the Controls has a sort of GUI Tag (I wouldn't edit it) that you can use as a reference to try to figure out what you're looking at.

Also, if you turn on the Use TLK files in one of the menus and load K1's TLK file, that should help as well.

Well, I haven't gotten very far with classsel.gui in K-GFF (which I assume is the pertinent file). Plugging in the .tlk file didn't seem to help much for some reason, and most of the fields labeled as str refs had numbers too big to actually be a dialog.tlk reference (they were all 4294967295, the maximum value of a 32-bit unsigned integer, which I don't feel is just coincidence). There were a few smaller numbers, some of which made sense and one of which was, in fact, 135, which happens to be the reference to .tlk entry "Scoundrel". I tried messing with it and saw no difference.

Well, I haven't gotten very far with classsel.gui in K-GFF (which I assume is the pertinent file). Plugging in the .tlk file didn't seem to help much for some reason, and most of the fields labeled as str refs had numbers too big to actually be a dialog.tlk reference (they were all 4294967295, the maximum value of a 32-bit unsigned integer, which I don't feel is just coincidence). There were a few smaller numbers, some of which made sense and one of which was, in fact, 135, which happens to be the reference to .tlk entry "Scoundrel". I tried messing with it and saw no difference.

Can you tell me the "path" in the .gui file?

For example: Controls->Struct 1->Text->StrRef

Can you tell me the "path" in the .gui file?

For example: Controls->Struct 1->Text->StrRef

The path to the field with STRREF 135? I can't give you one that will help much, as some paths seem essentially identical in that format (see the image below; all the struct ids are 0); but its field index is 78, which you should be able to find it with.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
kgff.jpg

Archived