Home

Problem With Dialogue and Party Quests

Sir Vougalot

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. I've experimented with placing threads like this in different forums lately, like the tech help forum and the KOTOR game forum, but with people visiting those forums so infrequently as of late it tends to take forever for someone to reply, and again with solid advice. So I opted for this forum.

Anyway, I just beat Kashyyyk and have third Star Map (second if you don't include Dantooine; I have two more to go), and just added my final party member--Jolee--to the crew. I decided to use Savegame Editor to give my characters super stats, feats, and Force powers, and have been using the "addlevel" cheat to level up frequently and rather early. I'm not sure if one (or both) of these things has contributed to the problem I am currently having, but I'm not getting much in the way of conversation with my newer party members, namely Canderous, Juhani, and Jolee. For Canderous, his dialogue reached a certain point and stopped; I barely got anywhere with Juhani; and Jolee has said nothing since he joined the party, aside from knowing about the current planet and making medkits (which is kind of a bummer because I enjoy his conversations most).

What worse is that these three characters' quests will not trigger as a result. I completed Bastila's quest with her mother and saw the romance dialogue to the end, have nearly finished the quest with Mission's brother (I just need to get him the tach gland), and have triggered the mission with Carth's son, but just haven't been to Korriban yet. But as for Canderous, Juhani, and Jolee, their missions will not trigger because their conversations are not complete (as I mentioned, Jolee's hasn't even started). This is a problem as I am about to go to Manaan and would really like to do the Sunry murder trial quest. I have never not done it and can't imagine playing that planet without it.

Here is what I have tried: loading saves, quitting and restarting, talking to characters after collecting Star Maps (this only worked with Carth), using KSE to put reset my formerly level-five Jedi Consular class back to level 1 and re-level up my main character (in order to try the speak-to-them-after-gaining-more-experience trick), and using KSE to (experimentally) give myself the "Jolee" dialogue quest. The last one will put a quest entry in my log that mentions that I got Jolee to speak a bit about his past, but it won't make further dialogue choices available for him.

So can anything be done, or have I fudged it up completely? If the conversations are a lost cause, then would it at least work out if I were to use KSE to activate the Xor, Jaggi, and Sunry quests? Or will it simply give me quest entries that just sit there and won't trigger anything?

I imagine one of the main culprits for this problem is probably the level 20 level cap. This wouldn't have been a problem in KOTOR 2, I don't think.

As I mentioned, I am now due to go to Manaan, so any prompt responses would be most appreciated. :)

I didn't mess with any globals as that is a bit over my head. And I have some relatively limited modding experience in that I know how to edit .2da files, as well as knowing my way (mostly) around KOTOR Tool. I also know how to edit textures, but obviously that isn't relative to this discussion.

My first thought would be to find the dialog files for those characters (which you should be able to find the name of in the .uti file, and then check BIFs -> templates.bif -> Dialog) and find the (sub)trees of dialog that you think you *should* be able to access but can't for some reason. Look at the top levels of those subtrees to see what conditional scripts are used by the game to check if that conversation choice is available to you (if you're just using KT's dialog editor, which I don't see any reason not to use for this purpose, the field is titled "Script that determines if node is available"). Then, try to find that script in the game's source scripts (BIFs -> scripts.bif -> Script, Source). Open the script and see what booleans are relevant as well as what value they *should* be. Then, open your save in KSE and adjust the globals accordingly. Rinse and repeat for all affected conversations.

If that's confusing, I can show you an example.

Haha alrighty.

Step 1: Find the .utc file of the character. In this case, we'll use Jolee, which we can find under BIFs -> templates.bif -> Blueprint, Character in KT. All the party characters have .utc's that start with "p_*" :

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
j3MdZVpuzKvCOao5pwSPwUuWC7FMjY468K05NlH2qfpbmuyR8SJMgYX_8wjhDT-P2K4GEG_JaLgc--UJYdBrJ0mUTVY0ruiGgkHvHsxW2Sj_qpzNNbI5LnL-QMV-gWh2XZICFTnQ0BX2vVmqhS1UHIE6C1lXG8BAzZCw6z2kVEzhMjZ6ezNy2cI-70HQoK6y1sxuIymoL8dOQqAx_8ehT5OTI2Uy1dLWkmaUQ7S0hzdUEIkcemQagyuCXaWn3ptfh-EeP7YJcDL4LVu3Uz9Lj12SW3kTzByYFWy-YHH8zjUKsGXna6pEqS7WaTFs13YbIYkraB69h5G0j3cgadhBQGRRsRc7igxYlRAN5lL0ydiGyjldeObhX_T0gt7Xp8mWOFZvvjJhiKkaGBzHIYyf8SGmV4bgpBjpqEDBXT7iAKn4KmfETXpT6M0JqU3yRdfqobDXxqLYt9EdwFCo0T-V7Mztfe4GLxx0PRbEv735E_bFkzRw_HEwSNSq1cx3K9ztWlQYxpcfSRcVOBg96zUbVHvLhHnRfF8DS91-uy8NGCo=w736-h731-no

Step 2: Navigate to the dialog file named under "Conversation" in the .utc file. Dialog files can be found in BIFs -> templates.bif -> Dialog. Now, open the file and navigate to the node that you want to be available in conversation:

Show spoiler
-rD0qYNAo5uNk03uLl2gP16FwRYrbpR27lfmhpA_0DST_c7Tw7vRKRpkVBL6lkyHLXIkuRzPBS8oSWV4473YeKUhu8z7TFXndVg4fFWKhMwVfLhx9tLZGL6GjFQv_y9-XP_MOVLyq1cvomH9KfDTaDii8CnpPoGpUMgLJzhHJIsahyC-H7rsVKmXrNOWrPu58CqNVH5nT-Nzzm-hl0f2p5UPj9HizfPkxNKfPZtI-7ChTXYfVtAoIWTDx9LeOjsE_rt_6KPDvpORlEq93ZO_uZIQbMPof9VksUTL_mTpVCgUanSwhRkM3-rMOmBoTdbbdmj9SzwbLU2xY8098UvOz1NavybaxT-fpD_7kLqKZTdLNyfkmDZaXv_A-FOg6oHUTAXds4CyYTqmuRX3W8kJDBRh_2BAHoO7H1s99VN2Ot7x2T6o9sXlAaLjvDEjpSziXfPOPv_pRMtZi09wVCkK9blb-fv-KfBN-i8YBKS1lb0XJyeC2U_CznIkRcnOFKf2hSnErz2cOiLnl33ZnZ2pSrCq-1tiPsTBF4SoqFmp_yg=w980-h731-no

Step 3: Navigate to the conditional script (source) that determines if the node is available (under BIFs -> scripts.bif -> Script, Source). Open the script, and it should look something like this:

Show spoiler
vrNdaLcDV2gDK9xD-qxuYCPuwrk1DtE7IkLreRNuYmJYJp4oRaZAOAZzhCZbBZAx_OKHZWLcfEPZM40xzvTcOdhGs66EcCbHdffMUKnvDgGxzbQnEuMj_tCMcD-V4Q5kS89FlwLi8fAdk0N9aTshI5HpPRrf89KvnQf-dAq03JxWEq4JJqy3HPPPXSBnXV5I7I6_j-ngYFfWiUk6-frWc6LmhGvKfLUBI_Pu-Ar5wIMoBt5MwnnSbIhe7tHbeMcyJXKa_kfeseQ2ItKD9Hkrwd-B764b4UN6hE_aPjMw2X2llOwtMTp6vxACjeZqi9tH3tVJAtbnihER07aLCrMZMEog6vy9tMb0ArztPUT8ZADN-2FhuyOix4KxKqLJYvRCp0-WwKAa13E16-JYiOkpoWohBbOeby2pSQeRoTs3dxkGfKsMCXQHr9mV349zdvJiwZqdLiIAvJ139pglpJANksC8CvtyBu8InyFXjBiSJO8MrUUQlNUWJ3dRS1Qwbhk7KgwJD8n1IlEAPlAMA7JQAISURAXKlhFKPLZBXbXDHmA=w854-h731-no

What we're looking for here are checks to global variables. There are two kinds, booleans (which are true/false) and numbers, and this script checks one of each (K_SWG_DAVIN and MAN_MURDER_PLOT, respectively; more info on the script syntax after the break). Apparently, in order for you to ask Jolee about Sunry, either K_SWG_DAVIN needs to be true or MAN_MURDER_PLOT needs to have the value 1 or 2. So, we go into KSE and change those values as needed (Step 4):

Show spoiler
bKj5pSSNu6Gp__1kVIyWHUz9khdZ_a40lDTzJ5yYC7H3eTF2hoGyt0SCJcdmKONl2UW1tWwRYWHP9b-2X-3LtcT8bZ7XXoBaWJQOXmspMIVQiYCxNmjNgDPzJUT3wzwIGqZiCjyReBnETHV0Qoh2YeE5ztAiNOh1lgXTgtO2ppvSuCrucyhhevJOYYIr9JJbZo1tYjPpSq522b2G7DnNIWdQEUZR6jozULtZyibN0_IPQzYsl91tHrugf-5mWmwu8ZBGvxgwdsgnw1N2lS1Hfp38M0GzZH5kK4DeBNi_RJ-rso4PvG17RWqdKyKyfES1sJ0XqtWBfufYpDpjip2gFcIhJ2nqnPUS0sMbPWtXV4gDC4xsg0d5_oqy-G9F3Hoh-TE-gs4hEskatnQ4vDB9fyaIVPyOkn5xrtjHS6qZeQJfSLG9Zyeh36HJYsgi0DORWH23LVXHB1zHv6mjsAgRdE51m5AdqYtDeyaNaZBmbEl0EgX7R8jiEF0u5xjV-TOmvWSZr3sNm9J_f-u9VdcXPG05YfckY_QVbv1X5ULstW4=w913-h638-no2NAp-R1R_cp3Xt774v78fOI9bbl3N3qc03Bi6M3OE4Ah6Psis2saYPozSS6GfNkDBh6IT6gcDMPrtLZyHh6JeCcwWK1bVsAsmgk6CUe7LVOQxqJDqA7taCBvPSc236OrJgeoog8A_n-xvoHyH5bTEIYgDDIggdYn_PtxTtRkCUgfx43VcEcnJBGWSbBla19l0TiUJeLfbiQnoRnQ58XhpFn5QTMM6_jXFjSgof0REGLmxIS8o3ns8adHZVetD5biB42hMPxQotCR0KiCyo1x3NmqI18Rl-QpuKYaQKS2bOPk9r1GvMzIEpsgnyuvVR-shfPvP9lyd8CuMRAVppmEHgfZ_kv4Ek56HwGUAHTJJO1Zi8wz8tOr7WVd4hA9Vj5i7FEphMGRV1T6B6JYNlt5NnTfQBF-jJinizRfe1kYgQXRuFrshvF2GXoAByoLVP1V7cb4ahhGVLI8M-OqdOnLLcKRus-ie1uJJDHZgjY3M7DGfIpw0M3N7ckarYEOE335oy2yS16sKj_qLB4sUP5sWABjZU5RgIxpEX1bkN5qva8=w911-h636-no

Step 5: Rinse and repeat for any other pieces of dialog that won't show up correctly.

Lemme know how it goes =)

A few more things: First, full disclosure, I don't know what actually caused your issue. Conditional scripts failing is the only thing short of actual file corruption/loss that I know of that would cause the problem.

Also, the script may need a bit more explanation if you're not used to the syntax. In this script, it finds the value of the first global and calls it "nPlot1", then uses this other name to check its value against the desired value (in the "if" statement). Same thing with the second global. Each time in the "if" statement that a retrieved value is checked against a desired value (such as "nPlot1 == TRUE"), that individual check returns a boolean value (true or false). "||" is the logical operator meaning "or", so essentially the part in the red box checks if nPlot1 is true or nPlot2 is 1 or nPlot2 is 2. If one of these things is true, the entire boxed chunk of code evaluates to the value of "true". If instead of "||" the checks were separated by "&&", the logical "and" operator, all three of those checks would have to be true for the whole boxed chunk of code to evaluate to true. So, generally for any conditional script, you need the entire "chunk" of code in parentheses in the "if" statement to return true in order for the script to work its magic. (Don't be confused by the explicit "return TRUE" and "return FALSE"; the "magic" these particular scripts do is just to say "yes" or "no" when the game asks if it can give you that particular dialog choice.)

Finally, the astute observer will notice that the conditional script also checks one more thing, which it calls "nTalk". This appears to be a local variable, which is something we won't worry about at the moment, as you can't really adjust this with KSE. If you want to be thorough, you could make a note of these local variables, and theoretically try messing with those later if need be with a script or two. I feel like things would get pretty messy at that point, though.

The Jolee plot actually worked it self out. All I had to do was fly to another planet! Hahaha! I was able to hear his conversations to the end, and then the Sunry quest triggered when I took him to Tatooine to give the tach gland to Mission's brother.

Canderous' quest won't trigger though. Maybe you have to be off of Tatooine for it to happen, since Jagi mentions meeting you on Tatooine? I think I'll try him on Dantooine after work tonight. If it doesn't happen, I'll try your method.

And then I'm pretty sure Juhani's thing with Xor only triggers on Manaan, isn't that right? At least that's always been the case for me. That'll be my next world, so I'll try it when I go there.

Thanks! I followed these steps and it sort of worked, though not in the way I would have liked. I could only make the dialogue for Canderous' quest show up, but I couldn't actually make Jagi spawn. In the end, I had to manipulate the conversation tree to the point past where Jagi is killed, so that the quest was closed and Canderous talked about it.

I'm hoping the same thing won't have to be the case with Juhani. Xor would not spawn on Manaan, and I really hope I don't have to just drag her through the quest for the sake of completing it without ever having actually met Xor. I want him to actually show up.

That fixes the problem with the second encounter with Xor and it conflicting with Mika Dora's premium stash, but the problem I'm having is that Xor won't appear at all, including his first encounter. Will this patch fix that as well?

I was having the same trouble with Canderous and Jagi before I tried the fix above, but that only allowed me to activate and complete the quest. Jagi still would not show up, either at the docking ports or in the Tatooine desert. It's too late to fix this quest now, but I do want to encounter Xor.

Archived