Home

MERGED: KOTOR 3 Petition

hgsfhgghg

Couple of problems:

1. LucaArts no longer exists. Disney killed it.

2. Disney doesn't care about us longterm fans and only cares about its new direction for the franchise, as is evidenced by their scrapping the entire Expanded Universe.

3. EA can only do what Disney tells them to do.

It is extremely unlikely that we will see any new game from the old (read: true) Expanded Universe now, aside from expansions to The Old Republic.

Again, my reply from your other thread:

Couple of problems:

1. LucaArts no longer exists. Disney killed it.

2. Disney doesn't care about us longterm fans and only cares about its new direction for the franchise, as is evidenced by their scrapping the entire Expanded Universe.

3. EA can only do what Disney tells them to do.

It is extremely unlikely that we will see any new game from the old (read: true) Expanded Universe now, aside from expansions to The Old Republic.

They scrapped the *entire* Expanded Universe? :ohdear:

I understand that they're also planning to cash in on the new movie with a spinoff and sequel every two years or so. How long do you think it'll take until they run it into the ground and start philandering to eight-year-olds with more licensed merchandise and mobile games?

Doing what now?

And yes, Carwill, they scrapped the entire EU on April 25, 2014, rebranding it "Legends" and starting all over again with new movies, new books, new comics, new video games, ones that completely contradict the old EU. Half the Star Wars fan base is in uproar about it. I'm really surprised you haven't heard anything about it.

I, personally, have no interest in the new canon whatsoever and am debating even seeing the new movies. I'm sticking to the old (true) canon.

Doing what now?

And yes, Carwill, they scrapped the entire EU on April 25, 2014, rebranding it "Legends" and starting all over again with new movies, new books, new comics, new video games, ones that completely contradict the old EU. Half the Star Wars fan base is in uproar about it. I'm really surprised you haven't heard anything about it.

So, that's it? Twenty-one years of EU novels, comics, games, and short fiction just thrown down the well? That's so typically Disney that it makes me nauseous. How much do you want to bet that they'll introduce a supporting cast in TFA comprised of their army of burned out child-stars-turned-pop-singers as well? Personally, I think the only reason they got the original cast to reprise their roles was because they knew the new movies wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell among fans if they didn't.

I'm very glad to have learned about this. I was wondering why all the new editions of EU novels suddenly had a big yellow "Legends" logo plastered across the front cover.

Throwing the EU out the window is unforgivable. I had reservations about seeing the new movie to begin with, but I'm just about inclined to boycott it now.

So, that's it? Twenty-one years of EU novels, comics, games, and short fiction just thrown down the well? That's so typically Disney that it makes me nauseous. How much do you want to bet that they'll introduce a supporting cast in TFA comprised of their army of burned out child-stars-turned-pop-singers as well? Personally, I think the only reason they got the original cast to reprise their roles was because they knew the new movies wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell among fans if they didn't.

I'm very glad to have learned about this. I was wondering why all the new editions of EU novels suddenly had a big yellow "Legends" logo plastered across the front cover.

Throwing the EU out the window is unforgivable. I had reservations about seeing the new movie to begin with, but I'm just about inclined to boycott it now.

My understanding is that it was an internal decision at Lucasfilm, not Disney, because the movies always come first, and there was too much material in the EU that the would have had to work around. And it's not as if this decision detracts from the enjoyment of Legends works or their release. They continue to be printed under the new banner. They just won't factor into continuity leading up to the new films.

My understanding is that it was an internal decision at Lucasfilm, not Disney, because the movies always come first, and there was too much material in the EU that the would have had to work around. And it's not as if this decision detracts from the enjoyment of Legends works or their release. They continue to be printed under the new banner. They just won't factor into continuity leading up to the new films.

Huh...curious. I've heard several people say that Lucasfilm, along with LucasArts, was dissolved after Disney took over. But you're saying the decision was made prior to that time? Interesting...I'll see if I can dig up some facts on that.

I didn't really think about the new Legends continuity from your perspective, but I suppose you're right, realistically. It irks me, though, that an entire new generation of Star Wars fans is growing to grow up thinking of the EU as second banana to the new movies. :(

*EDIT*: I should also add that Disney really seems to be making a cash grab out of the new movies with all-new licensed merch, and seeing as they have EA in their pocket now, there's no telling what they'll try to pull with TOR. Heck, they're apt to pull the plug on it and give us something along the lines of that watered down Clone Wars MMO that ran for a brief time a few years ago.

Huh...curious. I've heard several people say that Lucasfilm, along with LucasArts, was dissolved after Disney took over. But you're saying the decision was made prior to that time? Interesting...I'll see if I can dig up some facts on that.

I didn't really think about the new Legends continuity from your perspective, but I suppose you're right, realistically. It irks me, though, that an entire new generation of Star Wars fans is growing to grow up thinking of the EU as second banana to the new movies. :(

*EDIT*: I should also add that Disney really seems to be making a cash grab out of the new movies with all-new licensed merch, and seeing as they have EA in their pocket now, there's no telling what they'll try to pull with TOR. Heck, they're apt to pull the plug on it and give us something along the lines of that watered down Clone Wars MMO that ran for a brief time a few years ago.

If you think about it, the EU has always been "second banana" to the films. It's just that there's never been a conflict between the EU and films this big before. The closest would be the references to the Clone Wars in the Thrawn Trilogy, which ended up being nothing like in the prequels themselves.

If you think about it, the EU has always been "second banana" to the films. It's just that there's never been a conflict between the EU and films this big before. The closest would be the references to the Clone Wars in the Thrawn Trilogy, which ended up being nothing like in the prequels themselves.

Out of curiosity, what contradictions in canon did those references bring up? I haven't finished the Thrawn trilogy, and even if I have read those references, I've forgotten them.

Since the status of LucasArts is up in the air now, has there been any news of Star Wars 1313 or the Darth Maul backstory game? Are those toast now, you suppose?

There's been news: they've been discontinued. Seriously--and I mean no offense here--how have you not heard about all of this? It's all Star Wars fans have been talking about for a year and a half now.

The continuity "issues" posed by the prequels were no big deal at all, and were easily rectified. Revisionist historians make a bigger deal out of them in order to push their case for the new canon. The problems caused by The Clone Wars TV show were much more impactful, however, and too numerous to name here.

The enjoyment of the Legends continuity is not the point. The point was that we had one mostly-coherent universe kept under tight reigns by Lucas Film, and now it has been ripped apart. And as of this moment, no more Legends stories are being produced (aside from The Old Republic with its game expansions and short stories posted on the website). We fans simply want the Legends universe to continue as an alternate universe. Nothing more, nothing less.

Out of curiosity, what contradictions in canon did those references bring up? I haven't finished the Thrawn trilogy, and even if I have read those references, I've forgotten them.

It mostly has to do with the nature of the Clone Wars. Timothy Zahn suggested that it involved the Republic using a conventional army to fight a faction called the Clone Masters.

There's been news: they've been discontinued. Seriously--and I mean no offense here--how have you not heard about all of this? It's all Star Wars fans have been talking about for a year and a half now.

The continuity "issues" posed by the prequels were no big deal at all, and were easily rectified. Revisionist historians make a bigger deal out of them in order to push their case for the new canon. The problems caused by The Clone Wars TV show were much more impactful, however, and too numerous to name here.

The enjoyment of the Legends continuity is not the point. The point was that we had one mostly-coherent universe kept under tight reigns by Lucas Film, and now it has been ripped apart. And as of this moment, no more Legends stories are being produced (aside from The Old Republic with its game expansions and short stories posted on the website). We fans simply want the Legends universe to continue as an alternate universe. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was aware that they'd been cancelled. I read Game Informer's article on it over a year ago. But, since then, I'd heard some talk online about the possibility of the projects being resumed at some point in the distant future. But, since Disney has now taken the liberty of stomping the EU out of the canon, I highly doubt that'll happen now...so it appears that my question has answered itself.

Don't read any aggression in that. I simply wanted to clarify that I'm not *THAT* far behind in Star Wars news, although I was out of touch with the community for over five months until very recently, so I'm sure I've still got some catching up to do. It's all good.

Oh, and as for the Legends continuity, I completely agree with you. I think that really speaks to how much respect Disney has for longtime fans, especially considering the fact that the vast majority of Star Wars lore actually existed in the EU.

I don't think Disney is going to prevent EU material from being produced. It simply won't have an impact on what happens in the movies. I expect we'll see a lot more as the next trilogy gets released.

As for dumping the EU, I'm VERY glad that the Vong are out of it. Worst. Enemy. Ever.

I don't think Disney is going to prevent EU material from being produced. It simply won't have an impact on what happens in the movies. I expect we'll see a lot more as the next trilogy gets released.

As for dumping the EU, I'm VERY glad that the Vong are out of it. Worst. Enemy. Ever.

Really? I've never heard of anyone who didn't like the Vong (not that there's anything wrong with that stance, of course). Personally, I thought the whole extragalactic invasion was an awesome angle that had never been taken before, and it's one that I'd like to see explored again in the future, albeit not with the Vong.

Myself, I'm glad that the Jedi Exile has now been erased from the canon, along with her canonized name, gender, and possibly the cheapest death in all of Star Wars lore. I wouldn't have expected such an anticlimax from Drew Karpyshyn.

But both the Vong and Meetra Surik are still canon within the Legends universe. You're still thinking from a Disney-canon-trumps-all perspective. I don't recognize the Disney canon at all.

I also liked the Vong. I can see why many people wouldn't because they're too much of a departure from the Star Wars norm, but I thought they were a nice break from the same of Jedi vs. Sith battles. And although I wasn't crazy about the novel The Old Republic: Revan and its characters, at least it brought closure to the unresolved KOTOR 2 ending. Not the ideal closure, but closure nonetheless. I have no problem accepting it as canon.

Archived