Home

Star Wars The Force Awakens MNF Trailer

milestails

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still hate that stupid saber :(

I guess I must be getting old, all I feel toward the new Star Wars now is apprehension.

I share your sentiments. My feelings are ambivalent: while I'm excited for a new chapter in the Star Wars saga and the new stories the upcoming movies will tell, I can't shake an underlying sense of dread that Disney will flanderize these new movies out to eight-year-olds (i.e. do what Disney does best). I've already seen their insidious advertising and merchandise licensing campaigns at work.

Yup, I'm in the apprehensive crowd too. I really hope this will be good, but with Abrams as a director, it can go either way. Unfortunately, this trailer shows that he just couldn't help it and had to add a lens flare or two. Again, hopefully the overall product is something good and entertaining.

P.S. the saber the villain uses is still friggin' ridiculous and that mask he wears looks like a cheap plastic knock-off of the Sith mask worn in the CGI intro for TOR. Very uninspired.

I hate the stupid saber, too, having actually wielded REAL swords. I'm still excited, however, and I'm not sad at all that the Vong are gone.

I, too, was initially opposed to the redesigned lightsaber (I presume you're referring to the crossguard on the Sith Lord's weapon?). However, after careful reevaluation of my opinion, I think it actually gives the weapon a more medieval feel, which is fitting in a way, as the Jedi Knights in many respects are reminiscent of the Teutonic Knights of the Middle Ages. It certainly wouldn't be the first callback to the classics I've observed in Star Wars: the whole inner turmoil thing Luke experiences as he treads dangerously closer to the dark side, culminating in Palpatine urging him to strike down Vader in Return of the Jedi? It's a textbook example of a Sophoclean tragedy...being cyclical, the son repeating the mistakes of his father...

Literary tangents aside, it's the Star Wars equivalent of a Claymore sword, so there's the cool factor as well.

I too am apprehensive. I have bought my tickets and will be happily going to see it, but whether I expect it to be good is another matter. I can't shake the feeling that this feels like a license cash in. It doesn't even look like a Star Wars film, and they've thrown in a bunch of TIE Fighters and X-Wing just to remind you that it IS Star Wars. Same goes for the music too.

Honestly, I'd LOVE for this to be good, but they'd have to have a pretty good excuse in the story for this to exist. For those like me that never bothered with the EU, Episode 6 resolved pretty much everything. The new super-death star 3.0 makes me cringe too.

I too am apprehensive. I have bought my tickets and will be happily going to see it, but whether I expect it to be good is another matter. I can't shake the feeling that this feels like a license cash in. It doesn't even look like a Star Wars film, and they've thrown in a bunch of TIE Fighters and X-Wing just to remind you that it IS Star Wars. Same goes for the music too.

Honestly, I'd LOVE for this to be good, but they'd have to have a pretty good excuse in the story for this to exist. For those like me that never bothered with the EU, Episode 6 resolved pretty much everything. The new super-death star 3.0 makes me cringe too.

I pretty much figure that's the whole reason they bought out Uncle George, because I can't see Disney wanting to own Star Wars for the chump change that EU novels were bringing in. Forget gaming, too, since all their plots went into the same trash compactor as the EU.

At the end of the day, Disney knows that it doesn't really matter if the story is harmonious within the framework of the other six movies, because they know that fans will pay to see it anyways, because it's Star Wars.

Oh, well. If I don't like Episode VII, I won't go to see VIII or IX.

I have a very different mindset for all this, maybe because I grew up in the prequel generation of Star Wars.

When I say Episode 1 was a bad movie, I don't really mean bad. It was a bad Star Wars movie, but it was still a great movie in my opinion. I don't think this could possibly be any worse than the prequels, and based on the Star Trek movies Abrams made, I think this will end up being better than any of the George directed movies. (Because everyone knows Empire was not George and it turned out better)

It seems like it's going to be grittier, and more realistic, but I personally see that as a positive thing. Star Wars always had a bit of a plasticy feel to it for me, and this might be what it needs to get rid of that. I only wish that Abrams was going to do remakes of the prequels, but one can only hope I guess.

And to me, that trailer did exactly what I hoped, make the movie look incredible, but tell us absolutely nothing about the plot because I want to be completely in the dark going to see it, but I can't help myself but to watch the trailers.

I agree, Abrams' Star Trek reboots were sick, even coming from someone who has no experience with Star Trek outside of the Abrams movies. Having also grown up in the prequel generation, I can draw some definite parallels between Episodes I, II, and III and the upcoming Episode VII. For starters, Episode VII is much more reminiscent of the Clone Wars in the sense that it takes place during a full-fledged war, rather than just following the Rebels' hit-and-run tactics and Luke's confrontations with Vader. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but there's a markedly new feel to these movies; it almost reminds me of TOR in the sense of the conflict being between the Republic proper and an evil empire spearheaded by the Sith. I will also be supremely intrigued to see how the introduction of two new characters works out in the plot, although I certainly hope Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and the droids didn't get sh*t-canned in terms of screen time.

Aside: having watched Episode II at a young age, I never understood at the time why it's so unpopular with fans, but I understand a lot of it has to do with the beginning of the Clone Wars serving as a vehicle for the exposition of the goofy love story between Anakin and Padme.

(Because everyone knows Empire was not George and it turned out better)

Empire was George's, just like any of the six movies. To ignore is huge involvement in the movie just because he didn't direct it is erroneous.

And I wish this movie was as original and bold as the prequels. Unfortunately all we get is nostalgia driven fan fiction made by people pretentious enough to think they know better (along with a ridiculous marketing campaign). I won't give them any of my money. Had they handled things differently and more respectfully, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt.

Empire was George's, just like any of the six movies. To ignore is huge involvement in the movie just because he didn't direct it is erroneous.

And I wish this movie was as original and bold as the prequels. Unfortunately all we get is nostalgia driven fan fiction made by people pretentious enough to think they know better (along with a ridiculous marketing campaign). I won't give them any of my money. Had they handled things differently and more respectfully, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt.

You make some strong arguments, and I'm not at all inclined to disagree with them. Out of curiosity, though, why do you call Disney's marketing campaign ridiculous? I mean, the trailers appeared to be your average movie trailers to me; I couldn't name anything particularly wrong with them. Aside from that, the only real advertising they might have done is in the form of licensed merch, so far as I know.

Again, not calling you wrong or anything, just curious. :thumbsup:

Archived