Home

Help Understanding Expansions!

Carwil

Alright. I've been playing SWTOR since October of 2014. However, I never had any friends who were knowledgeable about the game to play alongside me and teach me its various idiosyncrasies and secrets, so despite having a year of experience under my belt, the only know-how I've amassed about the game is what I've put together from seeing it in context. Being a very recent subscriber, I had some questions about game expansions that I am unable to answer myself.

1. How do expansions work? In addition to the base game, I believe I also have Rise of the Hutt Cartel, because I saw that my account on the EA SWTOR website had it listed as "registered," on the day I subscribed, I believe. So, I'm confused. Do I have RotHC? If so, how do I access the in-game content it entails?

2. Why don't I seem to have Shadow of Revan? Or do I, since I heard expansions are supposed to be free to subscribers? Shouldn't SOR be showing up in my account as "registered," alongside Rise of the Hutt Cartel?

3. I just learned about how to access Knights of the Fallen Empire last night. I didn't qualify for early access, so I know I'll just get it with other subscribers on October 27, so I think I understand how the latest expansion works. I read EA's patch notes to learn about some of the other game changes coming with it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you're right. I actually figured some of it out the other night when I checked my HoloNet alerts in the ship and found out about Makeb. I also saw the SOR quest droid on the fleet, and I'm several chapters into KotFE. But thanks for the reply nonetheless, Rogue!

In a nutshell, there's a bit of content you just can't access without expansions, be it superficial, to story and "places" to go, to items used in game, to the very important tweaks and balances.

For example: Though consulars and inquisitors were quite overpowered at the debut of SWTOR as I understand it...frankly I think it's bull **** that tanking variants of character progressions cannot at least heal themselves moderately in-battle if their companion is a DPS. Also (this may have changed but I don't think so) I think it's robbery that dye packs cost so much and are so rare. Also the professions are just plain broken--I cannot profit from artifice and archaeology, and the upgrades are mediocre though perhaps better than nothing in a desperate pinch. I wished BioWare EA would have addressed this when I was still able to play...

Archived