Home

Welcome to Star Wars Gamer

Star Wars Gamer

I think the biggest reason we're looking to upgrade is mostly for security reasons. It's hard to run a forum when there's a billion spambots joining and posting all throughout the forum.

That's also a big reason for why we're archiving the old sections and moving the Star Wars community into the one unified forum under Star Wars Gamer.

The "Star Wars Gamer" forums will be the new place for all Star Wars discussion. We have modding forums here, which are currently empty because we're asking people how they want the forums set up to their liking. We're also going to move important threads into these newer forums so that people can access them.

This isn't going to be a flick of the light switch and then everything has to switch over instantly. We're taking our time with this so that people are comfortable with the whole process and are able to take all the important threads with us into the active forums so they're not locked behind the archived stuff.

That said, there is plenty that will be archived such as the regular discussion forums and such. Unfortunately, we can't move everything since there are so many different communities. The most common sense way to go about this while still keeping our history is to open up the "Star Wars Gamer" section as the new unified community and have everyone all move in while keeping the old archived and accessible for those who want to relive old memories and for those who still want to find old threads that may contain something they're looking for.

This isn't going to be a flick of the light switch and then everything has to switch over instantly. We're taking our time with this so that people are comfortable with the whole process and are able to take all the important threads with us into the active forums so they're not locked behind the archived stuff.

As I don't venture outside of the KotOR forums these days, I'm not aware of what the other communities think of the changes, but a quick look makes me think it'll take some time before a) people are aware of the changes and b) those people have decided what they want to take with them and what to archive. I'm not even sure how many people checking LF from time to time know what is about to happen (i.e. is the simple announcement enough?), except for Ahto's, which had that lengthy discussion about LF's future that spawned this endeavor.

Most of the Star Wars boards receive a few posts each week, even if they aren't particularly meaningful. The KotOR and TOR boards see the most activity out of any. The board for the Dig hasn't been posted in for over two years. But I know what you mean.

Most of the Star Wars boards receive spambots each week. Some have random posts from folks who wander in, which is cool that people still find this place.

There are only three places that have any real activity. SWMMO, XWA and occasionally, JK.

As for the other side of the boards... this big restructure affects the Star Wars side only. If there are plans with the other side of LF, we'll have to discuss them with the people who run that side.

The one suggestion I have is to not define "Star Wars Gamer" too narrowly.

There are currently quite a few table-top miniature combat-sim/ wargames as well as a number of variations of the traditional 'paper/ pencil/ dice' RPGs out there set in the SW universe. (Also some board-games and card games...) And their fans tend to be passionate, as well as often active in online communities.

If we can encourage them to enter the fold and frequent some forums set up for their specific interests it could get this place hopping again.

The one suggestion I have is to not define "Star Wars Gamer" too narrowly.

There are currently quite a few table-top miniature combat-sim/ wargames as well as a number of variations of the traditional 'paper/ pencil/ dice' RPGs out there set in the SW universe. (Also some board-games and card games...) And their fans tend to be passionate, as well as often active in online communities.

If we can encourage them to enter the fold and frequent some forums set up for their specific interests it could get this place hopping again.

I think ed has may have a point. I personally don't see any harm in setting up and promoting boards that appeal to traditional gamers. Worst case scenario, they don't attract any new users and can easily be removed.

Hey guys, just thought I'd pop my head in to wish you luck with the new website. I'll try to visit the forums on a regular basis and get posting again. I have my Force Awakens day one tickets and I'm hyped for the new film. Exciting times ahead! I have missed you nutcases. :)

(leXX! Hello!)

This is definitely an interesting initiative, and I am appreciative of it. The archival process seems ideal; I'm glad no one's trying to just wipe it all. I'm also happy that this community's legacy isn't just going to be dropped, and that we're going to try to meet the new iteration of Star Wars -- and Star Wars games -- head-on.

(Also, I'm pretty amused by "DownTime: The Pilot's Lounge". Sounds familiar!)

Archived