Home

Battlefront: Tip of the Iceberg for EA

Star Wars Gamer

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen, speaking for the UBS Global Technology Conference in San Francisco, has indicated that there is plenty more to come on the Star Wars front for EA. As reported originally by Gamespot, Mr. Jorgensen indicated that the 10-year license EA has with Disney will result in Star Wars games in many genres, […]

The post Battlefront Tip of the Iceberg for EA appeared first on Star Wars Gamer.

Read the full story at starwarsgamer.com...

Our goal is not to make video games directly about the movies, it’s to use the IP in the movie to make great, exciting games.

EA saying the right thing (if not actually doing the right thing yet), but if only because the Star Wars IP is the one IP you can do this with and still make ****tons of money. History proves this. Regardless of my thoughts on EA and its business, I do think it has the right amount of budget and talent to make great Star Wars games, if they use their resource well. I'm a little wary, but also somewhat hopeful.

On the other hand, I'm still hoping EA will go outside of their own studios for one of their big budget games, if only to see what Obsidian can do with their second go at Star Wars. But... that's less likely to happen. Still, Star Wars gaming looks to have entered a new era with Battlefront, hopefully with plenty of games we can fondly look back at like we still do with the Star Wars games of old.

There are rumours around that the SW game Visceral is making is an RPG of some sort. Knowing their background, possibly an action-RPG of some kind.

I'm personally very glad that game companies are realizing that the movie tie-ins like the mostly terrible Episode I-III action games. Battlefront has a certain amount of tie-in with locations and the battle that will set up part of The Force Awakens, but it's much less than people hoped/feared.

It looks like EA has extensive freedom when it comes to pretty much the whole current shaped canon, so it'll be interesting how they manoeuvre in that space and who they get to make the games.

From what has been said in the past by folks over at EA, the two other studios to be working on games are BioWare and Visceral Games.

BioWare is most likely making an RPG since it's their thing while there have been hints coming out from Visceral to suggest that their game may be about Han Solo or a smuggler character.

Of course, while BioWare and Visceral have been confirmed a long time back to be the two studios that are working on something big for Star Wars aside from DICE, what they're working on exactly is a mystery at this point in time.

From what has been said in the past by folks over at EA, the two other studios to be working on games are BioWare and Visceral Games.

BioWare is most likely making an RPG since it's their thing while there have been hints coming out from Visceral to suggest that their game may be about Han Solo or a smuggler character.

Of course, while BioWare and Visceral have been confirmed a long time back to be the two studios that are working on something big for Star Wars aside from DICE, what they're working on exactly is a mystery at this point in time.

I'm pretty excited about the potential Bioware RPG, but I have to admit, I hope it's more along the lines of Dragon Age Inquisition than a KOTOR retread. Something new. (Well, for a given value of 'new'.)

I suppose it's partly that while I adored KOTOR and really liked KOTOR 2, I never cared that much for the Old Republic aesthetic. I'd like a different angle, dammit.

Of course I'll still snap it right up if it's KOTOR 3, don't get me wrong... and given that DA:I was itself a third entry into a series that it deviated from stylistically somewhat, for the better, there's no reason it can't be both. But I'm just pretty much over the Old Republic setting. Set it at the same time as Aftermath or something! :)

Of course I'll still snap it right up if it's KOTOR 3, don't get me wrong... and given that DA:I was itself a third entry into a series that it deviated from stylistically somewhat, for the better, there's no reason it can't be both. But I'm just pretty much over the Old Republic setting. Set it at the same time as Aftermath or something! :)
I've always thought the Old Republic setting was perfect, because there's so much room to do something new, to experiment. Aesthetically, well, the same thing should apply. The Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic and the Jedi vs. Sith periods all looked and felt different, but were all Old Republic. And there's always room for more, especially now the slate has been wiped (mostly) clean.

• 3 months later...

Archived