Home

Now that you've finally seen it, what did you think of The Force Awakens?

Lynk Former

What are your first impressions of The Force Awakens?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What are your first impressions of The Force Awakens?

• I LOVE IT! IT IS SO AWESOME!!
    • It's great! A well done movie.
    • Okay. It had its pros and cons.
    • I was expecting a lot more, it failed to deliver.
    • Downright AWFUL. I can't believe how bad it is.

This is up a little early, but in preparation for the release of the seventh movie in the saga, here it is.

First off, I have posted a SPOILER thread here: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=223820

Any and all discussion of spoilers for the movie are posted in that thread ONLY.

We're going to be strict about this because we really want to preserve the experience for everyone. If you want to talk about spoilers, it has to be in that thread ONLY.

I'm not even allowing marked spoilers in this thread just in case someone makes the mistake of highlighting or accidentally clicking a button or their browser decides to disregard code and shows them the spoiler anyway.

So please, we're all super hyped, but let those who are hyped but haven't seen the movie not feel worried that they're walking into a minefield in here. Thanks.

Anyway, now that you've seen The Force Awakens, what are your initial impressions of the movie? Let us know what you think :D

I voted option 2, but my opinion is somewhere in between 1 and 2. I really loved the movie, and I don't know what it could have done better. I have some nitpicks, but they do not lessen my enjoyment. But at the same time, it is a Star Wars movie, and doesn't do anything groundbreaking in my opinion. When I compare it to my favorite movie of the year Mad Max: Fury Road, I don't know if I can say that TFA is better, as much as I loved it. I will post my full opinions in the spoiler thread.

I voted option 2, but my opinion is somewhere in between 1 and 2. I really loved the movie, and I don't know what it could have done better. I have some nitpicks, but they do not lessen my enjoyment. But at the same time, it is a Star Wars movie, and doesn't do anything groundbreaking in my opinion. When I compare it to my favorite movie of the year Mad Max: Fury Road, I don't know if I can say that TFA is better, as much as I loved it. I will post my full opinions in the spoiler thread.

This is pretty much how I feel. Except that I prefer it over Fury Road, even though I realize the latter's probably the better movie. When the dust settles and I've seen the movie countless times, I think it'll settle itself nicely between the OT movies in my personal ranking.

It's a very good Star Wars movie, and I think Disney and JJ Abrams did a pretty good job overall. I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'll probably see it again just so I can pay attention to all the little bits I kind of missed because I was too busy just following the plot, but probably won't see it a third time in the theatre. 4.5/5 stars

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do... guess it's good to be proven wrong, I was sure that this'd be, at best, an okay movie, but it's amazing.

The biggest issue most people will have with it is that "it's too familiar" but I understand why it is like that and I actually like the way they used that element to tell their story with these new characters.

The biggest issue most people will have with it is that "it's too familiar" but I understand why it is like that and I actually like the way they used that element to tell their story with these new characters.

I enjoyed TFA and based on the movie's record breaking box office performance, am glad that so many others did as well. I guess I'm still not sure how I feel about all the parallels between TFA and the originals. On the one hand, these elements are what makes Star Wars the fictional universe so many love. On the other hand, it seems so formulaic that I can't help but ask the question "Is that all it really takes?" At this point there are still so many unanswered questions that I feel I will need to see Episode VIII and maybe even IX before I can properly place TFA in my personal Star Wars pantheon. 2017 May 26 can't come quickly enough. :nod:

If people want answers, a lot of them may already be answered in TFA itself. Go over to the TFA spoiler thread in the Star Wars Gamer forum and ask away.

Remember, we've only had this movie for a few weeks, on the other hand, we've had the OT for a few decades. It's going to take a while before we become intimately familiar with it like we are with the OT.

• 3 weeks later...

The short version of my thoughts is that it was just an average movie. I didn't think it was terrible, but not great either, and certainly not deserving of all the hype and critical praise.

I went in to the theater with rock bottom expectations, and I didn't care about the EU legacy, didn't look at spoilers (now I see it wouldn't have mattered), and still felt the same.

I think Disney/Abrams must have seen the criticism of the prequels and gotten scared, so they swung too far the other way and said "let's copy the original movies." If I were conspiracy minded I'd say many of the critics (and online reviewers) were bought off. Frankly, I don't buy the logic that copying the original movies means it's just as good (or better, because of "updated special effects" and young actors).

I didn't hate this movie, I actually felt it was more "even" overall than the Prequels (which were to a me a mix of great action sequences and some cringe-worthy moments of "comedy" and "romance"), it just was underwhelming. They had so much to go on and squandered so many opportunities. Here, we have a remake of ANH with a guy who looks like Napoleon Dynamite doing an impression of Hayden Christianson being a wannabe Vader, a female Luke/Han with little room to grow and then a young Denzel Washington, who, despite his looks and huge potential as a character, acts like a tv comic relief sidekick. Copying a few beats from ESB and ROTJ is not a crime, but basically copying the whole first movie and pretending it's a logical sequel was a pretty bad move I thought. There were no great revelations, just a big nostalgia trip mixed in with a lack of creativity and real risk taking. Since I've already seen the likes of Galaxy Quest and Fanboys, maybe this isn't the type of movie that I really needed to see.

Looking back through the eyes of a SW fan, as opposed to a casual movie-goer, I can complain about how it dumps on the legacy of ROTJ's ending, hitting the big reset button, swerving us just to swerve us, and reboot everything just to sell us old toys with a new paintjob. Sure, this will re-ignite Star Wars fandom for awhile, but it just feels like such a scam. It's like people don't even remember the original films and praise this thing to the moon when it's just an average sci fi action film. People will like what they like, but I have to laugh at how goofy the whole thing is. The old movies weren't perfect, and Lucas himself made a lot of mistakes in the prequels, but these movies, once the dust settles and people calm down with the nostalgia, won't be remembered so fondly, I predict. People will remember how they felt with all the anticipation and excitement, much like many of us remember the excitement and anticipation for Episode I, and the sobering reality of how average the actual production was. As I walk past toy aisles full of Kylo Ren masks and flametroopers, I'm having flashbacks to 1999 again. Here's hoping the next two will be better and more original, but don't hold your breath.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it, really loved it, but that ironically kept me away from this community for a little while. I saw that it had flaws, and that it also had plus points which old-school/hardcore fans would see as negative points, and the initial spoiler reviews I read were from old-school/hardcore fans who were universally disappointed (some to the point of extreme bitterness) and I found that I didn't want to hear about it. Ahaha.

I didn't do it consciously, and I may have been very silly to do so at all! But so it goes.

That's too bad. It's a much different experience watching at a cinema with other people than it is watching it alone. Every time I went to see it at the cinema (5 times) it was great to get the audience reactions to everything happening on screen.

I know what you mean about the audience. I saw the Doctor Who 30th anniversary special in the theater, and it was definitely a fun experience (especially with the reveal at the end - with the theater erupting in applause and a child confusedly asking his father who that man was). :p

My local bargain theater is running The Force Awakens this weekend, so I'm going to be seeing it in the cinema after all.

Archived