Home

KotOR stopped working after update

Ben Stormrider

KotOR suffers a strange Error on my WIN10 Notebook since I let it update Windows a few days ago.

Before I approved the Update I could run KotOR with Mods without any issues.

After the Update took place, it constantly freezes or stops to work in Loading Screens.

When I tried uninstalling the update in System configurations, it wouldn't have done it. It just was impossible.

Next I tried a System Restore, which failed because of the avast free antivirus software. Then it occured to me, that avast had run an update as well when I approved Windows' Update.

So I reinstalled avast and was able to uninstall the most recent Windows Update as well. But KotOR still has the same Problems, although I assumed that I set my system back to the Pre-updated status, when it hadn't have any problems. Additionally, I added steam to the exceptions in my antivirus software.

I also tried to run KotOR as Administrator and in Compatibilty Modes XP SP2 and XP SP3 to no effort.

I'm running out of ideas now. Reinstalled it 2 times, the second time with deleting the whole swkotor folder in steam.

I found an AR_ERROR report in the folder saying "Names Differ: w_RptnBlstr_001 w_blstrrfl_001", but I'm not sure if this does connect to the problem or if it's been there unseen by me all along. Anyway I tested by starting a new game before putting any Mods in and managed to pass 3 Loading screens on Endar Spire and Taris without a problem when my character had just a melee weapon equipped...

The Windows-Update said it was there for security Issues. May it be that Windows just got pickier about file names than before? Maybe it would work again if I fixed the root of that AR_ERROR? Where do I rename the stuff?

I doubt that a Mod causes the issue, since I made failed attempts with an emty override Folder as well and also I didn't add any new Mods since the mentioned update, prior to which they all worked with the game just fine.

What are your thoughts on this? Any answers are appreciated.

Archived