Home

Triumvirate Lords Of The Third Dimension

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh haha. I had asked you to help me get what we originally talked about in game. Remember how I asked about ships flying to the right of my platform, and you said it is possible? Like how in the lower city before you take the elevator to the undercity you see ships flying in the tube to your right?

I want to have ships/speeders flying in a straight line to the right of my platform, and then dissapear at the end, and repeat.

SithS, any chance to get some help on making ships fly past?

Q, I am having some issues getting shadows into my area. I have read every thread regarding it on HL, and still nothing. My ASCII file for the part that contains the dlights looks like this:

node light AuroraDLight04

parent 777NPI_01d

position 23.8681 0.211309 30.9964

orientation 0.0 0.0 -1.0 -1.5708

wirecolor 0.603922 0.843137 0.898039

radius 100.0

multiplier 1.0

color 1.0 1.0 1.0

ambientonly 0

nDynamicType 1

affectDynamic 0

shadow 1

lightpriority 5

fadingLight 1

I am not sure why no shadows appear on the characters at all. Can you help me out?

Aside from the affectDynamic, the only thing I can think of is the positioning of the light. Than again, I know next to nothing about this sort of thing.

On an unrelated note, Canderis got me something else for me to work on, in exchange for him doing a module retexture that I am too lazy to do myself. He commisioned me to do this, and, so far, I have this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
hallway3.png

ATM, the area is 5286 polys. I think I put in a little too much detail into my columns. They account for nearly 5000 polys in my area.

If your wondering what that triangular item is in Candy's pic, it is a Sith Holocron. I modeled in that too. I based it off of the Sith Holocron in Sith Holocron's avatar (:p)

Show spoiler
Holocron-2.png

Looks nice Trigger. 5000 polys for those pillars? I can't really make out the details besides having a lot of sides.... 24 or something?

You'll might have to bring that back, if you plan to have more of those around in that one area. Though if its just this hall, then I find it ok to have a bit more polys.

It could be the eye-catcher part :p

Most game areas have a certain bit that just pops-out.

To make you feel better, I got a new area in the game, when I check in Max the thing has 26.264 polys in total.

My landingbay has 30.314 polys: I say you still got some to spill.

Ow, right screenshots:

Show spoiler

AqLabs01.jpg

Show spoiler

AqLabs03.jpg

Show spoiler

AqLabs02.jpg

@ Dis: Now you mention the light and shadow thing, it looks like I don't get shadows in my areas aswell, so at the moment I got no clue what I need to put on or off to get it working properly...

24 or something?

I used Max's standard 18 sides, but than I chamfered each edge, and than beveled each of the new polys twice, so that probably added a lot of polys.

And it should only be in that one area. I'm not entirely sure of course...

And, here is the size of the area, compared to the man box.

Show spoiler
Man-Box_comparison.png

actually, when i beveled, it added about 5 extra polys, so a better estimation would be about...

doing this in my head. :p

lets just leave it at a lot of polys per pillar. I tried to recreate what I think a marble pillar would look like in a majestic castle; those rounded curves and valleys in the pillars. That was what I was trying to achieve. Although, even with smoothing groups, I didn't exactly get my result. Still looks cool and regal. o_Q

I had asked him to explain how to get a shipping lane to the right of my platform, with ships flying in a straight line from one end to the other. He told me before it is possible, I guess through Placables and waypoints, but I wanted him to let me know how.

Animations in modules is a real pain in the buttocks, as Q and I have found. Problem being that Placeables cannot "move" and can only "jump" from one location to another. We've only ever found crude work arounds and, as much as I'd rather not point fingers, you could ask about making animated placeables to the others. :p

If you had an animated placeable then presumably there would be some stationary animation, or you would need a heartbeat script to fire the animation over and over again.

The thing is, a ship does not need to be "animated". You could just make the ship utp move along waypoints fast. Nothing on the ship needs to animate.

SS has gotten ships flying in his sheyl demo, and I had asked how.

Looking at the decompiled mod file for taris m03aa, the ships flying in the tunnel ar enot in any 3d model file. They must be in a script, or utp.

I cannot believe no one knows how to do this or something similiar to fake the effect

Hmmm, digging deep into my memory: I believe SS actually took a Taris model and included that to be part of his area model.

You could perhaps dig about the Taris models, see which one includes the vechicles, then just add that Taris model name to your .lyt file.

It'll take some guessing work to position it though.

Using waypoints isn't going to help, its what GM said.

The only thing your placeable would do is "pop up" at each waypoint, instead of slowly shifting from one point to another... well I think its like that?

>_> forget that last part, I'm sure GM will say its false.

Its true :p Placeables cannot move as characters can. As Q said, SS got ships in his area because he took a model from Taris and included it as it was, aside perhaps some hex editing.

At the moment we don't have to tools to animate area models - well KAE is the only tool for area models and it doesn't support animations, while MDLops will support animations but not area models :lol:

Q's right again :p By borrowing a model from Taris you will more than likely have to do some work on positioning, I find that using the MAX file for coordinates helps a great deal. I suggest extracting the appropriate MDL/MDX files for the traffic, decompile to ASCII, import the ASCII model into your MAX file to position, when you have a coordinate then you can copy that down and add it to your LYT file. Putting the Taris models into your override is not necessary because they are already in the game.

Hope that helps, somewhat :)

Hey guys,

I know its been a while, but i just wanted to peak by and say hello. I've been working hard on this player ship interior, and I think i may have discovered a way to make a pseudo/mock light map, at least for surface illumination. Im not sure if you have already figured out a better way to do it, but I figured I would throw it out there.

Here is what my test lightmap looks like:

ely09.jpg

The colors don't quite match up, but that is easily fixed.

Basically, all you have to do is create the image in photoshop and use the alpha to get the gradient. Then create a flat plane in 3dsMax and fit it to your surface and apply the texture. Turn it into an AuroraTrimesh via the modifier list, and then select the alpha to be whatever color you desire. The result is that the part of your texture that isn't transparent will be self illuminated.

-Doc

To get the glowy effects from anything that is illuminated, go into options, graphics and then go to advanced, you will see an option labeled "Frame Buffer Effects" turn it on to add that glow. It will also add extra glow to lightsabers and blaster bolts.

Thanks Doc!

Me and Glovemaster have been looking ages to get this... crap this could mean I need to re-export, recompileand test my models... o_O

Oh, I'm downing you're video update of your mod.

Nice to hear and see the you're team is working :p

Nice to hear and see the you're team is working

Well, by team, I mean mostly me :p Im going to have to get some more people, but im waiting until near the end to do that

Video is gorgeous doc! Ships detail looks insane. Makes me feel ashamed of my middle city mod

Thank you very much. I actually saw some pictures of your inner city mod a few pages back and I think it looks awesome. I have wanted someone to show that side of Taris for such a long time now. Keep up the good work ;)

Guys,

I pose a question to the collective group. I am doing an experiment on animations.

If someone could also try this I would appriciate it.

I am looking at model m02ac_02q, it is taris upper city and 02q is a cut of the model that has some tall skyscrapers, but more importantly the flying air traffic flying over head when your in the upper city.

I extract m02ac_02q using kotortools. I run mdlops and convert the binary file to ascii.

I successfully import m02ac_02q into 3dsm using nwn mdl import feature, and I make sure to check import geom AND animations. All imports ok. I see the towers, and about 90 ships above the city.

When I hit play, the ships all fly as they are suppose to over the city, and loop as they should. it all looks good. At first I tried to copy the animation into my own model. This failed miseribly. SOOOO I decided to do this simple experiment.

After i imported m02ac_02q successfully, ALL i did was rename the aurorabase from m02ac_02q to 777NPI_01ca. I all way still fastlinked ok. I selected the aurorabase, and clicked "export geom AND animation". I clicked it, and all exported fine.

I opened mdlops, clicked on "kotor 1" and browsed to the newly created ascii file "777NPI_01ca". I clicked on "read and write model". In the window is ran through a bunch of things, and then said export complete. I now had a binary version of 777NPI_01ca (mdl/mdx).

I dropped both files in my override folder. I opened my ARE file, and added 777NPI_01ca to the room strut as I did with all my working cut up pieces. I also opened up my lyt file and added 777NPI_01ca to that as well.

I recompiled my MOD file using my new are file, and uploaded the MOD file as well.

I warped to my area, and the game keeps crashing.

Why is this not working? I am not even trying to create new animations. I am simply using an existing area that has animation. Why did the game crash?

In order to have a similar look between my middle city and upper city, I am planning on using a few of the huge tower models from the upper city along with my freshly created ones to blend together. The flying air traffic in m02ac_02q is perfect for my needs. I was planning on deleting 60 or so of the ships and leaving about 30 in the animation. Move it down to the coords I need and wala, i have flying air traffic.

Can someone try this and talk me through it?

Kaurora doesn't support animations at the moment.

What I think you should do:

Just get the models with KT; like you've done.

Don't compile with MDLops or anything: just rename them to 777NPI_01ca

Add that extra room to the .are and the .lyt file; this is where it gets a bit of a head and miss.

In the .lyt file you can say where the Aurorabase of that model part is. How far it is of the center.

You'll have to do some test runs and see where this model fits best.

Archived