Home

Purple Evil Twi'lek Association (PETA)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, it's with some trepidation that I throw my lot in here, as the actual PETA is an extremely repugnant organization (not so much it's stated concern for lesser species, but rather it's antics, tactics and militancy). Having thrown in that "disclaimer", yeah, I agree that YB is one of the better ancillary npcs I've encountered in vid games. The actress has a kind of hot older woman quality to her voice.

:lol:Haha...yeah I'm not a big PETA fan either, but I needed an acronym. But thats why I made sure to put Purple Evil Twi'lek Association before PETA. Believe me, I would never join the real one for reasons stated.

Now, Yuthura... definatly right about the voice. Welcome to the "PETA"

That's probaly not a bad question. Fawning over a charachter would get boring quickly. However, I guess it should relate somehow to YB or her story.

@DY--nice effort. As to suggestions, maybe some backstory--show not tell--, her trouble settling in at the enclave, meeting again w/Revan, maybe even a foray into Hutt space to help some of her former "colleagues". Pretty much stuff you might have thought of (but haven't mentioned yet).

I've already got a lot of story ahead and it mainly covers YB being treated as an outcast and only Revan stands by her side. As the story goes on, she and Revan get closer, but she can't allow herself to fall in love with him. Then there comes a point when she begins to follow his example implicitly. I include more about her backstory through dialog and thoughts. If there are any specific details you would like to see, I can add or enrich what I have.

@ DY - I look forward to it. :)

As to what to talk about...does not really matter...I just intended this group to be Yuthura fans talking about whatever really...hmmm I didn't make that clear in the desription did I? revising it now.

EDIT: And DY's fic will keep us semi-on track with new chapters to discuss

How about we talk politics?! It's only what's been making our ears bleed for the last eight years!

I'm really new to web posting and social group communication, so if I do something out of line; it's out of ignorance. I'd be interested in discussing controversial issues, such as economics, environmental, or historical problems. I won't bring up Yuthura here unless someone asks about her.

Well, we may have just enough people representing different views to keep it from sounding like the minutes at some dem/rep meeting. Throw in a lure and see what bites. And remember, everyone (me too) to attack only the idea and not the person if you don't agree w/the pov. Don't want people thinking this is pyromaniacs inc. :p

I was joking about the politics remark. I thought 'ears bleed' gave that away.

However, I do truly dislike how VERY significant issues are not being debated within the US. The official US debt is almost $10 trillion dollars and growing!

Would it not be in our best interest to demand that leaders solve a little something like that before we start thinking of gas prices and health care? Although those are important, it would be better for US citizens to understand that it is more important to solve greater issues before we start worrying about the less urgent things.

No one has to respond to this. I'm just stating what's on my mind.

About Yuthura: Those of you guys who have been reading DY's fic, it brings up some great issues about her. Like how much trouble she is having gaining the trust of the jedi and Revan's party members. Though she should be able to relate to Juhani quite well as both were jedi, sith, then jedi again. I wonder how the party/ jedi will learn to like her or at least accept her. Thoughts?

About politics:I'm up for anything though I'm not good at suggesting topics, I love to discuss current issues. So if someone would be kind enough as to pick a topic:)...

EDIT:oops just saw DU's post. The national debt has been in existence practically since the U.S. govt was formed, though its definetly increasing. But the country has survived many years with it. That in mind I would argue that there are more pressing things than the debt though I will agree that more should be done about it than is being done now. But I will agree with your point that they need to sort out their priorities and realize that national debt is larger than many of the problems that they gripe about. I mean gas prices seem to be a major issue to people. Yes it does mean that we have to pay more at the pump and pay more to go everywhere, but in the grand scheme of things...except for those with long commutes, I think it is blown out of porportion.

Yes, the our country is in debt. A lot of debt. We do need to pay all of it off to, but that will certainly take a lot of time. I think that we should start making payments, and try to help the people of our nation, and try to solve our economic problems. Gas is getting way too expensive, as well as food, along with many more products. If we are going to get anywhere, we need to start focusing on this issuses.

We need to get off of gas. It is an addiction that we Americans have. We need to use our minds, and try to build something that is an alternative to gas, otherwise our children, and children's children, ect. will suffer. We shouldn't just shrug this problem off.

[/rant]

I have come to accept that the US debt is a VERY complicated issue. What I meant to say was that Americans should recognize that we cannot sustain our way of life as we have. The US is an empire. We have our tentacles spread all around the world and few of us realize that our prosperity comes from another's suffering.

I am too much of an idealist, but I know that making a massive change would involve means beyond my comprehension. The greater a population becomes, the harder it is to manage a system to sustain them. I just think that Americans could be less willfully ignorant. Consequences have already been set in motion that we will not feel for years to come. I know that the world is not simple, but many of its problems could be solved through everyone taking simple actions.

One of the biggest things that contributes to the US debt is that we aren't aware that we consume more than we export. If the US wants to get off oil, we need to start using more sustainable fuels. The problem with this is that all the best energy sources require a huge capital investment. Solar and Wind are almost free, but because they cost so much to start up, most of the costs go into interest payments and not operating the power plants.

Americans should recognize that in the end, nuclear energy is the best energy source we could use. It won't be accepted until it becomes the wisest energy to invest in. As coal prices continue to rise, nuclear and renewables will be the only options available. The sooner we start switching, the easier it will be to adapt.

I agree fully. What it all comes down to is that we NEED to find an alternative energy source. Nuclear energy would be an awesome energy source, the only problem is where we put the waste. That is pretty much the only problem that we have. However, if we start using nuclear power, what do you think Iran would have to say? We can't be hypocritical.

Not really a question of access to peaceful nuclear technology (really a dual use tech if you're honest), but rather a concern about how they will use the waste byproduct from the plants (disposal?....wouldn't hold my breath).

A single 1GW coal plant produces about five times more waste in one year than all the American nuclear reactors in the last 60 years (290,000 tons of ash vs. 55,000 tons of spent nuclear rods). Nuclear reactors produce a very tiny volume of waste byproducts compared to any other fuel. Although it is extremely expensive to burry spent fuel rods, the sheer volume is more than made up for that. Once spent fuel rods are deposited at Yucca Mountain, they won't be able to harm anyone.

Once coal is burned, there is no means to restrict where the pollutants will spread. Although nuclear energy is not a completely clean fuel, we have the means to restrict where the waste will end up.

As for our use of nuclear energy... the genie is out of the bottle. The best solution for the dangers of nuclear energy is to put more effective safety measures in place. Every nuclear disaster, except for 3 mile island, resulted because set safety measures were violated. Although past disasters occurred, the causes were easily preventable.

I would support renewable energy first, but it is not reliable for more than 20% of a power grid. I would also abolish the production of ethanol unless we can switch from corn to switchgrass. The biggest reason why food becomes so expensive is because agricultural land is being lost to cattle feed and the production of ethanol(Among many other causes).

Archived