Home

Purple Evil Twi'lek Association (PETA)

Don't get me wrong, I care about the environment, and try my best not to do anything that would harm it.

I think that we should use up OUR resources, and not be reliable on other countries to provide for us. There are just so many people to provide water, energy, ect for, I think that this is one of our only options. If there we less people, and more people that would actually use their brains to solve these types of problems, I wouldn't see the real need to really use up a whole lot of OUR natural resources.

My science teacher has said this several times,

"We would have a lot of our problems solved if people would start using their(/challenging) brains, instead of playing video games."

That is honestly a rough quote, but I think that it still gets my point across. So, what do you think about this comment?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I play video games way too much and am letting my brain die slowly, but I know that I am harming myself by doing that. Many do it and don't think about it... and act as if they are bold when they are truly below contempt. I don't try to act as if I know more than a actually do, but there are times when I talk of the world as if it's simple when its not. Even if we knew all the problems of the world, how would we go about fixing them?:confused: What if it's hard? Would we expect everyone to do their part?

One thing about the last post: The US has very few people for the land it occupies, but we can often buy resources cheaper from other countries. The US does not have as many factories as it once did because corporations can get cheaper labor from China or Korea. This also applies to many resources. Coal has been cheaper and more favorable to buy from Canada than it has been to mine in the US. If Canada starts demanding more for their coal, then it will become less favorable to import from them and be more viable to mine from the US.

I think that the US has become so dependent on many foreign resources that we have stopped taping our own and will have a hard time maintaining the auto, steel, oil production, and manufacturing industries. Because we let many of these industries decay over the decades, bringing them back up to code and modernizing them will require huge capital investments.:(

Yes it will require huge capital investments but in the long run, I feel its would be worth it because is not good for a country to almost entirely depend on other countries for just about everything. Even if we could get resources from both ourselves and other countries, it would be an improvement. Not the picky ones like oil or coal mind you, but maybe some others.

As to the video games: like probably amost every other person on the KOTOR forums, I too am guilty of playing too many video games, but in my defence I do work my butt off in school and sports, so games are a kind of reward after the hard work...except in summer, I probably lose IQ points every summer.:xp: I dont know, I'm taking AP US/world govt next year, so maybe a good insight to how the world is run will allow me to do my party and help solve problems...then again most of the people in those high govt postitions are not doing so hot with solving them at this point.

I was generally stating that people aren't challenging their brains, and too busy playing video games. I also wasn't talking about all of the world's problems. ;) That would be near-impossible. I have to honestly say that I don't play that many video games. Today, I have only played about 10 minutes. I am too busy to play video games. Sure, I'll probably play more over the summer, but hey...

Oh yes I know. :) But it is a good point...I tested at a 12th grade vocabulary level in 5th grade, and guess what, I still test at a 12th grade vocabulary level now. Show how much my brain has developed. Summer will probly turn it to mush anyway.:xp: But still have work to do and I have not even got around to my summer tradition of new playthroughs of KOTOR during the first week. :D Yeah my summer started in like May but I still have so many projects to do *sigh* (Speaking of which, I any one knows were to find an essay on how Vincent Van Gogh's life reflects in his art, I would be most greatful :)) But your teacher makes a good point...I one of those has real potential and works hard enough to get by, but does not truely apply themselves people. Should change that.

My Grandfather recently died. He was a salesman, but he strived for self actualization. Although he didn't need to develop his talents to an extreme level, but he always kept himself busy and read so much that he died with more marbles than he had ten years ago. He was a great example of how hard work often pays off over time. I'm afraid I live by 'laziness always pays off now.'

It seems rather ironic that I write a story about a great example of a person, but I don't follow that. I know that the only way to change that is through hard work and refusing simple pleasures.

He was 94, but he lived every moment of his life. When a nurse was checking his heart rate, he said "I'm not dead yet." When I was hearing his friends talking about how he lived, I made me realize the value of the moment. It's not just a single one, but every moment like that for the rest of my life that's at stake(So I can't waste moments writing a bunch of crap that others won't read!). No, not really.

I'm starting to run out of ideas for 'Shrouded in Darkness.' I was wondering if anyone would be interested in requests. If there is a subject that you'd like to see in the story, I'd include it later posts.

I do have a chapter almost done on Yuthura confronting slavery to accomplish a mission. She also goes up against capital punishment. And I have started an overall story arc as well.

I would take requests if they are given and I could write an entire chapter around a very simple idea. I'd just like a few fresh ideas. Thanks.

To Rev 7:

No. The capital punishment is nothing like what you think. This is one of my favorite chapters because it shows Yuthura evolving to act more to protect innocents rather than punishing the guilty. It doesn't fit in with the story line... and I may just put it in for the sole purpose of enrichment. Based off a Law and Order episode; this gives some depth to the Republic system of law as well.

If there is a controversial issue that you would like to see her confront, just give one or two sentences and I'll do the rest. Thanks.

P.S. The photo I submitted is not of Yuthura, but I like the 'mischievous' nature of her.

I know there really is not a good place to put this as of yet, but I would suggest a traitor somewhere in the story. Certainly not a party member or Alfred or anything like that but it adds insecurity to the story. Add a little Who did it? thing. When bad stuff happens maybe they figure out that its someone on the inside...

Maybe Yuthura working with a party member on a mission. Like someone on Corascant sending her info or gathering stuff she needs off a computer. This way its more of a team effort than just Yuthura on her own.

Yuthura and Capital Punishment huh? I'm looking forward to it. :D

EDIT: nice pic!

HOP:

I would agree that I have not included Yuthura with many 'team' efforts. I had intended to give the story 3 main sections where she would integrate with the jedi, carry out normally for a few months, and then find her way when the Order disperses.

So far, I've not followed this. Yuthura continues to remain isolated, but the next chapter will begin to end that. As for the 'main enemy...' I like the traitor idea. Although she is her own worst enemy, I want Yuthura to have a nemesis or to be targeted by one of Revan's. Problem is that I can't come up with one that really works well.

Yes unfortunately you will probably have to create the character from scratch. But if the traitor is a person that Yuthura trusts that makes it even better. Someone that she likes, that the reader likes...and then BAM!, bad guy. Its hard to just make a new character and put them into the story but if you can manage, it will work well.

Actually I find the Yuthura standing alone feel intriguing, but yes adding more team scenes would be nice. This work is going really well so far.

I was in the middle of a fic that I have not started putting on the forums, but I stopped because I've been so busy. Your fic has encouraged me to get back to it, so thanks for that. :)

P.S. Sup Padawan?

~HOP

Thanks HOP. I'm glad to know that others appreciate YB's tale.

I think I have a nemesis that would work well, but I don't know how to introduce him to the story.

He would be a sith whom Yuthura personally corrupted on Korriban. When she had left the sith, he was the last survivor and departed before she returned. When he makes his presence known, she is convinced that she can turn him back, but may have to face that he was too dangerous to capture. This story arc could extend over several chapters. I can't say anything else right now or I'll spill too much of what is to come. I think I already said too much for the time being.

I haven't started writing him yet, so he's still open. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, they're always welcome. Thanks.

I like that idea a lot! As to how to introduce him...definatly gradually. Dont want to come out of nowhere and say "Here I am, your arch nemesis Muuaahahaha!" :D Other than that quite obvious piece of advice...could be linked to the traitor somehow, like the traitor could be working for him/her. Gathering info on Yuthura and reporting back to the nemesis. Then when it comes down to the traitor being discovered we find out who they really work for...

I don't know, thats the only thing that I could come up with off the top of my head. I'll think for a while and hopfully come up with new ideas.

Incidentally, I noticed that our group membership has stayed at six for quite a while. I'm happy with the small number but if there is anybody else that any of you want to invite, tell me so I can send an invitation. :)

~HOP

There's someone who has displayed interest in YB... even wrote his own story. I informed him of lucasforums, but haven't gotten any response. If anyone is interested in his version, it's "My Yuthura Ban Story" on boards.theforce.net. It's third person and more direct, but lacks personal conflicts in my opinion. It does seem more uplifting as well. However, I think that the story's not going to progress much more.

I think that someone should put a bounty on Yuthura's head. A well known, ruthless bounty hunter, and Yuthura should have to make the desicion on whether to kill him/her or not. I think that it might be something interesting.

Maybe because of her betrayal of the Sith, or something goes wrong in the undercover slave mission?

Just some ideas. :)

I've come up with a nemesis that may prove very suitable, not only for Yuthura, but for the story's lessons or morals. She knew him from Korriban. He also has a tragic backstory like the main character, but he choses to take a path he knows is lost. Where Yuthura had her original cause to return to the jedi, this one's cause was already lost. Could she convince him to come back to the light, or has his fate been sealed long ago?

So, is this an original or a fleshed out pre-existing charachter?

Read your fic over the last 3 days and it's a pretty engaging tale.

Main problem (storywise) is that Rev/Trev seems a bit weak. He appears to behave like a lovesick teen around Yuthura. Also, the only real problem I had with the man by the tram was that he seemed to be mollified a bit too easily. Her faking the records and using the mind trick to get out of minor trouble were fine. She's supposed to be trying to reform, not be totally reformed. Since I was reading more for story, I didn't get bogged down in editing mode. I'm guessing that when you type these, you're either typing fast (you miss whole words every now and then) or are maybe tired (some of them are kinda of long). I think there was one case where it seemed like you were moving between past and present tense in your use of verbs (tends to drive editor types crazy, I think). Overall, not bad. Will continue to follow as you go.

Archived