Home

The LFN Round Table

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all involved in bringing us these new toys.

Now, my question is: how does the ownership of LF work?

I know that some of the Admins are owners. Are they connected? Like, if you become an admin do you then become part-owner? Do these owners pay for LF? How much does it cost to run this? I'd imagine the advertising pays for some of it, but servers can get expensive.

I would also assume then that these owners are the ones that have the lines of communication with LA and are the ones that keep us in good standing with them, correct?

_EW_

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of questions right out of the gate Ender... good to see the interest.

1) There are a small group of partners including myself that actually are members of the LFNetwork, LLC. All the members of the actual LLC are of course admins. There are many admins that are not actually LLC members, but from time to time, they may become members after significant contributions to the LLC and Network.

Just because an Admin may not be a member of the LLC does not mean they are any less important... everyone in the community from Owners to unregistered members just viewing play an important part of keeping the network alive.

2) The costs are significant to run the network... from LLC fees, to accountants, to insurance, to server costs to taxes... the ads cover the costs.. but there's barely if any breathing room after that and for years we all paid out of our own pockets to keep it alive before it could cover its own costs.

3) Yes, we of course have been working with LucasArts for over 11 years now.. directly and in some circumstances directly under contract with them.

Hope that answers your questions... that's about as much detail as I can share, but hopefully that was worth your while.

Thanks a lot Aristotle.

I didn't realize we were so close to LA.

So from a financial point of view, LF is now in the black, right? You were talking about how you guys used to have to help pay, but I'd assume at this point in time that it can handle itself. The ads much bring in a lot of cash though.

_EW_

Here's another:

How is all of this being moderated?

I'm sure that there are a lot of profile, blog, picture, and social group comments being posted. How is it that you can keep up? Especially because I heard you need at least Super Mod status to edit/delete these comments?

_EW_

Yes DarthAve, it is mandatory. :mad:

EW: The reported post system has been modified to centralize all the reports for moderators to view. These will show up in your Quick Link "Your Post Reports" so you can get the feedback as it's handled.

If I may be so bold to ask, how is LFN's relationship with LucasArts is these days?

Maybe I've been inhaling too much jet exhaust but it seems to me that after Simon Jeffery's departure LucasArts hasn't been real interested in doing much with their fanbase relationships. Maybe now that there is a new president on the scene that will change. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of the LFN owners wanted to comment.

"I'm sure that there are a lot of profile, blog, picture, and social group comments being posted. How is it that you can keep up?"

-- EnderWiggin

As all this is new it is pretty much in an evaluation phase to see how well the current setup works. Currently global/super moderators can moderate these new features, since they aren't tied to a particular forum or section. Though hopefully members will help out and report questionable content; there should be a "report" link on all messages, pictures and comments to bring them to the attention of the staff.

If the burden proves too much for super moderators to keep up (which I doubt would happen) we can appoint more to help out, or add specific message/comment moderators who are responsible for keeping an eye on these features. :)

But look at the date of last activity. Some of them are weeks, or months, or since january, or years. They're the ones that are inactive but still have the title.

ChAiNz for example. Not been around in like 4-5 months, but is still a supermod.

_EW_

Well, good thing the activity is @ a fairly manageble level and that most of the people here seem to be fairly reasonable. Blog posts and social groups would be pretty easy to monitor due to ease of tracking them, while profile comments could rely on individuals self-monitoring and reporting problems. Unless or until the volume "explodes", it should be no problem (RL problems notwithstanding). But as Stoffe points out, they can always add staff as needed (all they have to do is find the masochists :D ).

I think that it is pretty managable right now. However, I think that it could get a little bit out of hand, once everybody figures out how to use all of the new features. That is just speculation though, and I certainly hope that it doesn't happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the new features, such as the blog, album, and group options very much. Rev7 did make a good point, but, looking at the more active community, I don't think moderation will be too much of a problem.

What I'm concerned about is website space. Just how much information can this forum handle at once? If it isn't a very high amount, then I'd be worried; what with supporting all the things members get to use now. I don't know how many different members are still active in the LF network in total, but, as Rev7 said, once everyone figures out hwo to use the new features, it could get out of hand. I'm not saying that there should be a restiction on how many blogs or photos a member can have; I'm just wondering if the server or whatever this forum runs through will be able to handle everything long-term.

Archived