Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

The GPU client is one that uses your graphics card instead of your CPU to fold. If you have a pretty powerful graphics card, then you could switch to that, as it dramatically increases folding simulation speeds.

WUs, or Work Units, are simply the amount of simulation packages that you've completed.

And welcome aboard, matey. :waive1:

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impossible to say without specific info about the card. The GPU doesn't accept every card, as far as I know. I think, for nVidia cards, it has to be a 8xxx Series or higher. Don't know for ATI cards, but you can look it up on the folding@home site.

Welcome, by the way. ;)

Its an Nvidia G-force - dunno which one it is though. :(

Guys, today at about 3pm - I went from 250 points to 359 points - I had my client on all day after that - and ever since around 3:30 I have been playing KOTOR so i can get saves that have finished certain things. It is midnight now and I have come off it. I see my points have not increased at all and atm when i highlight it it says CPU - F@H Working (525/1500)

WU's (work units) take awhile to complete it seems nowadays.. plus the WU's complete faster when there's no other programs running. You can also allocate how much processor is used for WU's.. but I wouldn't recommend messing with the setting unless you leave your computer idle.

Also, the servers only update every 3 hours. So that along with slow processing can cause you some delays. GPU cores run much faster than CPU cores.. so just take it slow and easy.

I wouldn't worry about it much honestly. All points are good no matter how many you accrue.. the cause is worth more :D

------

Glad to have you back Da_Man! :waive1:

kk m8 thanks for the info. I leave my computer most of the time anyway coz i use it to watch my dvds at night - so its pretty much ALWAYS on - and last night i was watching buffy where it gained 250 points. dont ask why i watch em on PC, it has become a weird habit of mine :p

Edit: Chainz, u know like i pm'd u that resize to fit request? i went ahead and added my foldng sig -- so if u can plz resize my other image its on http://lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=160208&dateline=1239471522

Heya Gang, question.

It's been awhile so I forget, does the CPU usage matter on a GPU client (mines set at 100% right now anyways and isn't hurting anything). Also, should I be clicking the allow larger than 10mb files check box?

I can't for the life of me remember what I had my last client set at. :headbump

Anywho, I'll leave my settings where they are at for now.. seems to be still pumping out the WU/points (roughly 6,000-7,000+ daily). But if I can squeak out some more points for the Team, it won't hurt my feelings to start clicking boxes.. hehehe :D

F@H petered out on me last night and won't re-start again (immediate crash) *sigh*

Looks like I'll be fixing that today :fist:

EDIT: seems to happen everytime a WU requires 'FahCore_14.exe' (which I have in the directory as well as FahCore_11.exe).

Will probably just delete it and let F@H download a new one. We'll see. ;)

I do think CPU usage matters on a GPU client. And accepting work assignments larger than 10mb means you'll sometimes get these WU's that are worth more points than other work assignments, and the difference can be big. I have it ticked, and performance hasn't suffered.

On earlier GPU clients, CPU was affected more, but it's minimal now....as you can see from this quick screengrab(numbers via the pc wizard app)

foldinCPU.jpg

I dont have the 10mb thing set atm due to bandwidth issues, and have everything else set on default>>

@Tribbiani/Bloodwarp - check your display settings to see what card you have. The higher speec CUDA optimised folding is only available on certain 8xxx series GPUs onwards.

welcome back Da_Man! Hope your compy is behaving itself nowdays ;)

mtfbwya

K.. I'm about at my wit's end here. To be such an 'uber' card, this 280 is a major pain in the arse :fist: Seems I'm not alone at least according to the F@H and EOC forums.. ahh well.

Will keep trying to get this damned thing running again. I've tried about 10 different installs and configurations, swapping psu cables, bios voltage settings and underclocking the card to stock specs.. nada. Temps are cool & steady too. Kills me that I had this thing running smoothly for 3+ days then :hurk:

And people wonder why I like macs :xp:

Looking into PSU and/or card issues as well... If I have to RMA this card or get another PSU.. I'm going to be irrate to say the least.. hehehe

Just an update in case you notice my stats dropping (again). Till then, I still have the PS3 running.. anything is better than nothing. ;)

EDIT: figures.. it's the PSU. Apparently alot of problems exist with the gtx280 & the UltraX3 1,000w. Joy.

So until I can get a new PSU and test the sucker.. my folding will be limited to PS3. :disaprove

Well Since yesterday I have gone from 369 points to 594 points and it says I have done 2 WUs - I assume thats good with what I have been doing. (playing kotor all day and night :p)

@Astro

#1 Nvidia GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 620i -- that's mine according to my display settings.

#2 - What is mftbwya - I have wondered what it is for months!

@Bloodwarp(or should we say Taak? :p), sig changes to indicate if you are moving up and down in stats ranking for team. Its hardly a problem :D

Also, please note you can edit your posts, no need for a triple post sandwich. The 'edit' button is on R bottom hand corner of the post frame.

2 - What is mftbwya - I have wondered what it is for months!

ye, what tk said. Just like the aurebesh in my sig, it's a badge of honour for being a SW EU geek being a pre 2000 member of theforce.net. The few others that used it at TFN have since ditched in a vain attempt to look cool :D

@Da_Man. yep, thats the last thing youd want it to be (from a troubleshooting perspective) but glad to hear its all sorted now :)

Chainz > Glad youve identified the culprit! Dont those 1000W tree rapers PSUs usually have an uber warranty? Did you know? You can get a 280 to run on a shuttle SX58H7 with a mere 500W PSU! ;) Halve your electricity bills. Money saved goes on beer, pizza and impressing supernodels with your folding stats :D

mtfbwya

hehehe, true.. but the PSU isn't necessarily defunct.. just not enough for my current moneysink pc :xp: I can always pop it in to one of my other machines.

I really do love those shuttle cases.. the one you pointed to doesn't support my CPU though (QX9650) :fist: Might have to dig around over there and see what I can find should I decide to ditch my build and frankenstein it for parts... hehehe

I just think that atm, a new psu is the cheaper route (till I pay my doctor bills off :lol: )

whilst you can enable different tricks to give you more points, the speed which you get through WUs is entirely dependent on your hardware. Running the program for as long asyou can, and utilising CPU and GPU are the best way to get through more WUs. Just be aware that maximising WU output renders your pc not good for much else, so best leave it doing that when you're not using it. eg. late at night etc

That being said, I dont think it's too healthy to let the folding numbers dictate your pc use. Do what you want first, whatever folding you can fit in around that varies with all of us. Using the gpu client is ideal for me. You can do most basic stuff and not even notice its going.

mtfbwya

It was.. but that was on the old client and old WU's... nowadays they're much bigger and seems to be mucking with my system. However there's alot of people having problems with the UltraX3 and 280's (it's all about the amps, not so much about wattage). That and UltraX3 doesn't have a native 8pin plug required for 280's.. just a 6(2) plug which can't supply the guaranteed juice it craves.

Thing is, I can 'run' my card and machine..I just can't task the graphics card (no games or intensive gpu use). Never have been.. it's been a constant battle I've been dealing with since I built the damn machine :lol: But since it was folding fine, I never really stepped up to fix it. Now that I can't even fold with it.. it's time to get the problem settled once and for all :D

Archived