Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

welcome to LoTFish and Liverandbacon. Thank you for sorting the badge chainz :)

I've reached an impasse in my gaming, ME2/AC2 finished.. Im waiting for DAO to show up - until then Im going to run both GPUs when weather permits

Folks may have noticed the GTX 480 has been released... with bright side of news posting that the GTX 480 can manage 13000 PPD - on its own. Not bad ;) Still, I think my GTX295 17000 PPD (weather and gaming permitting) will hold me in good stead for a while longer :)

mtfbwya

Started up a 9800GTX client (one of my spares) finally. Can't contribute the GTX280 just yet, since it's being used for a freelance project atm.. but I figured this would be a decent intermediate ;)

Not sure how many points it will contribute, but along with my PS3, should be a decent push to get us out of the current 670+ range plateau.. hehehe

On a side note.. has anyone here not received their F@H badge yet (50 work units)? While some of the usernames match your LFN username, others don't. So I don't know some of you monkeys :xp:

Anywho, if anyone seems to be missing a badge, give me yell here or PM and I'll tag you ;)

Started up a 9800GTX client (one of my spares) finally. Can't contribute the GTX280 just yet, since it's being used for a freelance project atm.. but I figured this would be a decent intermediate ;)

Not sure how many points it will contribute, but along with my PS3, should be a decent push to get us out of the current 670+ range plateau.. hehehe

Very nice ChAiNz. My GTS 250 rates 4000-5000 PPD though I only run folding on it during night time hours. I expect your 9800 GTX should get the same since they are pretty much the same card.

Just as an FYI, our team is now ranked [highlight]666[/highlight] among all F@H teams. :dev11:

I wonder of the PPDs will change now that the GTX 480 is out. I havent run my card at full pelt on a dual client for a while. Its starting to cool down here climate wise - so I should get back to that a bit.

My 1600p is going back to samsung again... sigh. So I'm going to be playing DAO on a 15" beige 1024x768 monstrosity for the next cpl of weeks at least :(

:violin:

mtfbwya

Professor Pande has posted a new blog entry advising F@H contributors the new GPU3 client is being prepped for rollout. Main takeaway is that anybody running the GPU client on an NVIDIA card will need to be running 185.85 drivers or higher if they want to run the GPU3 client. I don't think that should be a problem for anybody here. Not sure when we'll see the new GPU3 client either as it still needs to run through closed beta testing. My guess is 2-3 months.

As an FYI, I'll be taking my PS3 folding offline at the end of this month and sticking to night time GPU folding only. The higher summer electricity rates kick in at the beginning of May for me and at ~1,000 PPD and about 144 kWh consumption per month I've determined I get better performance per watt out of my GPU. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@Char > As your summer kicks in, things are getting decidedly Wintry here!! Which my mediterranean constitution absolutely hates! :p

My monitor is STILL being bundled about... and the information forthcoming from Samsung has been woeful. It has really gotten to that 'yell and swear at people and ask for the manager' stage which is a real shame because I prefer/tried the polite and diplomatic way - but sometimes people just don't listen :( ugh. The biggest issue is the fact that the 305T has no successor in the samsung line. They're used to swapping out new for old with warranty claims - they cant do it with this one - thus the hassle...

*sigh* I am really leaning towards a 1080p 40" if they cant do anything for my monitor.

In the interim, I keep plugging away at my art history blog thingy - which now has an extra dimension of an art/history/film/literature fact a day issued via Twitter. I promise to *never* list what I had for lunch!

I literally started that just a couple of days ago, so feel free to have a look/follow if you're into such things, or pass it onto someone who may be interested [/shameless self promotion] :thmbup1:

[align=center]250+twitter.png[/align]

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

ah, the monitor saga has nearly ended...... the 305T is officially DEAD, and samsung have promised me a full refund. I'm all busy figuring out what to do.

My main contenders are

1. Dell ultrasharp WPS 3008 - only 30" but recreates my previous 1600p experience + HDMI Support

2. Sony Bravia Edge lit led 1080p - 40" 1080p - comes with a free PS3 by redemption

3. Samsung edge lit 40" 1080p

Even though all my displayjunkie friends are puking at my mention of a TV as a monitor, they don't realise that the screen size is a big deal for me... I'd trade in a but of screen real estate (from 2500x1600) but get a *much* bigger screen.

I plan on waltzing into a retailer with the shuttle sx58H7 in hand - if they want the cash, they have to let me plug in and play mass effect for a few mins :D

mtfbwya

Nick must definitely be churning the CPU client to be clocking a WU/day ;) Make sure you monitor your CPU temps Nick!

As for me... I'm still in the grips of my monitor decision :p Today I plonked my 40'' 720p HDTV on my PC desk to see if it was viable as a monitor in terms of size... for the distance I was sitting from it, it was sorta OK but I really missed the crispness of 1600p, which I don't think even the 1080p monitors via HDMI will fix.

Also the sheer scale of 40" at just an arms length away is something I don't think is that good for your eyes. In this instance, I don't have the option of wall mounting a couple of metres away.

I'm leaning back towards the Dell 30" now.... displayjunkie pals have stopped facepalming. Once the cash arrives from samsung, only then will I make the final call.

Edit:

It's final... the Dell 3008 is the winner. Once you go 1600p, you can never go back... This photo may have had something to do with my final decision

DELL3008WFP.jpg

Now hurry up with that refund cheque samsung :D

mtfbwya

lolz... still waiting on the refund from Samsung... $1900 is a sizeable amount of money to get back so I'm happy to be a bit patient. I've been told the cheque is imminent - after which I will place the order for the Dell. Until then, I'm stuck on a monitor that is faulty and keeps bringing up the OSD and lock/unlock symbols :p As a result, I haven't done much gaming at all for weeks.

mtfbwya

Archived