Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know the new GPU client is working fine for you Astro. You are a most benevolent beta tester. :D

Since I don't have a Fermi card I wasn't planning on updating my GPU client until 6.3 clears beta and goes into full production.

@Char - even when the switch is complete - Fermi still get all the core15 projects, whereas other cards get a core 11/15 mixture. That's why you'll find both cores living in your f@h folder nowdays, whichever client you use. I'm not really sure how that affects PPD though.

I dont mind testing 6.3 at all, as long as the WU are being clocked! I definitely haven't had the end of session squabbles I used to get when I first set up mutli GPU.

I have recently migrated to Windows7 as my full time OS and had to redo my shortcuts - much easier now I knew what I was doing, but the new client makes it ZERO degrees easier. ie. Multi GPU client setup is identical as per previous. It's a bit of a shame - but I guess it must be hard to code for such a thing. It'd be ideal if you just had a checkbox or a dial you could slide to adjust how much each GPU works. I'm running at factory clocks and still scraping near 15000PPD, good ole 295 - who needs a Fermi :) Looking at the numbers, it seems like chainz 280 is still powering along strongly too.

Owing to ambient temps, my shuttle toaster is keeping the 295 in the high 70s/low 80Cs - which I'm perfectly happy with.

One thing I have noticed is that cloning a display using multiple monitors does not support the multi F@h GPU setup. You need to have it enabled as two separate displays. I actually use two monitors(one is an occasional use bedroom HTPC display) so don't know how this affects those who use dummy plugs to enable the multi GPU setup.

mtfbwya

6 months of hassles ended today - the Dell is here and I can start gaming again ;)

SHepOnDell.jpg

woot! It's a *very nice* monitor. Brushed aluminum bezel, sturdy tilt arm, heaps of connectivity options including scaled 1080p for console funs. Tested my friends ps3 on it - looked great. In a way I'm glad the samsung died because getting a console would have required a new 1080p compliant monitor. The fact that this 1600p native display can do it is just super!

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

i have just inherited my roommates ancient Dell. It has a P4 1.7 socket 482, and I am wondering if it would be worth the $40 to upgrade to a 2.93 single core and use it as a folding mule? Right now, it is laughable as a folder. It has a 4xAGP gpu slot, so I think a GPU client is slightly out of the question :lol:

I ask because this type of stuff - cpu capabilities and the stress of the client on such a bleeping old rig, is technically over my head. If it explodes and dies folding, I wouldn't cry, as long as it was doing good work 'til the end :p

I guess I'll look into a GPU client capable PCI gpu card, if such a thing exists and is cheeeeep.

The 9800 is a great card that still clocks decent numbers.. IIRC, I think that is what Char is running.

If you're happy to thrash a netburst CPU into fiery oblivion, the SMP client is the way to go. Keep an eye on those temps tho!

Prof. Pande from the f@h team blog has updated some news on the V7 client - native GPU multicore setups seem to be on the agenda. They are about to start a limited alpha before letting everyone else hop on.

Here's an update on our v7 client efforts. The v7 client is a complete re-write in order to make the client more reliable, simple to maintain, and easier to include features that donors have requested. The first versions will not have everything that donors have asked for, but there will be some significant changes, such as the integration of classic, SMP, and GPU clients, the ability for a single client to handle all of these (eg multi-core + GPU) simultaneously (via multiple cores), a cleaner and more reliable GUI, much better and sophisticated tools for 3rd party developers, and in time the ability to use the FAH client to manage multiple machines easily.

The console version of the v7 client has gone through internal testing and we're starting a very limited alpha release. There are definitely some rough edges, but I'm excited to see it get this far. Assuming there are no show stoppers, I hope that we'll have something ready for open beta testing in a month or two, maybe sooner.

mtfbwya

I'm running a GTS 250 now which in reality isn't any different as far as folding performance goes than the 9800 GTX+. I just got the GTS 250 since it had 1 GB RAM vs. the 512 of the 9800 GTX+ and significantly reduced power consumption compared to the 9800 GTX+. Plus I think the specific 9800 GTX+ card I used contained some questionable memory blocks that crashed WU's from time to time. The GTS 250 I have now has been rock solid in that regard.

Qui-Gon Glenn,

IMHO it's not worth investing any money into that ancient Dell system you inherited from your roommate. I'm all about efficient utilization of electricity and the P4 Netburst definitely didn't have that compared to Core2 and later processors. If you're not concerned about power consumption though then just run the CPU client and see if you're satisfied with the PPD it produces.

A little bit of folding downtime recently... I just completed a full migration to Win7x64. My vista install was having some issues and was taking up some valuable space with a small Win7 partition. I've rubbed them both out and consolidated into one mega partition.

I've had to reinstall ME2 entirely to access my content, and will likely have to do the same if I ever go back to that. Luckily I didnt need to do this for Trek MMO. It seems to be happy to let me play it of a non system partition even without having installed it in this OS.

Once Ive finished the new(ish) ME2 DLC that I didnt even know was out(thanks world cup!) I will get back to f@h ;)

mtfbwya

Okay, my folding days were ages ago, but I don't think my PC could handle a lot more. Now, though, I got myself a PS3 and found the folding channel. Am a bit confused about how to configure it, but once I figure it out, I might do some folding once more! :D

Nice to see you crunching some WU's again, Miltiades. :)

A big congratulations is in order. Our fearless leader Astro has surpassed the two million points threshold! :clap2:

That's right! Read it and weep work units! The Astro comes for you. :ball:

cheers char!

welcome back Miltiades!

I'll be getting back on dual GPU folding soon, so chainz superior WU total should change its pants to brown: SOON :p

Following my switch to Win7x64 full time, The Dell 3008 was having some issues on the 257.21 drivers during gaming only .... longstoryshort - I'm back on the epically stable 196.21. I noticed G3D has the 258.96 WHQLs but Im not keen on making the jump yet...

mtfbwya

Hmmm.... Hopefully NVIDIA has a fix for that in the latest driver release.

Folding@home has posted the v6.32 GPU client on their client download page. This is the version that supports GPU3 cores and GPU3 cores are the only ones that will run on NVIDIA Fermi GPU's. As far as I know nobody on our team has made the jump to a GTX 4xx series card yet so this is probably just FYI atm. ;)

It looks like the GTX 470 can produce about 7500-8000PPD, given that Billy has clocked over 7000PPD in the last 24 hours or so :)

I wonder what Billys temps are like on that thing. I monitor mine with evga precision or the multisensor widget + everest. Right now Im folding with both GPUs and have temps at 75-80C, which is about right for this card and my smallform case.

Its cold in my part of Oz atm, so happy to due some foldin + heatin :p

mtfbwya

Archived