Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

Yeah, I'll be shutting down my GPU Client as well for the coming months, the 8800GT is having difficulties with the temperatures, and so am I. :) So it's PS3 folding only for now (and sporadically at that, I'm on a Red Dead Redemption killing spree).

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happily my PC's are going to fold or ELSE!!! Really though, this PC I am typing on will fold until it explodes, except for when I am gaming on it. When it dies, I am itching to build it's replacement, despite the Georgia heat that is on its way.

The HTPC seems to be a folding beast - the 460 stays pretty steady in a safe zone of temperature regardless of ambient heat. We keep the apartment pretty cool to begin with, but the case is monstrous and has an abundance of fans and ventilation. Once again, I cannot overstate the quality of everything about the Lian-Li case. I will stick with them - it is a well machined piece of aluminum, light, clean cool and good-looking. I used to resent the badge on the front (because it seems out of place surrounded by Onkyo and Sony equipment) but now I have turned that corner and am happy to explain what it is. Most people look at it and think it is my CD player or a power amp :D

Astro is well-missed by us all I think, but what he founded endures and is keeping strong! If ever he returns, the Steward of Foldor can Return to the King his throne.

Yeah, sorry, seemed a little long since I last made an LotR reference, so consider it my yearly yawner :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late on announcing our team's [highlight]17 million points[/highlight] milestone. Kudos to ChAiNz, Qui-Gon, Miltiades, Star Admiral, chi7891, Negative Sun, Sith Holocron and everybody else who keeps our team truckin'! :thumbsup:

I don't know if anybody else saw this little tidbit on bit-tech.net back in March but just in case you happen to get access and control of a server farm for a weekend this is what kind of folding action you can do.

Calling himself zz9pzza (and james_ on our forums), our team's new recruit produced nearly six million points on 21 March - close to double the average production rate of the entire CPC team.

So I am breaking in three racks,' explained James in our Folding forum, 'each rack has four chassis, each chassis has 14 blades. Each blade is a dual processor machine with six cores per processor and 36GB of RAM.'

As forum user Mankz pointed out, this means that zz9pzza's folding farm contains 2,016 cores and 6TB of RAM.

However, it looks as though our team isn't going to be enjoying the fruits of zz9pzza's exhaustive kit list for much longer. 'I will probably stop running the Folding first thing Monday,' said zz9pzza, 'as I am just trying to provoke any more failures. About 26 out of the 168 have an issue of some sort and the supplier will be in at some point to fix them. Each chassis is drawing about 3KW right now (36KW total)'

Damn! 6 million points worth of folding in one weekend! :drop2:

I'd be like, "Dude! Quit hogging all the WU's!! Leave some for me man." :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Miltiades. :)

Our team has now folded [highlight]18 million points[/highlight] worth of work units for the Folding@home project. :golfclap: Well done chaps. Well done!

Also handshakes and cigars to Qui-Gon Glenn for passing surpassing the 3,000,000 points milestone. In consideration of your efforts in support of our team you have now been officially granted...

[align=center]Awesome.jpg[/align]

Awww yeah!!!

• 3 months later...

70c sounds a little high, but perhaps within range. The mobo temp seems solid.

Sweet setup if I read your machine correctly in some other thread! It will be nice to have another client or two up and running for Team LFN!

Fortunately, things are cooling down for the northern hemisphere folk, so perhaps the cool weather will crank up some folding machines again :)

Oh, and congrats team.... we just blew past another milestone not too long ago, surpassing 20,000,000 Points!

Yeah, sorry about the absence SWP.. I keep forgetting to check the Social Groups, hehe. I noticed Q was helping you out in the tech forum, everything running ok now?

Gratz Team! I see were still chugging along. Was checking the radar on Kakao and looks as if we're still gaining ground. sweet! hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there swphreak!!!!!

Fantastic work, you are blasting away! I think it may be mentioned in another thread, but what are you folding with? GPU and SMP, what chip?

I finally have installed the beta client on my i7 860 (1156) / gtx 460 rig. I will be monitoring temps closely, as this is the first time I have put any real stress on the cpu since I built it...

What proggie did you end up using to monitor your temps? SpeedFan? CPUID/GPUID? Spend any money on software or happy with freeware?

I will ask Q about this, but I thought I would put it out here as well.

Hey Char Ell :stick: How's the hardware woes sorting out? You gonna start putting down 20k ppd again :p Our little team stays little, yet stays mighty!

Big kudos to swphreak for a great start, and to our 6 million(+) point man, ChAiNz.2da!!!

Thanks also to everyone that contributes! I have noticed that StarAdmiral has been folding :wavey:

Big congrats to ChAiNz for blasting through 6 mil. I know these ladies are properly impressed by your folding prowess.

[align=center]xfx_stand_small_5.jpg[/align]

FWIW I use NVIDIA's NVMonitor for temp monitoring.

Maybe it's time for me to try the v7 client again. Last time I couldn't get it to work properly with my two graphics cards. But yeah, in response to your question Qui-Gon I should be ramping up some here in the next few weeks or so. High temps here are finally starting to drop below the 90's F. I doubt I'll turn in as much as I did last winter though. I have this little game called Star Wars: The Old Republic that seems to have captured my attention. :D

Ah, the TOR.... :D

Not sure if I will get on that bandwagon or not, but it certainly is interesting. I was impressed that Drew K spent the time to respond to jonathan7's email queries about the Revan novel.

NVMonitor eh? I will check it out, sounds like freeware for an nVidia card user.

Overall, the usage of the beta client is slightly underwhelming. I was expecting significantly more output from my i7 860 using smp, and the overall ppd from the using just the GPU3 client on my gtx 460 to now using the beta with GPU and SMP I have only improved about 3K ppd. I have not tweaked any settings.... but I see other smp users doing close to 15K ppd with similar chips.

Enlightenment for the too tired to google?

EDIT: PS... nice ladies there Char Ell!

My specs are posted here.

I used to run the SMP client at 100%, but it felt like the GPU client wasn't doing so well. So I dropped SMP to about 85%, the GPU client uses about 10%, and I can still use my computer for surfing the net and whatnot.

My PS3 does a lot as well.

As for monitoring my CPU temp, I just use CoreTemp, and it's free.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Sith Holocron for blasting through 10,000pts!!!!!

Your contribution to the team is not lost on me!! I wish that our other team members who still game a lot would at least use the standard cpu client in-between their gaming time... All points are good points, for the team but obviously more specifically for the potential benefit to us all that the project hopes to achieve.

The other day, I was looking at the new client's viewing window. It is now far easier to know what your folding client is actually working on, which brings things a little closer to home. I saw terms that Gregory House would use, and that excited me :D

(nerd +12)

@swphreak - CoreTemp eh? I shall check it out... My main folder, my HTPC, is an absolute brick sh*thouse.... I have built a cool quiet beast, which continues to surprise me that it was that easy to do.

• 3 months later...

A hearty hip-hip-hooray to ChAiNz for surpassing the seven million points mark. :clap2:

[highlight]Achievement Granted: 7,000,000 points[/highlight]

And also a big shout out to Qui-Gon Glenn for blowing past six million points.

[highlight]Achievement Granted: 6,000,000 points[/highlight]

I also recognize Qui-Gon for taking over the #2 spot on our team. Well done my good man. Keep up the great folding!!! :thmbup1:

Now mighty folders, I present you with a gift; these two droids. They will serve you well. :D

girls-dressed-like-r2r2-7.jpg

Holy Smokes Char Ell!!!@.@!!!

Those are the droids I am looking for :devsmoke:

I am proud to be a part of TeamLFN, and being a strong contributor is good enough for me! Thank you though, I have been fortunate to have system stability and relatively cool seasons for the last bit... and not enough time to game on my system to actually use the GPU for the fun I bought it for :p

You also, sir, are to be congratulated for

Achievement Granted: 6,000,000 points

.... and counting!

• 1 month later...

Archived