Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

Suh-weet! Welcome to Team LFN acdcfanbill. :wavey:I don't feel I know you well enough to call you Billy just yet. :p

I find it interesting that my GTS 250 with 128 SP's clocked at 760/1150/1836 MHz gets around 5K ppd while acdcfanbill's GTX 470 with 448 SP's (3.5x more than GTS 250) only gets 2.4x the ppd of my GTS 250. Perchance this could be explained if his GTX 470 is running at the stock clock speed of 607 MHz?

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting and thanks for sharing. So my GTS 250 is clocked 135 MHz faster on the core but 100 MHz slower on the shaders. I was just surprised that your GTX 470 didn't have closer to 3x the folding performance of the GTS 250 and wasn't sure why it didn't. I can only chalk it up to the difference in clock speeds.

Fold on! :rock:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ChAiNz!

Anybody on our team doing SMP folding besides tk102? I just wanted to know if the following bit of news has significance to anyone else besides him. :p

The folks at folding@home have posted a new beta client for SMP folding. Version 6.30 does away with the MPI requirements of its predecessor. According to fah-addict version 6.30 is still in beta due to the possibility of getting a work unit that requires the A1 core. This core still requires MPI so if you don't have MPI installed then the client will crash. Anyway, the new SMP client is available at the bottom of the f@h client download page

Saw this article about folding@home performance for the latest graphics cards on bit-tech.net.

In a nutshell the bit-tech guys determined that the GTX 295 is still the folding performance champion (Astro=:emodanc:) while the GTX 480 is the most power efficient at folding.

Unfortunately the AMD 5-series GPU's still lag way behind NVIDIA's GPU's when it comes to folding@home performance as most of the GTX 2xx cards still outperform AMD's 5-series. I'm not sure if ATI's performance will improve with the Folding@home project's planned move to OpenMM/OpenCL for GPU work units but one can always hope.

• 2 weeks later...

hey chaps. I just wanted to drop a quick line to say thanks for the enjoyable experience that has been folding@teamLFN.

Various circumstances have resulted in my deciding to move on from LFN and this sadly also means techforum and teamLFN. I am of course still contributing to f@h the but under my own name.

It was an honour and pleasure to be involve in such a positive initiative at LFN and I hope you guys keep it up!

I am still linked to team LFN as team contact person for stanford, so in the unlikely event that anything needs to be communicated to stanford, please let me know via email. just add gmail/hotmail suffixes to astrotoy7 and it will get to me ;)

A7 over and out!

mtfbwya

dude. :( Been away and just got caught up. Well as the others have said best of luck to you man. You're one of the most intelligent guys I know and you're going to be missed. Don't be a stranger man, even if you want to lay low.. send a guy a PM once in a few ;)

It's been a real pleasure folding with ya' man.. you will ALWAYS be the founder of TeamLFN. salutes to you.

• 1 month later...

Hello Ulmont and welcome to the team!

If you've got a 9800 GTX+ available for folding then you need to download and install the GPU client from folding@home's client page.

Once you've downloaded the folding client then you can use the directions put together by Astrotoy 7 back in the day. I just reviewed them and they still look fairly accurate. As long as you're running 180 version drivers or higher then you're good to go as far as the folding client is concerned. I just happen to be running 196.21 drivers with my GTS 250, which is really just a slightly improved 9800 GTX+. Please post though if you have any further questions or problems and I'll try to check back here a bit more frequently.

Welcome Ulmont! Glad to have another GPU folder! Is that the Core 216 version?

Hey Team -

I wonder if we couldn't motivate some more folders, or perhaps get more current team members folding more? Even if it is just a standard CPU client running in the background overnite, some folding is better than none folding, and it helps the team score! We are still slowly climbing the team ladder, even though there are fewer and fewer active folders. It is cool that such a small group of us, epecially the top 4 folders, have made such a significant contribution to the project!

I understand that financially times are tough for many people right now, and we are all trying to save money, so if it is an issue of power usage restriction I understand. But for most of us, I would guess, our machines could be idly folding while we are not using them for potentially great good.

Congratulations to ChAiNz for taking the team lead! Sam Dravis, I'm coming for you, so get folding... same to you Miltiades, and hey Astro, where are ye? Fold from a distance if you must, kinsman, but still fold!

EDIT: And what happened, acdcfanbill?! You blew past me like a rocket, and then stopped... was it humility that caused you to spare the others due to the dominance of your card? Who cares brother! Fold away!!

:lol: Well said Qui-Gon. I'm all for encouraging people to join our team and fold proteins as much as they can. :)

With regards to Astro, he has moved on and folds under a different account now. He is sorely missed of course. As for myself, I'll be ramping up my folding efforts in November once the lower electricity rates kick in from my utility company. Would love to see SD and Miltiades crunch some more WU's again. And perhaps acdcfanbill will rise to your challenge? ;)

Sounds good Ulmont. Let us know if you run into any issues when your rig is free to fold some proteins. :)

So some seriously belated acknowledgment :S of ChAiNz for surpassing 2,000,000 points as well as holding the "Most Work Units Completed" title for our team. :king1:

Here is a hearty hip-hip-hooray for the return of acdcfanbill and StarAdmiral. Perhaps the recent activity is a result of Qui Gon Glenn's challenge??? :D And speaking of Qui Gon Glenn, where's the fire man cuz it may as well put itself out with the gushing fire hose you've been using. Fold on brother! :rock:

Kudos also go out to chi7891 and Negative Sun for their continuing contributions. I know Negative Sun wants his folding badge. Only 29 more work units to go! :thumbsup:

And to our SMP stalwart tk102, I hope to be joining you in the SMP folder ranks soon, good sir! :emodanc:

In other folding news for our team, my brand spanking new GTX 460 1GB arrived this week and is now folding away. Fahmon indicates it has an output of around 10K ppd though I'm not folding 24/7 with it.

FWIW I've been impressed with the MSI Twin Frozr coolers. My GTS 250 had one and never went over 66 degrees Celsius while folding. I got the MSI Hawk version of the GTX 460 and so far it hasn't gone over 50 degrees Celsius while folding. All this with an ambient temperature of 24-25.5 degrees Celsius.

Hehehehehe.... whether it was a response to my prodding, or just a general upturn in interest, I am very glad to see more peeps folding! Rock on acdcfanbill, you are once again working it! StarAdmiral I have not seen post in a while, but it is excellent that you are folding again!

Congrats on 2000 pts Negative Sun! Yep, the badge is just around the corner for ye!

chi7891 - Hey old silent friend, wish you would respond to a PM every now and again, but still glad you are letting f@h work in the background.

My GTX 460SC 768mb, if running 24 hours, will produce about 10K/day as your estimate shows. Add a GTS250 and the occasional PS3 work unit, and I am steadily cranking 'em out, thanks for noticing Char Ell.

You will find in general that the 460 is superior in terms of performance to any of the 2xx series cards, speed/temperature/etc.. Once again, thanks to Evil Q for advising me to wait for that card... speaking of Q, I need to get him folding again!

DOH! Rig was done for a few days. Was working on some 3-D work and needed the cycles :xp: PS3 has been doing the grunt work here lately.. hehehe

Everything should be back up now, and like Char-Ell.. thinking about adding a 460 to the family soon ;)

Love my 280, (and more recently my 9800).. but those temperatures are just unacceptable. I'll probably offload that (280) to a machine that's not running 24/7. I'd rather not have to use my fire insurance :lol:

Wow! Didn't realize or possibly had forgotten that Qui-Gon was running a 460. Very nice. I'm really enjoying mine, not only for folding but also because I can comfortably run 1920x1200 resolution on games now. :emodanc: I really wanted to wait for NVIDIA to release a fully enabled GF104 with 384 stream processors but ran out of patience once the GTX 460 price drops took effect for the Radeon 6870/6850 launch.

We're making great progress. With everybody's contributions we're continuing to climb in the team rankings and are projected to overtake the University of Alabama in about 10 days time. Instead of "Roll Tide" it will be "Team LFN rolling over the Tide." :dev11:

Sorry, couldn't help myself, it being college football season and all.

To those of you folding with NVIDIA Fermi-based cards, I added the -advmethods switch to my GTX 460's folding client config and went from a 10K PPD rating to about 13K PPD rating. So if you aren't using that switch and want to bump your PPD up you'll want to give this a go though you may want to keep a close eye on your client for the first few work units, just to make sure it doesn't run into any problems with these "beta" WU's. I'm not sure how long Pande Group will continue to make these WU's available so may as well get them while the getting is good. :nod:

In other personal folding news, I have installed and started using the SMP v6.30 client. Works like a charm and so I'm happy to be following in tk102's SMP folding footsteps. For anybody else interested in SMP folding, Pande Group is offering a Quick Return Bonus once you've completed 10 SMP work units and uploaded them prior to the preferred deadline with your passkey. Full details are in this thread on foldingforum.org. I've only completed 4 SMP WU's thus far so haven't seen the QRB kick in yet but from what I've read the sooner you turn in a completed SMP WU the higher the bonus. So in other words the bonus is scaled based on how quickly you return the completed work unit.

Archived