• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
    • Day of the Tentacle
    • Sam & Max Hit the Road
    • Full Throttle
    • The Dig
    • The Curse of Monkey Island
    • Grim Fandango
    • Escape from Monkey Island

I was utterly entranced by the deep lore of LOOM, and think the game barely scratches the surface of it. I loved all of the oblique and historical references to other guilds in the Book of Patterns that shipped with the game ,and the handful of drafts that were listed but never used. I want to know much more about the First and Second Shadows, and about how the Guild of Weavers learned to weave influence into the LOOM itself. Lots of ideas and concepts were hinted at, but never got to pay off...I've always thought the world would be ripe for a set of limited series comic book/graphic novels. 

Right...was there word of a Double Fine LOOM resurrection? I've spent a fair amount of time poking around the internet for anything about LOOM -- loved Moriarty's post-mortem on it, and I'm aware of the fan sequel that was abandoned fairly well into its development, but never heard anything about Double Fine. 

I don't think Double Fine is interested in further remasters any time soon. Tim has been very vocal about his desire to focus on new ideas after Psychonauts 2 is released because he's done with looking backwards for a while. So we should probably avoid looking to them for any potential Mojo-centric releases for the forseeable future.

ThunderPeel may be thinking of a confusing remark Brian Moriarty made during the Q&A at the end of one of his Loom post-mortems.

(By the way, if you have not seen that presentation, you need to check it out -- Brian traveled with it for a little while there in the 2015 arena, so you will find multiple versions of it online. The one I saw all the way through was the GDC one, and I can't recommend it highly enough.)

At the end of the one he gave at EVA 2015 in Argentina, he was asked how "talks" had gone with any of the game studios he had previously indicated an interest in collaborating with on further Loom projects. Here is what he said. I am dubious of the situation he portrays -- not because I think he is lying, but because he seems to have gotten the information second hand, and it doesn't really jive with anything that has reached public knowledge. This video is already five years old, and neither then nor since has there been a whiff of any other studio but Double Fine obtaining (with Sony's help) licenses to develop projects with LucasArts adventure game IP, and Tim has made it pretty clear that he was only interested in revisiting the titles he himself had a project leader role on. Obviously, I have no privileged information either, but I suspect Brian was never really able to get in touch with the right people except through a level of abstraction, and was relying on whatever came back to him over a game of bureaucratic telephone. So I take whatever information he was fed with a grain of salt. Who really knows though.

When it comes to further remasters, I respect Tim's position but nevertheless wish there was some way he could have exploited the inroads he must have made with Lucasfilm to help the designers of other LEC games do something similar, even if it was outside Double Fine. If Moriarty is keen on doing more Loom you would think Double Fine could have put him in the same room with the people he needed to talk to. But maybe it isn't that easy.

Haha. You're just rehashing your own news articles now, Jason ;)

https://mixnmojo.com/news/Brian-Moriarty-offers-vague-confusing-noises-on-Looms-non-future

If anyone's interested in the mystery of Loom, then the comments on the above post are worth reading. (I've always been intrigued by the fact that Loom featured on Justin Bailey's computer in the Double Fine Adventure documentary, for example.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001