Home

The Monkey Island box set from Limited Run Games

Udvarnoky

8 hours ago, ATMachine said:

Yeah, it looks like they couldn't be bothered to recreate the old Lucasfilm Games logo, so they just slapped the modern Lucasfilm Ltd. logo on the USB drive and painted it purple (which the game title logo in MI1 was, but the LFG logo wasn't).

Oh then I clearly didn't look hard enough at that item. I just assumed that one was correct. I guess I had my attention drawn to the bland poster and dreaming of what could have been. :)

That ultimate insult poster is so ridiculously bad, what did that take a non-artist like 5 seconds to doodle it out (and also somehow think the word 'badass' was in a monkey island game?) It made me spend 5 minutes seeing how much better I could do

insult.png

• Like 7

This post from the Monkey Island subreddit sums up how I'm feeling:

The black boxes / covers - maybe they couldn't make it over to Lucasfilm, but couldn't the staff there look through the archives and do scans for them? If they were licensing the games for this, and could have had access, how much more of a step would it have been to ask, hey... could one of you scan what you've got?

Alternatively, there's the Laserschwert posters, which supposedly were already used by them for the Sega CD release.

Or, as you suggest, commission Steve Purcell and / or Peter Chan and / or Bill Tiller to generate something new.

A real rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, or a 3D printed Guybrush doll would have been so much better than that anime-esque statue which, while technically well sculpted, does not capture Guybrush's innocence or charm, or the vibe of the series.

The posters... don't even get me started. Print Laserschwert's if you really can't get anything else, but the island maps and / or the tri-island area map from MI2 would have been so much better. Or recreate the "Do The Monkey!" treasure map from MI1.

The behind the scenes book - I would LOVE a book with high quality prints of the art from the game, but if they couldn't get to the archives to get any art, then... what's in the book?

I think the criticism for this has gotten slightly out of hand 

There are some disappointing choices but fan expectations might be yo high to meet. 

There is a thread about it on ResetEra

Also, it seems like LRG is back to the drawing board at least with some aspects of the collection:

I think it’s fair to imagine we will some a delay on this (at least in it actually shipping) or even a cancelation 

I dunno, looking at the releases of Star Wars games and the nice posters and art cards they recieved I don't think its TOO unreasonable to expect a $160 package to have at least a better poster than that slapdash Ultimate Insult one. I don't even hate that it's an Escape From monkey Island reference it just looks so RUSHED and careless.

I too mourn the weird troll that is including a fan enraging item called "the Ultimate Insult" in a collectors edition, but I'm sure I'll welcome whatever comes next.

@Laserschwert it sounds like the issue is not that the archival standards are low, but that covid has meant they are basically inaccessible.

While I acknowledge it is an easy stone to throw seeing as it is not coming out of my billfold, I would argue that not having reference quality digitizations of key art assets for legacy titles - which would surely include the packaging designs for the Monkey Island games - after all this time does in fact constitute archival standards due south of ideal. If thirty years isn't long enough to get the MI1 painting scanned in quality superior to a fan source, what pray tell is a sufficient number of decades?

On 8/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jake said:

I bet Spiffy was a dpaint file on Purcell’s PC and never made it anywhere else, beyond being copied to a floppy disk for marketing to put on the box. There’s no evidence of that closeup anywhere else. 

In the light of the stream earlier today this looks eerily prescient. Either that or there might actually something be to this whole Secret Project business and Jake's already seen the MI1 source code. (Insane, I know...)

Edited by ATMachine

I have seen the source because I helped with the material prep for the event today. That’s how I knew there was no evidence of Spiffy in it when I made that post. I couldn’t talk about it yet because the event wasn’t announced.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice, I'm a big fan of the new box, specifically of those marbled borders. If @Laserschwert had anything to do with that cover I hope he can share it here. I kinda like the MI2 concept art cover too. 

I could still do without the shadowbox and the candle holder.

The book looks really nice too, a reference to the CMI manual.

Edit: too bad they raised the price 

Edited by Sopabuena

Yeah, the box is very close to the design I pitched them. The marble borders were not only my idea, but are still using my design as well, as was the idea to use the MI2 concept art. It looks like Disney requested a few changes (the MI anthology logo in my design stuck to the black/gold aesthetic of their original design, but I guess that strayed too far from current MI logos). But I'd say the whole release is a major improvement.

• Like 4