Home

The Monkey Island box set from Limited Run Games

Udvarnoky

Nice one, LS. Lovely design. I wonder if they make take that central image and make it larger and reduce the amount of visible marbling... although I can see why you'd do it the way you have to make it look more about the collector's box, and less about the artwork. Does look nice.

Dammit.

8bfcf33c-3818-11e6-95fd-cac1594420c5.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Furthermore the format of the box somewhat dictated the size and position of the front artwork. It has a removable lid on top, so I needed to stay clear of that seam, plus the artwork didn't allow for much cropping, without restraining the size of the logo too much. The border is a bit narrower on LRG's adjusted version though, plus good call on making the marbling smaller.

• Like 1

I kinda like your proposal more, the blue tint has not been used in the series (while the green one is reminiscent of MI1’s box). The black logo gives it that premium feel too. 

Can you share the marbling pattern? I would love to use it as a wallpaper and as far as I can tell it’s an original creation. 

I won't be sharing any artwork from the release until after pre-orders have closed on it. But come February 2021, I'll fire away 😉

And thanks for noticing what I went for with my design. I basically wanted to introduce a new border pattern that fit the existing boxes, but still felt new.

While the marble pattern in this state is in fact an original design by me, it's heavily based on this pattern I found and used for my first mockup:

https://munroandkerr.co.uk/products/blue-04-marbled-paper-coolie-lampshade

Also the dark-blue/gold of the pattern and the black/gold of the logo were supposed to underline the premium value of the box. But I guess Disney wanted to tie it in more with SoMI's green and the current coloring of the logos via the SE's... marketing be damned.

But I think it must have been a nightmare getting so many different pieces approved, so I'm still happy how it turned out.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also agree, I do like Laserschwert’s version better. In my opinion the yellow-orange logo doesn’t fit so well with the purple/green of the box art, but I understand why the would go for the colourful version from CMI/EMI.

Anyway, overall I think this updated was a great improvement and I will be ordering once the pre-order is open.

This looks great. Laserschwert I’m

glad they used a colored MI logo as opposed to the foil - a colored logo goes better with Purcell’s art in my opinion. But it’s neither here nor there, this all looks nice and I’m sure it’ll look great in print. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jake said:

This looks great. Laserschwert I’m

glad they used a colored MI logo as opposed to the foil - a colored logo goes better with Purcell’s art in my opinion. But it’s neither here nor there, this all looks nice and I’m sure it’ll look great in print. 

Interesting to see a completely different view :) That’s why when I am designing something (not that I am good at it) I tend not to ask too many people as each person will answer something different. You can’t please everyone. However, when it comes to design I would take your word over mine as you are way more experienced on this topic.

When I was younger (20 years ago?) I remember I used to annoy you a lot on ICQ asking about design, but you were quite pacient.

Edited by Blondebeard

Whoa!! What a HUGE improvement on the original!

I never thought I'd want to buy this box. It just seemed like a (really bad) cheap collection, slapped together to make a few bucks of of loyal fans.

But now... thanks to the design changes, the whole thing looks fan-friggin-tastic!

Blast... I was so happy that I didn't want to spend money on that... but now, all bets are off.

Damn you, Laserschwert, and your fantastic graphic design and art restoration skills!

(Kidding, you've done wonderful work!)

Anyone know how close a replica the code wheels will be? They look fake in the mock-up. I still have my MI2 one :)

1 hour ago, Blondebeard said:

When I was younger (20 years ago?) I remember I used to annoy you a lot on ICQ asking about design, but you were quite pacient.

I remember asking Jake an (in hindsight) embarrassingly basic Photoshop question (how do you stop things from sticking to guides). He was very nice in his response, especially considering how basic it must have been to him.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

I’m kinda on the fence about this one. I love the artwork for the box, the art cards and the artbook, I like the Loom button and the pins, but I truly dislike the Guybrush statue and I could do without the Murray candle holder and the other stuff.

The thing that could win me over is the quality of the artbook, but since they said they didn’t have time to access the Lucas (Disney) vault, I’m still a bit sceptical about it.

@Laserschwert, do you maybe know a bit more about it that you’d like to share?

Also, what’s a shadow box?

20 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Hmm. It does make me wonder what could be in the behind the scenes book. 

First and foremost it contains interviews with all the major players... Ron, Tim, Dave, Steve Purcell, Bill Tiller, Dom (at least these are the ones I know about, most likely there's many more). The book is being edited by Jeremy Parish of Retronauts-fame, who also conducted most of the interviews, as far as I know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 3:42 AM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Wow. If it's that involved I'm guessing they'll release the book separately?

I'm hoping for this.

It's $60,00 shipping to ship it to the Netherlands. Since I already have all 5 Monkey Island games originally, the book is the only thing I really, really want from this package, and I'm not spending more than $200,00 on a book.

Any info if they'll release it separately?