Home

The Monkey Island box set from Limited Run Games

Udvarnoky

So people have this thing in their hands, yet LRG still can't confirm what archive builds were included?

On a related note, what's Vegas saying on how long it'll take the contents of that USB stick to be uploaded safe and sound to Archive.org? Not that I would condone such a thing, of course.

47 minutes ago, Thrik said:

In not-so-great news, it seems that the mis-ordered game list on the side has made it into the final shipment.

We might just consider it to be a very rare version, I can already imagine this version being much more valuable than a potential reprint with the fixed order. Well, I'd still re-buy it anyway. Who am I kidding, I'd rebuy it with the same misprint too.

It's Limited Run Games... there's not gonna be a reprint. From the photos I can already tell there are a few more things I'd have fixed beforehand, but due to my communication with LRG I'm fully aware that this was changed in very little time, and I'm happy that they went with a lot of my design proposals (which I've basically just threw at them to make sure they DON'T release their initial black box).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

It's Limited Run Games... there's not gonna be a reprint.

I appreciate this can be ideally true, however money is money. Makes me think of all those rock bands who split because members hated each other's guts and reunited decades later. Pretty sure reprints might become a thing for LRG in the future.

7 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

I appreciate this can be ideally true, however money is money. Makes me think of all those rock bands who split because members hated each other's guts and reunited decades later. Pretty sure reprints might become a thing for LRG in the future.

The problem with that is, they are targeting collectors. If they suddenly reprint something that was sold as a limited product, the backlash would be huge.

My box arrived today! The book is really something, it's basically tons of oral history quotes from the developers, and here and there you can see notes from Ron's notebook. A new thing, at least to me, was a scan of the first story treatment of Monkey 2. I tagged one funny thing as a spoiler:

Spoiler

It seems like LeChuck originally wasn't the villain, but his brother El Carlo. Wild!

I didn't get around to check what versions of the games are on the usb stick, since I'm on a mac.

Also I don't have a floppy disk reader, and am very intrigued what they put on Disk 22.

Edited by Marius

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

The problem with that is, they are targeting collectors. If they suddenly reprint something that was sold as a limited product, the backlash would be huge.

I think the value could be retained if they went the book route and called it a "second edition" that way first editions would still actively be sought after. As it is we will have the usual ebay suspects driving the cost up for the post-sale market (the amount of bs ebay pre-order listings for the anthology shows that at least a chunk went to scalpers). A second/third/etc. edition run scheme for their releases would allow for a planned continuous income from projects. This would both protect the early editions value (which for the most part benefits resellers and short term collectors looking to flip eventually, dedicated collectors are likely to keep unless they manage to get a better copy(ie lower numbering, one of rons notes he said he slipped onto some of the signatures, etc.) so the additional value to them is less of a concern. This also provides oppertunity for those same collectors to expand and snatch up the following editions. Typically things like changes in cover art are common between editions of books so differences like that could help protect the value of each release as well.

I do however completely agree that just making more of the exact same product after the numbered 7000 or so would definitely cheapen the anthology as is and be an affront to those early adopters

I think one easy change to differentiate a second edition is the removal of the Ron signature (which would save our lords wrist and let him go back to making games lol) which would be in line with a lot of collectors editions where there is a short run of signed copies available and then a larger unsigned batch.

• Like 2

I think with most of their games getting different tiers of editions, it might be viable for them to offer a smaller edition as the second run.

Sure, there are people stating that they would have bought the current edition, but missed the pre-order period. However, I think those are in the minority and most potential buyers for this edition got one. On the other hand, many people deemed the current edition too expensive for them and expressed interest mostly in the book, so a smaller edition that puts the book front and center could pull in different customers.

Since I ordered the box set a year ago I have not received a single email from Limited Run Games. Ever.

I logged into their website and it still says my order is "in production" and yet to be shipped. I'm worried that they won't send me anything and I'll have missed my one chance to buy it because of bureaucratic incompetence.

All mails LRG sents me are going straight to the spam folder, so make sure you check in there. "In production" is usually the status up until it switches to "shipped", so just be patient, it'll go through. If it doesn't, you can always contact their support. They always have spares.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1