Home

The archaeological discoveries of the LucasArts projects

Nano

(As usual, Moderators, don't hesitate to correct / translate what I try to write in English !!)

The idea of this topic would be to centralize the latest unpublished discoveries on LucasFilm Games / LucasArts projects.

To start, do you all remember the amazing gems that Aric Wilmunder posted on his website in 2016 ?

It seems that a still significant number of documents of this kind exist. I recently had the opportunity to see a little more, and I am in talks to succeed in scanning and putting online as much information on design documents or projects abandonned by the studio.

As Aric says : " Our ratio was probably about 5-8 designs for every game that got approval "

So, here are already two documents which, I believe (but I could be wrong, don't judge me), are still unknown and concerns "THE PIRATE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND" (We had already the opportunity to see the document that pitches the game).

qciqu6x.png

uF1pxNC.png

• Like 3

I think there will be more stuff in september. Aric is pretty busy for now. But he is motivated to share all of these. And when I caught a glimpse of the boxes full of design docs, I though I had a heart attack...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blondebeard said:

Very cool! Any idea if this was this was an original pitch or the one for the The Curse of Monkey Island and then they later changed the name?

It was !

1 hour ago, ATMachine said:

If I remember rightly, Aric Wilmunder posted the initial design doc for this version (under the same "Pirate Curse" title) on his old site.

That's right. Aric posted the initial document (2nd version) on his website back in the days.

The doc seems to be available for download there Pirate Curse of Monkey Island.pdf

u8tvjSR.png

• Like 2

The idea of getting the wedding registry so you can return the cursed gifts implies that LeChuck and Elaine had time to put together a wedding registry, which means they sat down and discussed the things they'd like to hav to start out their voodoo life together, and that idea makes me laugh out loud. 

Before Wilmunder opened the vault, devotees of the The SCUMM Bar (and who isn't?) enjoyed knowledge of this scrapped storyline for CMI when Jonathan Ackley touched on it in an interview way back in 2003:

How did you come up with the storyline for CMI? Did the ending to Monkey 2 prove a challenge to get around?

First we wrote an incredibly convoluted story about Elaine being turned into a ship's mast-head. You had to change her back before the fiery demon LeChuck burned her down. A lot of great special-effects a la the "Gone With The Wind" burning of Atlanta scene. We also had a number of puzzles involving Guybrush attempting to return the wedding gifts given to LeChuck for the monster's undead wedding to Elaine. It would've been spectacular, but when we looked at it again, we decided the story was somewhat hollow.

We reworked the story until all the puzzles revolved around Guybrush overcoming his own ineptitude and saving the one person who loves him despite his idiocy. The emotional stakes for Guybrush became even higher and the story fell into place. As to the end of Monkey 2 - that's the real curse of Monkey Island.

• Like 1

You may have already seen it. But one of the studio's veterans, Kevin Schmitt, just released three photos of an Outlaws game design document.

RCzuytm.jpg

YwCAaK8.jpg

So far nothing very surprising, but if you look closely at the first photo. You will notice that the document is dated 1995 and that it is a .... adventure game based on the SCUMM engine!

I really hope we will learn more

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ATMachine said:

To be precise, it's a proposal with ideas for BOTH an adventure game and an action game, like with the Last Crusade adventure/action games.

Both in one single game. Maybe some levels in P&C and some others in FPS action game.

1 hour ago, ATMachine said:

Are you sure they weren't two separate proposal ideas? I haven't seen him post on Twitter anything to clarify.

I'm not sure at all. 

I was guessing but indeed we will have to wait for some more info. 

I saw the answer he made on Twitter :

Don't get too excited. It is "adventure" in the general sense. Remember, this was pre-genre label days. It was however, planned to be more open. Centered around a saloon and you got missions from townsfolk

It may not be as exciting as an adventure game, but I still find the use of the SCUMM engine to be quite original.

• 4 weeks later...