Home

Ronzo's new graphic adventure

Rum Rogers

• 6 months later...

It seems they no longer mention pixel art like the first job opening but “2d illustrated”. 

“Terrible Toybox (the creator, developer, and publisher of Thimbleweed Park) is looking for an experienced, versatile full-time full-time background or environment artist to work on an unannounced 2D illustrated point-and-click adventure game.“

I am curious to know if that means they are shifting art style. I would love to see cell shaded style coming out from Ron.

If their animator request is to be taken literally, they’re using Spine, which is not a pixel art tool but is used for a hybrid of 2D animation and tween-style deformation of illustrations. It’s used by Size Five games (the latest Ben & Dan game for example) and can produce output similar to the animation in Broken Age. 

I’ll be clear here that I’ve never used Spine and don’t know all the contexts in which it’s used, but it’s definitely a general purpose 2D animation tool. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Jake said:

If their animator request is to be taken literally, they’re using Spine, which is not a pixel art tool but is used for a hybrid of 2D animation and tween-style deformation of illustrations. It’s used by Size Five games (the latest Ben & Dan game for example) and can produce output similar to the animation in Broken Age. 

I’ll be clear here that I’ve never used Spine and don’t know all the contexts in which it’s used, but it’s definitely a general purpose 2D animation tool. 

Sounds like they changed their mind then. Looking at Spine examples I believe you are absolutely right as the tool would not work well for pixel art.

I am quite happy Ron is now evolving his style instead of relying only on the old Pixel Art. Don’t take me wrong, I did enjoy Thimbleweed Park and I like Pixel Art but it is nice to see Ron trying something different.

Edited by Blondebeard

2 hours ago, Rum Rogers said:

As a matter of fact, all the Humongous games weren't pixel art. I think Ron made an exception with Thimbleweed Park as a nostalgic tribute, but his normal attitude is to embrace innovation imo.

That is true, but I was I referring to proper point and click adventure games. Humongous Entertainment games were made for kids :)

Ron also mentioned several times that if he were to make a new Monkey Island it would be a pixel art game. In addition the unannounced new game was originally intended to be a pixel art game (or so it seems based on the first job opening), hence my comment.

Edited by Blondebeard
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2021 at 4:49 PM, Jake said:

It seems you were absolutely right! I wonder if it was the art director that managed to convince Ron not to do pixel art or if he decided it by himself.

In any case, I am quite happy they decided to go in this direction and not pixel art. Can’t wait to see more!