Home

Sam and Max VR: New Official Game!

Scummbuddy

OK, now having watched the extended trailer a few times... 

Some general thoughts:

It seems you'll be playing as a 3rd party joining the Freelance Police as a cadet recruit. So, not controlling them, but interacting with them.  I think this lends itself well to S+M with their regular breaking of the 4th wall and the (sometimes?) unpredictable nature of how they might interpret your action requests (I'm thinking back to HtR with the dialogue being symbols rather than word-for-word line reads). Plus, why would anyone want to only play as either Sam or Max when you can get to see their buddy-cop interactions.

I'm curious about whether it's going to be a full-length game or rather more of a  mini? Many of the VR games I'm familiar with are more like shorter experiences.

Curious - and maybe it's just my memory - but it sounds like they did get the same voice actor for Sam but Max sounds...different? Thoughts? 

It sounds like David Nowlin and Dave Boat to me, but time away from the roles and a different voice director perhaps cause a slight difference.

I am naturally pleased by the existence of a new Sam & Max title of any sort, and it is especially cool that this one has some Hit the Road folks involved, but I can only work up so much enthusiasm for something I am destined to be unable to play. Looking forward to following along with its developments though.

According to Twitter Mike Stemmle is writing for this, and the voice actors are indeed Nowlin and Boat (it completely slipped my mind that Dave Boat did Max in Poker Night 2). 

I won't be able to play this either, but it's fun that Sam & Max are still doing their thing. There's a bit in the longer trailer where the player throws Max at a dart board, which I liked.

I agree with whats been said, a new Sam and Max game is great but I wonder how many people will actually play it. The market for VR games cant be that big surely?

Like Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin its going to be one of those games that I would love but cant play.

4 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

I agree with whats been said, a new Sam and Max game is great but I wonder how many people will actually play it. The market for VR games cant be that big surely?

Like Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin its going to be one of those games that I would love but cant play.

I think the VR market is ever expanding, especially as more systems are released and prices decrease for the hardware.

A friend who has an HTC Vive had over 200 games for it last time I saw him (sometime last summer).  And I know the PSVR received a lot of praise at one point.  

But I find it really interesting that within this thread there's already 4 of us that won't be playing this release because it's VR. I don't know about you lot but for me it's more of a medical reason rather than access to a system. While this may alienate some die-hard fans (like us), it might open up the series to a new audience. With fewer VR options maybe more people will try the S+M release just to get another game for their system? 

Edited by FaNaTiC

I don't have access to VR at the moment, but I suppose it'll only be a matter of time (years), before it really becomes a must-have and very affordable thing. Considering this is a forum for games largely made in the 1990s, I'm sure that time will come around before we know it :) 

And maybe they'll find a way to make these games playable for those with conditions that prevent them from playing VR, too.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While a new Sam and Max game is always welcome, the trailers and footage haven't impressed me yet.

I love the way Sam looks, but I'm not to sure about Max's design (how could they make the edges of his mouth so pointy?), his eyes are great though, more Purcell-y than the Telltale design.

All in all it still looks like really basic VR gameplay, and the jokes don't really impress me yet either.

I am however curious to see how they'll treat this, considering we've mainly seen the office, street and a training mission.

Does anyone know why William Kasten stopped voicing Max? The new guy is pretty good, I'm just curious to why they decided to recast (I know it's the same voice from Poker Night at the Inventory 2).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Will this have VR Freelance Police-Force Feedback? Wait, no, that's terrible.

What spawned the idea of combining Sam & Max with this VR game? Not that I'm complaining... the world needs more Sam & Max.

I need more time to prepare questions!

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know why, but I’m just not feeling it yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that Happy Giant is giving our Freelance Police duo some love and they’ll probably give it all they’ve got, but there’s something that, for me, doesn’t click.

I don’t know if it’s because it’s a VR game (I own a Playstation VR set and every game I’ve played so far is fun, but kinda gimmicky, low budget and not very well optimised), or if it’s the graphics and the character designs.

The only thing I can honestly say is that I still don’t like pointy mouth edges Max. I’m not crazy about the dancing like Pennywise bit either.

I’ll probably buy it either way, even if it’s just to show some support for the developer.