Home

Sam and Max VR: New Official Game!

Scummbuddy

Wow! It's nice to see so much more media is released! I'm looking forward to that 'maybe' Steve Purcell cover art, if they pull that off, I'm definitely getting a physical copy!

The interview is also a nice read, their enthusiasm really shines through in it. Thanks, Jason!

The only thing I'm kinda bummed about, is that us PS VR owners will need to wait 'till 2022... 😩

It's a testament to how much of a Sam & Max nut I am that I seriously investigated obtaining a refurbished Oculus just to play this one game. Then I found out you have to log in to a Facebook profile to use it, and that was the end of that. I'm starting to remember why I largely stopped playing new games many years ago. I find the enrollment aspect instantly exhausting.

Anybody care to give a crabby old bastard the rundown on the other VR options and what they feel entitled to beyond a $999 investment?

Like I said, i'm a PS VR owner. I actually got one the moment it was released, because it's been my dream to game in VR ever since i saw it in Sam and Max Hit the Road.

So far, I'm not really excited by it. The best games I played with it are more or less tech demo's you can finish in 1,5 hours (Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is great though!), or too scary for me to play in VR (Resident Evil 7, anyone?)

I've since lost my interest in VR gaming a little, although I'm definitely gonna give Sam and Max a chance. The PS VR is however a bit obsolete by now, since it has a pretty low resolution and some muddy looking visuals. Bet it's the cheapest option though, especially if you've already got a PS4.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, Udvarnoky said:

It's a testament to how much of a Sam & Max nut I am that I seriously investigated obtaining a refurbished Oculus just to play this one game. Then I found out you have to log in to a Facebook profile to use it, and that was the end of that. I'm starting to remember why I largely stopped playing new games many years ago. I find the enrollment aspect instantly exhausting.

Anybody care to give a crabby old bastard the rundown on the other VR options and what they feel entitled to beyond a $999 investment?

You could just set up a Facebook account that you don't use for anything other than Facebook login 🤷‍♂️

• 3 months later...

While we wait for Mojo's review (courtesy of ThunderPeel), I'm curious if anybody else got a chance to play this yet. I'm sure those of us without one of those extortionate Facebook helmets would be interested in local impressions.

I just wrote under the news post on Mojo, but while I bought the game on the Oculus store I did notice that it only mentioned to use the Oculus Quest headsets and no mention of the Oculus Rift specifically. I only have the Rift and it won't be out of storage and hooked up at my place for at least a month. So I don't even know if I can even play the game I just bought.

I don't believe it supports Rift (or Rift S). (And Psychonauts Rhombus of Ruin doesn't support Quest II -- so annoyingly I can't play it, although I believe DF/@Spaff are looking into it.) The whole VR space needs some unification really.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, what does everybody think about Steve Purcell's cover drawing?

I like it, because I just love Steve's drawing style! I also like that he kept to the more classic Sam and Max designs, not the more wacky drawings he made in later years.

It is, however, very clear that he does not have the time or budget to make a detailed cover like Hit the Road anymore. (Or God forbid, Monkey Island 2.)

I would love to one day have him return to that technique and style, but for now, I'm happy with every little piece of Sam and Max art we get.

I would say this painting is more along the lines of his Telltale artworks in terms of detail. He pretty much ditched the colored outlines for those as well, plus HTR mostly shows the acrylics (or oils?) and less of the pencil work, whereas the VR and Telltale artworks prominently feature the pencil line work.

Edited by Laserschwert

I like it. There's something in the mood of the piece that instantly evokes classic Sam & Max to me. Also, there seems to be a greater emphasis on the character's toes this time around, which I find cute. 💜🐾

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Man... i really do hope they release a non vr version of the game.

I'm a huge Sam and Max fan but i cant afford to spend £300 on a vr set for a 3 hour game.

Especially with my first child on the way. Money is going to be tight.

Edited by Toymafia1988

Ooh, I like the look of that Sam & Max VR big box!  I actually already have Sam & Max This Time It's Virtual digitally for PlayStation 4 but I haven't played it yet because all of my cables for my PSVR headset are scattered around.

That big box looks awesome, but with Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space coming out on Limited Run this month too I don't know if I can afford to buy all of this awesomeness.

Sam & Max VR is a four-week pre-order though, which will bring it into June before it closes.  I might be able to squeeze my bankbook a bit to get both.

I'm mad I missed out on the Monkey Island Anthology (which is listed on eBay for $500 or more), so I really don't want to feel the same way about these.