Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

Cool!, since you posted these a few years ago I always wanted a poster of the Kyrandia book 3 art and the Purcell version of Tales of MI but it never happened, so a few months ago I tried my best to make them myself using multiple images from the internet, I upscaled those and patched the best parts together and ended up painting quite a bit.

I tried to keep them as close to the originals though they are not perfect.
I also made the same for Alone in the Dark.
Here they are if you guys want to check them out. (hope you guys like these).

_Tales-of-MonkeyIsland_p.jpg    Tales of MI File

_LoK3_p.jpg     Kyrandia 3 File

_Alone_in_the_Dark_1_poster_B_P.jpg_Alone_in_the_Dark_1_poster_p.jpg
Alone in the Dark (with Title)
Alone in the Dark (clean)

_Alone_in_the_Dark_2_poster_B_p.jpg_Alone_in_the_Dark_2_poster_p.jpg
Alone in the Dark 2 (with Title)
Alone in the Dark 2 (clean)

_Alone_in_the_Dark_3_poster_B_p.jpg_Alone_in_the_Dark_3_poster_p.jpg
Alone in the Dark 3 (with Title)
Alone in the Dark 3 (clean)

Edited by GFX
missing text
  • Like 5

Yeah, those Alone in the Dark artworks are so great, love them! Your restorations are a bit on the soft side, but from the material I've found myself so far, there is not terribly more detail available in box-sized or magazine-sized scans (apart from working from 600dpi scans myself, but you already went through a lot of retouching work!). I'll happily add them to the thread! But: Do you by any chance have versions of your restorations BEFORE upscaling them? I'd like to give that a shot myself. Also I'd like to adjust the colors just a bit... I think the original artworks were supposed to be slightly darker (at least 3 appears to be too bright).

The other two unfortunately aren't cutting it quality-wise. I was planning on doing Kyrandia myself, sooner or later, and I think I remember having a full scan of the ToMI artwork somewhere. I'll check. Edit: Nope, can't find it anymore. Maybe I'll do scans myself.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1

The colors on the AITD 3 image was a version used on the Spanish magazine "ok PC", I was more familiar with that one since I had the Magazine back then and those colors stuck on my mind. I sent you the raw file I found of it which was the base I used to make it. :)

For Kyrandia 3 and Tales of MI it would be great if you have a proper source, I had to paint a lot on those and even though I tried to keep it as close to the original art it might have still ended up being a fanart of sorts. I also didn't paint on a few parts like the background which had a texture to it I couldn't remove or refine or the trees in the k3 one which still bother me (though I'm kind of proud for the bottom part which I had to fill almost completely :) ).

I know they are not great but at least it's better than nothing :D .

Regarding MI2 "The One" - posters...

- These were freebies given w/ The One (Amiga) Magazine, upon the release.

- They were double-sided, as you can tell from the shitty photos.

- They measure 55 X 63 CM

- Looked really cool on bedroom closet door, attached with Blu-Tack... Stashed mine in MI2 - Amiga box. Fits perfectly.

20201022_215250.jpg

20201022_215313.jpg

20201022_215352.jpg

20201022_215402.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

OFF TOPIC - fun facts...

Price sticker says... 250,-

That´s 250 FIM - finnish maks, now obsolete currency.

Adjusted to today... 63,67€

I had to replace disks 7 & 9, IIRC. Due to R/W error.

Other than that. Everything went smootly... On a 500, 1 meg, one external drive... 11 disks to swap.

Those were the days!

16 minutes ago, Jake said:

@m1ckey holy crap! Even in that beat up state, that poster is an incredible thing to see. I haven't ever seen such detailed shots of the LeChuck's Revenge box. Any chance you can get that scanned at high resolution?

The posters were folded from the get-go. Not stapled, but loose.

These Amiga mags often/always included coverdisks, they came in plastic bags.

56 minutes ago, Jake said:

@m1ckey holy crap! Even in that beat up state, that poster is an incredible thing to see. I haven't ever seen such detailed shots of the LeChuck's Revenge box. Any chance you can get that scanned at high resolution?

Sure, once I get back to the work(place)!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jake said:

Ah yeah sorry I wasn't blaming YOU for the folds. Just blaming the poster itself for only being released in folded form.

COOL!

IF you could find one of these un-folded, THAT would impress me...

Yes, I think the magazine poster I've used for my current version (while being  the highest quality source I had) is an early version of the painting, which differs from the final box art in a few more places. Just compare some parts of the ship and the ropes, which got a few additional highlights and details painted in for the final box art:

eCR7aUe.jpg

Of course this might also stem from different scanning or photography settings used back then. But if I should get a chance to work with the "The One" poster, I'll revise this anyway. Unfortunately @m1ckey hasn't replied to my requests yet.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 001 said:

Does anyone has the posters / wallpapers of SOMI SE that Parabolee  photoshopped with the "surprised" Guybrush face? 

This is the only one I found on my drives. Is it this one?

thumb20201026202247.jpg

Even though they aren't great, I'll add the Special Edition posters eventually, just for completeness' sake.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Did everyone notice that the VGHF had a higher resolution version of the Monkey 1 poster as their video background?

monkey_compare.jpg

Frank has made a scan of the official poster (the one Jake has as well). Currently it will most likely be used by Limited Run Games, so we are not sharing it just yet.

• Like 4