Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

My pleasure! I always thought that artwork would be lost to time, as I've only ever seen it used on the back of the box, covered with text and screenshots and on those tiny auction photos. So finding out that it was used on the Korean manual, got me thrilled to find somebody who could scan it for me. And when I finally found someone AND it turned out that the art was also used on the Taiwanese manual AND that someone was able to scan both for me, I was beyond excited.

• Like 5

Scans of almost every issue of Lucasarts' magazine The Adventurer: https://archive.org/details/lucasarts-the-adventurer--magazine-complete

This probably isn't incredibly useful, but the reason I'm posting it here is that I realised that the cover of issue 8 is the source for that big Ben Throttle cutout that was talked about earlier. Personally I far prefer this cover image to the one used for the actual game packaging - I'd legit print and frame it if a cleaned up version was available.

This also solves who the artist was - Peter Chan! I replied to Tim's Twitter thread about it to let him know, not sure if he'll ever see it though...

(Issue 6 was the one that a friend brought back for me from a trip to America - I was very excited to see behind the scenes DOTT stuff and a Sam & Max comic - Surfin' The Highway hadn't reached my local comic shop yet!)

Edited by TimeGentleman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This reminds me that years ago I once attempted to scan all of the Adventurers myself, but with a scan-bed that was not large enough to handle the full-covers and the results were a hundred scans that needed to be properly stitched together and those edges were just a smear due to the pages lifting up at those folds. That effort was futile yet I doubt I ever deleted those scans.

This is nicer. :)

Excellent contribution, The Adventurer is the magazine that reminds me of those moments of glory from LUCASARTS, you only need N ° 14.

And the question that was never resolved, which was THE ADVENTURER 13, was it never released?
If anyone knows the story, share it.
regards

Adventurer14.jpg

On 2/6/2021 at 2:06 PM, TimeGentleman said:

Scans of almost every issue of Lucasarts' magazine The Adventurer: https://archive.org/details/lucasarts-the-adventurer--magazine-complete

This probably isn't incredibly useful, but the reason I'm posting it here is that I realised that the cover of issue 8 is the source for that big Ben Throttle cutout that was talked about earlier. Personally I far prefer this cover image to the one used for the actual game packaging - I'd legit print and frame it if a cleaned up version was available.

This also solves who the artist was - Peter Chan! I replied to Tim's Twitter thread about it to let him know, not sure if he'll ever see it though...

(Issue 6 was the one that a friend brought back for me from a trip to America - I was very excited to see behind the scenes DOTT stuff and a Sam & Max comic - Surfin' The Highway hadn't reached my local comic shop yet!)

Really, really great work! Many thanks for that, also the high quality. I really enjoyed it!

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to call out here that not only has @Laserschwert brought about these wonderful posters for the Mojo and other video game communities, but he was also a part in the restoration and creation of the Star Wars Despecialized editions with Pete Harmy, and was given a call out on this recent video.

Thank you Laserschwert for all that you do.

• Like 1

To be fair, helping Harmy out was just a small side effect of localizing his Despecialized Editions into German. I think I've only contributed a handful of restored shots, all of which have now become obsolete with the releases of 4k77/4k80/4k83 and their offsprings anyway. I put much more work into re-creating the German crawls, subtitles and credits, plus editing multiple audio tracks from the different German releases (although I had a lot of help on that), and creating cover/labels/inserts to make them look nice on the shelf. Here are my original release threads, which I've moved on from a long time ago, even though people are still asking for download links:

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Krieg-der-Sterne-Despecialized-Edition-2-7-German-Released/id/15914

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Das-Imperium-schlagt-zuruck-Despecialized-Edition-2-1-German-Released/id/47944

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Die-Ruckkehr-der-Jedi-Ritter-Despecialized-Edition-2-5-German-Released/id/48573

And to bring this back on-topic, a more important side gig for me was Telltale Games allowing me to create the cover artwork for "Back to the Future: The Game" (which I should add to the thread eventually):

vFU2ocr.jpg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome thread! I specially signed up to the forum for this one. I'm a HUGE LucasFilm Games / LucasArts fan. But I see that the game that started it all for me is still missing: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I do have the original box / manual / hintbook ... in great condition. If I can help out be sending over high res scans of the artwork, to get it adapted in such wonderfull posters, please let me know!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TomVDJ said:

I do have the original box / manual / hintbook ... in great condition. If I can help out be sending over high res scans of the artwork, to get it adapted in such wonderfull posters, please let me know!

Scans are always helpful, thanks a lot! I already have a few scans, but it's never enough. I also have high-res versions of the original promo photos used for the covers of both the adventure and the action game, but everything else I'll have to take from the boxes. So please, go ahead and scan away! As always, 600dpi, no filtering, please.

By the way, the problem with this "poster" is that the logo placement forces the inclusion of the marbled border. Until now, I've shied away from including the borders - and apart from Fate of Atlantis (which came with its own, artwork-appropriate frame) none of the other artworks "required" their respective frame to work. However, lately I've grown more fond of those marbled patterns, so ultimately I'd like to add versions of all the posters with their frames intact. Easier said than done though, as those frames on the edges of the boxes are hard to scan.

By the way, your name reads familiar, but I can't remember where I've read it before.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally got around to update the CoMI posters using some of my better upscaling methods, which keeps much more of Bill Tiller's Larry Ahern's original pencil detail. The links are updated in the opening post. A few comparisons:

wSMRIR1.jpg

UB1GV8v.jpg

d7LxTFb.jpg

I2MMlXW.jpg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic! The difference is night and day!

Sometimes I just look at all the posters and zoom in, just to see the detail. I noticed the ‘unnatural’ smoothness of the CMI poster just the other week, and lo and behold, we’re already presented with an update!

It’s so great of you to keep updating these, Laserschwert. A real passion project for a passionate community! Thanks!

I took out my Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade box, but noticed that the manual and hint book were in black and white. So I'm afraid only a scan of the box would be helpfull. This box is different from most other LucasArts games, since it is not really drawn artwork, but a picture of Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. That original picture can be found here: https://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/Zjk7MDA_/5af3d9423dda6a51774fbeaa4163d986.jpg

Anyway, this is the scan of the box (600 dpi, no filtering applied, saved in max quality jpg).

Indy - Box.jpg

• Like 3