Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

Nope. I guess this is too much of a legal gray area for them to care - after all, I can't claim any copyright on these. And Tim hating my guts over these posters probably doesn't help either. This makes it all the more amazing how fair and gratefully Limited Run Games handled the situation.

I remember that whole debacle, him not being happy his name was removed and all. Fun times.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:14 PM, Scummbuddy said:

I'm quite curious as to where that title-less image of Zak even came from and if it wasn't just some fan-creation.

That particular image comes from a website that did an interview with David Fox back around 2008. That’s the earliest I could find it. It does seem to match up quite closely with the hint book artwork which reveals more of the area below the logo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ATMcashpoint said:

I should mention that I have a copy of LOOM FM Towns with the original box and manuals, @Laserschwert, if you want scans of those and don't have them already. In fact, as I recall I think I sent you scans of them years and years ago, but if you need new scans, just let me know.

Yes, I still have your scans. I'll be working on that poster somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

Currently, I'm looking for more pieces of the Zak artwork. Most magazines ran all the same adverts, or used the same material provided to the press, and most of the time they were either cropped or too small to be of much use. Newer uses of the art (for digital releases or retro gaming articles, for example) usually just retouched the art themselves (many times using my poster as a basis), more or less successfully:

Z3MK8aj.jpeg

One of the more obscure versions was sent to me by @sanguinehearts, from the cover of the Australian magazine "Eagle and Wildcat":

XudKI25.jpeg

That was very helpful to remove a lot of the text at the bottom:

XjNiXJZ.jpeg

Clearly this needs more work to blend better and match the detail from the box-scan, but it's already much better than the low-res manual I used for that on my old version.

I could still use a good scan of the KIXX box, but as I understand, it's very difficult to scan it completely flat (and thus in-focus). All scans I have of this are blurry.

6IUPtOB.jpeg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rum Rogers said:

What in the world is that "Eagle and Wildcat" version?! Fascinating yet terrifying stuff.

Eagle and Wildcat was a comic sold in the UK. This particular cover is a mashup of Zak with a character in their comics called the Computer Warrior. It was about a boy whose friend had been kidnapped by an evil computer villain and trapped inside various video games.

They did a Zak McKracken comic and a Fractalus one. It swayed very far from the source media and this cover artwork is probably as close as it gets to being anything to do with Zak. 

Both of these comics spanned across multiple issues and can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FEH3ZcTdV6IKPOqQqh32AoPn5nWrhiC9?usp=sharing

Edited by sanguinehearts
  • Thanks 2

Progress on cleaning up this one:

HNeyRme.jpeg

S1qEgFE.jpeg

Although the ships appear in full on the box, it looks like they've been extended after the fact. Especially, the YT-1300's extension doesn't match the style of the painting. And the speeder bike nose fin seems to be a distorted copy of the other one, at least partially. Either way, I'll probably make an extended version as an option.

5Wa0FyZ.jpeg

The original painting does show a bit more of the ships, though:

Cm7ylAn.jpeg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Thanks 1

I have copies of some of the sell sheets for Rebel Assault II and Jedi Knight. The former might prove useful as another reference for the box art, while the sell sheet I have for the latter features the early "Dark Forces"-style logo and the early landscape-orientation box art painting by Peter Chan of Kyle with a blue lightsaber fighting Jerec.

5 minutes ago, ATMcashpoint said:

I have copies of some of the sell sheets for Rebel Assault II and Jedi Knight. The former might prove useful as another reference for the box art, while the sell sheet I have for the latter features the early "Dark Forces"-style logo and the early landscape-orientation box art painting by Peter Chan of Kyle with a blue lightsaber fighting Jerec.

Sounds great, I'll happily take scans of both!

And regarding the Zak image: if the game's regular manuals and hint book (of which I already have scans) are any indication, that B/W version is most likely printed at a very low resolution. But we can't be sure until we get a proper scan. It might still provide some material for the clutter at the bottom.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1