Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

As a quick test I took the 1977 map (which had the best quality at Archive.org), cleaned it up and color-matched it to the back of the game's manual:

xNsrU07.jpeg

We should get an even better results as soon as we can work with uncompressed high-resolution scans.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 5

Ha!, you know I like a challenge, <goes and gets IFOA box & engage googlefu>  ...and <15mins later

yeah think I've found the Indy Map. 😁

I'd says it's "The Coasts and Islands of the Aegean Sea" by Cartographer William Hughes c1867. Engraved by G.E Sherman

From the Book "An Atlas of Classical Geography constructed by William Hughes and edited by George Long"

IndyMap.jpg

Links Previously Sold Item, but not bad scan

and one on abebooks by the looks here

Edited by Crumb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

15 hours ago, sanguinehearts said:

There's a larger area visible in this advert which might make it easier to track down. 

1551615963-1188772012.jpg

Map_stitch.jpg

I quickly stitched this together from the Geographicus link above. The Indy map is clearly from the same engraving, there could be lots of different variations of hand coloured prints though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Yeah, it might get a bit tricky to get rid of the red coastlines.

I think with a careful use of HSL adjustment on the Reds & Magenta it can be greatly improved.

super quick example attached, it can probably be improved with time, but way better than just greyscale conversion.

Map_stitch_red.jpg

Also I wonder if you end up with an original hardcopy, scanning it through a red transparency then converting the image to mono might well work too.

This is the book it is from

https://archive.org/details/atlasofclassical00hugh  Page 97

Edited by Crumb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's some serious Google-Fu!

Did you manipulate the RED channel to remove the coastal lines? That's what I would have tried.

Yes that's right. I used a Hue Saturation Lightness (HSL) on the Red and Magenta Channels for that.

I suppose what we don't know is who coloured the map for the box & manual art. Was it already on an engraving print or did they add it when producing the packaging. It's also probable new copper plates were engraved over many years of editions of the book, as they wore out.

• Like 1

A bunch of scans of this book (and the map) are available online for free at several university libraries. This one seems to be the best one (at #116): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t2r500b87

x2eTas1.jpeg

But they are all not great, so I'd rather scan it myself. Reprints of the book aren't that expensive, so I guess I'll get one of those and hope the print quality doesn't suck.

Edited by Laserschwert

I had a few mins so thought I'd have another look.

I've found a different impression, this one without the red. some subtle blue around the islands.

https://www.hipkiss.org/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?id=653

apparently 1200 dpi is available

EDIT scratch that: it's slightly different -it doesn't have the concentric lines around the islands :(

Interestingly though this one is Engraved by Hughes himself, and doesn't have the concentrics, the G.E.Sherman one might be a later re-engraving?

Edited by Crumb
  • Like 2

If I remember correctly, the German releases always had the sturdy, fully glued two-part boxes, wrapped in the artwork:

U7hp8cf.png

Whereas the US releases had the folded boxes, with the folds on the upper and lower edges (this one is my custom box from pack.ly though, and they are printing directly on the cardboard and provide the boxes ready to fold):

h10XrHP.jpeg

And then there's the wobbly one-part flap-top boxes, which got used even on German releases (Grim Fandango and a bunch of Star Wars games) :

Tejwvuu.png

• Like 4

On 5/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Laserschwert said:

Alright, I bought a paperback version of the book for 13 bucks... we'll see.

The book arrived today and it is utter crap. It is LITERALLY a printed version of a shitty archive.org scan. Money down the drain.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3