Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

4 hours ago, Jake said:

1990 has no 88 on it which is baffling. I have a handful of years and none is a perfect match. But I’ll scan this one in. 

image.jpg

The fact that you guys got THIS close already is huge!! I STILL can't believe it!! I don't think anyone would see the difference if there are missing roads. 

Unless the graphic designer who worked on the original box comes out and reveals this map's secrets to the world, this might be as close as one can get. 

• Like 1

Yeah it’s stapled, which is convenient. The original cover was done with a scan of this book so hopefully it will do without having to vectorize. Sounds like a gross task! But maybe you like that sort of thing. 👀

They also might have blurred it deliberately. Maybe that’s wishful thinking :) but it does look like it might have been intentionally abstracted so it didn’t conflict with the things overlaid on top of it. 

Okay I've scanned in the relevant page of the most accurate one I could get ahold of, which is still not perfect but its pretty dang close. 1990:

map2.jpgmap1.jpg

Update: The 1993 map is actually probably correct? The printing makes it look like there's some subtle differences in line weight, but I dont think there actually are - it really is just the result of the ink going on a little heavier and the color matching being different. 1993:

93_map2.jpg93_map1.jpg

(It's not perfectly correct; the red index numbers above the roads don't line up with the HTR box, but seems to have more of the right roads.)

I've uploaded them: Scans of the left and right sides of the 1990 and 1993 map can be found here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, conemy said:

Taking up the theme of the lucasarts posters What do you think of the work of Greg Winters.

I find it shocking.

Ive always liked how clean it is. The Rebel Assault box with the iridescent effects is one of my favorite Star Wars boxes.

Jake you are a HERO!!! I bow, I bow!! 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

Plus like, it's not that big of a deal that it's not exact since the map isn't the center of attention of the box but rather here for background noise more than anything. Having something that is 99% similar is way more than enough for the purpose that they will serve!

11 hours ago, Jake said:

the red index numbers above the roads

Those are actually distance markers (in miles). So they usually change when a road gets an extension (or a reroute), or new roads get added (since these mark the distances between the "red dots" on the map, which are usually placed at intersections).

Also, thanks a LOT for the hassle to get to those scans. I'll clean this up nicely.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 2

Here's the FOA map (1200 dpi versions can be found HERE) :

2ylSwy7.jpg

ti0JdVY.png

Once I've cleaned it up properly (removing the centerfold and any dirt and damage), I'll add several versions of it to the main post.

Again, thanks to everybody who donated!

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Looks a really nice and clean copy. No tears and minimal folds :)

I've been thinking about the box art version, and the processing it went through in its production.

I find it very reminiscent of (90s) photocopier enlargement processes. I wonder if they used a print from a halftone reprint and photocopier enlarged it?

hw7xZHC.jpeg

Also, not that it matters and is super subtle, I have noticed a difference in place names from the new scan and the box art. In the bottom right, Rhodes (~36 Lat,28 Long), on the box art has a label Lovelle that is not on the engraving. But that does mean there are revisions out there, and that might also mean other variations of hand colouring.

2 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

There's also this on the manual. Is it EAKEN? Has Bill Eaken colored that map?

2w8ZYR8.png

oh!, yes where that appears on the box is quite cool (top of the left hand spine!). That's totally been added, it's a different style of writing. I think you've nailed it.