Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge

Laserschwert

8 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

Ooooh, true, true. I was assuming that if they'd ganked somebody's art, they probably weren't clearing it with LucasArts, but I suppose they could totally do both.

FWIW, IANAL, but I suspect Laserschwert would have options. Just because you don't have the rights to profit off your work, I'm not sure that means somebody who holds the rights does. Prolly more trouble/expense than it's worth for anything more than a shame campaign, tho.

Also I could be completely talking out my ass.

Craig has already confirmed to me that it's not licensed merch, but going after them is like decapitating Hydras.

I'm still in contact with them though, and they are still trying to come up with proof of their Mobygames-based source (which isn't possible). Best quote from them:

Either way, if you believe this has happened, how can we make this right for you?

Surely the words of an innocent man.

• Wow 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, BillyCheers said:

Hey there, as far as I know, there's no logo free version of the MI2:SE cover.

I did some curde compositing for my soundtrack cover with the material I had. It's very far from perfect (som blur here and there etc.) but for me it worked with a logo. Maybe it's enough for you too.

I was actually looking at yours and figured it had to exist if you were able to make your album cover. It's really well done I can't really tell that you've basically erased the logo.

2 hours ago, coasternd said:

I was actually looking at yours and figured it had to exist if you were able to make your album cover. It's really well done I can't really tell that you've basically erased the logo.

Thanks! I really wouldn’t advise to use it without any logo though.

A good example are the sails. Some start very sharp at the bottom and get totally blurry suddenly, because of the  different picture quality of the material I found. And some of the ropes disappear in midair…🙃

Then in the sky I just put in some clouds of a CMI background as a filler. I think it works quite well, but depending on the use one had to really put more work in this (which I was too lazy at some point, tbh 😅).

But as I said: with a logo on and for digital use it’s totally fine, I think. 

Edited by BillyCheers
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 4:01 PM, GFX said:

I've been actively looking for the original author of these 3 illustrations for Alone in the Dark for several weeks now... But I can't find it. Does anyone know anything by chance?

• Like 1

I wonder if these were made by three different illustrators because there seems to be a different signature on every poster.

In the AitD 1 Poster, on the lower left side, there seems to be the name Eagle, but I am not entierly sure. That name doesn't show up in the manual.

In the AitD 2 Poster, the name CALL can be seen below the steps on the right.

In the game's manual, you can find the name Greg Call under "Special Thanks".

And the AitD 3 Poster: I'm not sure if that is a signature or my brain is misinterpreting something, but below the right boot of Carnby, there seem to be the letters GB engraved on the floor. Sadly I can't find the full name in the manual.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Marius said:

I wonder if these were made by three different illustrators because there seems to be a different signature on every poster.

In the AitD 1 Poster, on the lower left side, there seems to be the name Eagle, but I am not entierly sure. That name doesn't show up in the manual.

In the AitD 2 Poster, the name CALL can be seen below the steps on the right.

In the game's manual, you can find the name Greg Call under "Special Thanks".

And the AitD 3 Poster: I'm not sure if that is a signature or my brain is misinterpreting something, but below the right boot of Carnby, there seem to be the letters GB engraved on the floor. Sadly I can't find the full name in the manual.

Marius.

Indeed, here is the results after a short investigation (on twitter :)): 

AITD 1 : Bruce Eagle

AITD 2 : Greg Call

AITD 3 : Still not sure...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

xX7Rftn.jpeg

While I've been planning to give Peter Chan's Star Wars DOTT artwork a make-over at some point, LRG's announcement of DOTT Remastered somehow put this on the fast lane. I wasn't really convinced by the poster they decided to include, so I got down to business, planning to offer them a new print-ready version of the art as an option. How could they say no to that? Well, while LRG seemed to be interested, Disney ultimately wasn't. So, here's the result of this effort, adding a much-needed improvement over my old version, both in terms of colors and detail. No more artficial brush strokes and oversharpened edges to suggest detail. I even separated the color channels of the scan to fix the severe alignment issues the Adventurer print suffered from, removing the color fringes and blurry edges caused by that.

A few comparisons (at 70% size, enough to show the differences):

FCTQYFb.jpeg

VlFDknl.jpeg

RJ6LY8v.jpeg

USz7Tkl.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Chef's Kiss 5

I love that poster! I had your previous version printed 2 meters tall and hung it in my office when I was working as a desktop publisher. That was more then 10 years ago… My boss never gave it back when I quit (honestly he printed it for me, so it was technically his), so it might still be hanging there today!

Thank you so much for your continued work!

• Like 3

On 8/11/2022 at 5:35 PM, kalgon said:

Does somebody know of similar artwork restoration initiatives but for non LucasArts games like Prince of Persia, Sierra classics, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc. ?

I have tried my hand at making a few for myself though they are not great since I rely on whatever I find over the internet which is not that good, so far I made the three Alone in the Dark and Kyrandia 3 but they are far from perfect (though they look great on print ;P).

I also recently made a small amount of posters from some of the old SSI and D&D games I found the art of at a really nice quality so I made them for the Eye of the Beholder 1-3 games, Al-Qadim, Pool of Radiance and 2 for Ravenloft and I really like how they came out.

I mostly wanted to display the original art and not the cropped versions used on some of the covers since I loved the art but those covers were kind of ugly, but I made a frame to simulate the feel of the original box a bit with the titles (some with a different font) and I added the much needed artist credits.

You can find them here if you are interested in those:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sq-jQPewL6O9f9q2IeccjkpPuTulB4Px?usp=sharing

This is how they look if you don't want to browse the link.

SSI-dnd.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/11/2022 at 5:27 AM, GFX said:

I have tried my hand at making a few for myself though they are not great since I rely on whatever I find over the internet which is not that good, so far I made the three Alone in the Dark and Kyrandia 3 but they are far from perfect (though they look great on print ;P).

I also recently made a small amount of posters from some of the old SSI and D&D games I found the art of at a really nice quality so I made them for the Eye of the Beholder 1-3 games, Al-Qadim, Pool of Radiance and 2 for Ravenloft and I really like how they came out.

I mostly wanted to display the original art and not the cropped versions used on some of the covers since I loved the art but those covers were kind of ugly, but I made a frame to simulate the feel of the original box a bit with the titles (some with a different font) and I added the much needed artist credits.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Sq-jQPewL6O9f9q2IeccjkpPuTulB4Px?usp=sharing

SSI-dnd.jpg

This is absolutely wonderful !!! It's been barely a week since I posted some of these SSI game artworks on Twitter wondering how to find them in better quality! Thank you 10000 times !!! And please don't stop!!

And maybe one of you has this artwork in good quality? I would be very grateful ❤️

Edited by Nano
  • Like 1

Haha thank you, I'm glad people liked those :)

I think I did see something from Ultima Underworld, I remember seeing the original sketches, I kind of skipped it since I never played any of the Ultima games 😛 (not that I didn't want to play them haha).

I'm making other covers for Prisoner of Ice, Shadow of the Comet, Waxworks and Amazons (these last two have been somewhat of a pain but hope it will be worth it :P).

I also uploaded another for Veil of Darkness (the Japanese cover that was far better looking).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GFX said:

Haha thank you, I'm glad people liked those :)

I think I did see something from Ultima Underworld, I remember seeing the original sketches, I kind of skipped it since I never played any of the Ultima games 😛 (not that I didn't want to play them haha).

I'm making other covers for Prisoner of Ice, Shadow of the Comet, Waxworks and Amazons (these last two have been somewhat of a pain but hope it will be worth it :P).

I also uploaded another for Veil of Darkness (the Japanese cover that was far better looking).

Is there any chance you have the SSI artwork without a logo and without a title? (as for Alone in the Dark) (it's for a friend 😁)

10 hours ago, Nano said:

Is there any chance you have the SSI artwork without a logo and without a title? (as for Alone in the Dark) (it's for a friend 😁)

I do but since these artists have done tons of art for D&D and fantasy in general, without the titles they tend to look just like any other fantasy art so I kept the titles and logos to make it less like ripping those artists works and more like relating these to the games (which had heavily cropped or edited versions of the art)... Not sure if I made sense haha.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, Laserschwert said:

xX7Rftn.jpeg

While I've been planning to give Peter Chan's Star Wars DOTT artwork a make-over at some point, LRG's announcement of DOTT Remastered somehow put this on the fast lane. I wasn't really convinced by the poster they decided to include, so I got down to business, planning to offer them a new print-ready version of the art as an option. How could they say no to that? Well, while LRG seemed to be interested, Disney ultimately wasn't. So, here's the result of this effort, adding a much-needed improvement over my old version, both in terms of colors and detail. No more artficial brush strokes and oversharpened edges to suggest detail. I even separated the color channels of the scan to fix the severe alignment issues the Adventurer print suffered from, removing the color fringes and blurry edges caused by that.

A few comparisons (at 70% size, enough to show the differences):

FCTQYFb.jpeg

VlFDknl.jpeg

RJ6LY8v.jpeg

USz7Tkl.jpeg

I love this poster but I miss the green undertone in the new version a bit. 
It looks too warm to my taste  - watching it on a calibrated apple macbook screen.

• Jake unpinned this topic
On 9/11/2022 at 6:27 AM, GFX said:

SSI-dnd.jpg

Hello m8 thanks for these awesome pictures.

Is there any hope that we can have these without the borders, titles etc

2 hours ago, Mad_Wolf said:

Hello m8 thanks for these awesome pictures.

Is there any hope that we can have these without the borders, titles etc

Hi, this is a tough one, I made these with the borders, logos and titles so they clearly relate to the games since the art was heavily cropped for the covers and in some cases it would be hard to tell what games they are from, I also really feel that without those elements I'm bordering on pirating the art since I think those paintings where not specifically created for the games.
But I would like to know how the rest of you guys think about this.

On a side note, I just added another for one of the cover variations of Shadow of the Comet, since I had to paint most of the top I made a version without the title.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GFX said:

Hi, this is a tough one, I made these with the borders, logos and titles so they clearly relate to the games since the art was heavily cropped for the covers and in some cases it would be hard to tell what games they are from, I also really feel that without those elements I'm bordering on pirating the art since I think those paintings where not specifically created for the games.

On a side note, I just added another for one of the cover variations of Shadow of the Comet, since I had to paint most of the top I made a version without the title.

Dont get me wrong m8.

Its not related to piracy etc. As at the first posts there are a lot of lucasarts wallpapers with and without logo etc.

I just want these for making them wallpaper not for another use.

Btw congrats for you hard work.

Take care

13 hours ago, GFX said:

It sounds like you've been very conscientious and thoughtful throughout the process, and if you don't feel comfortable sharing them without those elements that's probably the right call. It does sound like a different situation from the Lucasarts stuff posted in here.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, Laserschwert said:

Honestly, I'd feel a lot better of this discussion could be moved to its own thread.

Don't worry Jan, a few replies won't damage the thread, and I promise I won't post my own covers here again so you don't feel I'm hijacking it.