Jump to content

Home

LucasArts Posters: The Revenge


Laserschwert

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, GFX said:

Don't worry Jan, a few replies won't damage the thread, and I promise I won't post my own covers here again so you don't feel I'm hijacking it.

It looks like people like your stuff, so it might make sense to move it to a dedicated thread, so it doesn't get buried in this one.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

It looks like people like your stuff, so it might make sense to move it to a dedicated thread, so it doesn't get buried in this one.

Thank you for the suggestion I will be doing that :), I kind of forgot this is mostly a forum and had this topic as an only posters pin.

By the way, while I was looking at some cover art I found an artist which has a couple of pieces you might find useful as a source for your AI training (I actually don't know enough about how that works), so here is the link for one of his pieces:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/48vkB4


I also found this Loom cover, I can't remember if it was mentioned before but I don't remember seeing it at all, I think it's an FM town version.

And I also found about a Fate of Atlantis comic book mini-series that was released back in 1992 with great cover art (not sure if those covers are made by the same artist as the game's cover), I don't know if you guys knew about those 😛
 

loom-fmtowns.jpg

tumblr_n9jukjV7pY1qbgo38o1_1280.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I already have a scan of the Loom FM-Towns cover, so I'll deal with that at some point. The FOA comic book covers were painted by Dave Dorman, as opposed to William Eaken, who painted the game's cover. They are a slightly out of scope for this project, at least as long as there are bigger fish to fry.

 

On the upside, here's another round of begging for scans. With the recent find of the photo of the original "Outlaws" painting (yeah, I only found a photo, not the painting itself), I think I'll tackle that one next. I'm still missing a good 600 dpi scan of a (good condition) Outlaws box. Both the US release and the UK "LucasArts Classics" release would be of interest, as both have relatively little text on them:

27128-outlaws-windows-front-cover.jpg 330385-outlaws-windows-front-cover.png

Furthermore, there's a double-page ad for the game in issue #38 of the US magazine PC Gamer (July 1997), which might be useful as well:

4fbe39a1d3f253885a0fb3e094f44f549bc85b14

 

Anybody able to help out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to squeeze this wonderful promotional artwork for "Dark Forces" in.

 

TF0ijZo.jpeg

 

Painted by David Grove, this was used for print ads in several magazines back in the time. Interestingly, the original painting was created with much brighter colors, and later darkened for printing. Surely this was intentional, as the art works much better this way, given the game it was created for.

 

rSn5lPq.jpeg

 

I've created several different versions for this:


tv7OhuW.png

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Chef's Kiss 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, Laserschwert said:

Thanks, I already have a scan of the Loom FM-Towns cover, so I'll deal with that at some point. The FOA comic book covers were painted by Dave Dorman, as opposed to William Eaken, who painted the game's cover. They are a slightly out of scope for this project, at least as long as there are bigger fish to fry.

 

On the upside, here's another round of begging for scans. With the recent find of the photo of the original "Outlaws" painting (yeah, I only found a photo, not the painting itself), I think I'll tackle that one next. I'm still missing a good 600 dpi scan of a (good condition) Outlaws box. Both the US release and the UK "LucasArts Classics" release would be of interest, as both have relatively little text on them:

27128-outlaws-windows-front-cover.jpg 330385-outlaws-windows-front-cover.png

Furthermore, there's a double-page ad for the game in issue #38 of the US magazine PC Gamer (July 1997), which might be useful as well:

4fbe39a1d3f253885a0fb3e094f44f549bc85b14

 

Anybody able to help out?

I have the ad sheet for Outlaws which doesn't have the bullet holes, but it's in storage so I won't be able to scan it for a couple of weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't get the scans of the normal Outlaws magazine ads without the text on the other side bleeding through. I forget... do I need a thick, black board to place behind it on the scanner to not let the light shine through to the back page?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

I can't get the scans of the normal Outlaws magazine ads without the text on the other side bleeding through. I forget... do I need a thick, black board to place behind it on the scanner to not let the light shine through to the back page?

I usually use a black T-shirt or towel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

"Can One Brilliant German Designer Put An Impossible Loaf Of French Bread In Front Of A Logo?"

Yes. He Can!

 

Looking really crisp! I can't believe how good Purcell's artwork looks through your restauration!! Thanks again and keep up the good work!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Getting there. (And finally, the bread is in front of the logo)

wuOyCnY.jpeg

Logo is less readable now because the bread intersects the K all over the place! It makes sense why they covered it before for store shelf readability. But this looks fantastic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I figured as much. Since I am going to assemble different versions anyway, I'll have at least one alternative logo size and placement, that barely intersects with Zak or the bread, plus one that covers up the bread like the original.

  • Chef's Kiss 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really have a priority list, as I just continue working on what I feel like that day. Zak is close to done, so that's probably coming next. Maniac Mansion is quite far along as well. I'm still missing more scans for Outlaws and I'll probably get some better scans for EfMI soon.

 

I've played around with logo removal on The Dig and Loom, so those might get an update further down the line as well.

 

Apart from that, there are no immediate further plans. What myriad of unscanned covers/posters are you referring to?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Apart from that, there are no immediate further plans. What myriad of unscanned covers/posters are you referring to?

 

The ones that come to mind are the OG Grim Fandango box, Rebel Assault 1 box, X-Wing Alliance, and other misc. Star Wars games like Shadows of the Empire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...