Home

Tales + macOS

simonsoup

Has anyone had any luck running Tales of Monkey Island on a relatively recent Mac?

None of the episodes will run once installed, with error messages like "Monkey Island 101 is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

It's the same issue with The Devil's Playhouse. I'm using the last .dmg files made available via my Telltale account. I see The Devil's Playhouse is still available for Mac on Steam (warning that it needs to be pre-Catalina) but Tales is now listed as Windows-only. 

I'm on an 2014 iMac 5K, running Mojave.

Sorry for making one of my first posts on the revived forum a dull technical issue!

For reference for others: just tried to re-install mine on this Mac running on Catalina (10.15.6) - once I open the installer it just has a big cross-out through the application and an error that the dev needs to update the app to work with this version of OS.

Somewhere I've got my other one running on....something old. I can give it a try tonight. 

Ah! This has worked. Thanks, I should have searched more generally for that error - I just assumed it was particular to this era of Telltale stuff.

Unfortunately I now find I can't unlock the trial versions (login no longer recognised) but it's otherwise running fine.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, simonsoup said:

Ah! This has worked. Thanks, I should have searched more generally for that error - I just assumed it was particular to this era of Telltale stuff.

Unfortunately I now find I can't unlock the trial versions (login no longer recognised) but it's otherwise running fine.

I'll ping the staff at LCG Entertainment about the login issue.  Not sure if they'll be able to do anything about it since it's a legacy release, but it can't hurt to ask.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jenni said:

I'll ping the staff at LCG Entertainment about the login issue.  Not sure if they'll be able to do anything about it since it's a legacy release, but it can't hurt to ask.

That's kind of you – hope we hear something back. This thread on the Telltale forums led me to believe the installers they left available (for now) to people who bought from Telltale are DRM-free. They're not, at least not the Mac versions.

It's a shame as I was hoping to play through the whole saga soon (I'm reliably informed Escape can be done under Wine), and I haven't revisited Tales in a long time. Not since I had a laptop with a puny graphics card that almost melted during the prologue.