Home

"The Secrets of Monkey Island" 30th anniversary livestream with Ron Gilbert

Jake

8 minutes ago, Leafar said:

Finally the material has been officially released!

https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

I am very happy with this release of unprecedented content, it was the best gift of all!

Bigger gift now will one day Ron be able to work in a future Monkey3 (Monkey2.5) :)

Moments later the page was deactivated, possibly testing/editing the page content. I removed the YouTube link (of the live) from my previous post, to respect the wish of the gamehistory.org team. The content should be released as soon as they find it prudent to release.

"this is the way"

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, elTee said:

They're basically a museum, I can almost guarantee this will be publicly available at some point.

More likely, it'll be made available to researchers and other people who have the wherewithal (and cash) to access the code in the name of academic publication, but will never be given out to the vast majority of fans who would love to see it just for its own sake.

43 minutes ago, ATMachine said:

More likely, it'll be made available to researchers and other people who have the wherewithal (and cash) to access the code in the name of academic publication, but will never be given out to the vast majority of fans who would love to see it just for its own sake.

I'm pretty sure he meant the stream, not the source code.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2020 at 2:00 AM, Leafar said:

Finally the material has been officially released!

https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

I am very happy with this release of unprecedented content, it was the best gift of all!

Bigger gift now will one day Ron be able to work in a future Monkey3 (Monkey2.5) :)

Really looking forward to being able to see all this stuff! Seems like I chose the perfect time for my playthroughs!

• Like 1

That's the same cutscene someone on the Monkey Island 1 SE team described in this 2009 blog post about the original source code:

Monkey Head Ceremony (Deleted Scene)

The first time you arrive at the Monkey Head, there are 4 cannibals, 2 with blue skull masks, one with a shark mask, and Orange Head.  They are exactly the same art as the 3 cannibals we know and love, but have different color masks.  Then it says “some dancing the Hokey-Pokey goes on”, and the natives all move around and one of them moves to the next to the ear.  He does some sort of cranking action at the ear (maybe with the monkey head key?) and the mouth of the Monkey head opens.  The other 3 cannibals walk into the open mouth.  The last cannibal looks around, to make sure no one is watching, and then

The post is truncated as is, but I'd say the idea is "...he goes into the Monkey Head and the mouth closes behind him."

• Like 1

OMG it would be incredibly cool if someone could find a way to patch those largo-lechuck scenes back into mi2, say as a revamp of the ultimate talkie edition project... yes i realize that requires someone to aquire the assets from the source code. even the fact that they exist means this could someday be a possibility. That is very very cool 🙂 may never happen but i love the idea that it exists and someone could do it if given the oppertunity and had the skill

Also hi everyone, hope your last decade or so has been good :) lol

4 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Those close ups are so friggin' amazing! I can't imagine a reason to take them out! Especially if the second cut scene would have been presented first, the build up to LeChuck's new look would've been far more dramatic!

There is a comment in the source code saying that they were abandoned to save a floppy disk, and expressing some (joking-sounding) hope that they’d appear in a directors cut release.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Jake said:

There is a comment in the source code saying that they were abandoned to save a floppy disk, and expressing some (joking-sounding) hope that they’d appear in a directors cut release.

Thanks for the reply. I guessed it would be something like this. But it's a crying shame I tell you!

Also, the comparison of the Mêlée Town backdrop really shows how effective good use of dithering can be!

I never realised how much the artists really outdid themselves with this game!

I'd still love to see a reproduction of the original Mêlée Island lookout scene.