Home

Found new (old) Monkey Island 2 Amiga icon

segra

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone has seen this before,

Was exploring the contents of some disk dumps I made using a Kryoflux a couple of years ago,

and discovered a deleted icon on the original monkey island 2 disk 1, dated prior to the release.

here it is, have also attached the icon to the post

image.png

For the curious, here is the disk information as per ADF-Workshop

image.png

monkey2.info

• Like 6

Wait, weird! Really? We're able to undelete files now. Surely not? That's insane!

You've got a filter on your emulator that's distorting the icon a bit. If I can find the time, I'll try and show it as it would have looked in the day.

I still can't quite get over this. What other deleted stuff could we find?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

That's awesome! I wondered if it was like the MI1 icon - where the colours are messed up in Workbench 3 (I didn't realise that for years). I checked and that's sadly not the case.

Also while you're here thank you for the directory opus adf plugin :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

That's awesome! I wondered if it was like the MI1 icon - where the colours are messed up in Workbench 3 (I didn't realise that for years). I checked and that's sadly not the case.

It’s been a helluva long time, but I used to know WB really well.  I’m probably misremembering or misinterpreting what you’re saying, but as I recall Amiga icons didn’t store colour information. They just used whatever palette was set in WB. The only way to see the intended colours for the MI1 icon was to boot WB from the original Disk 1 of MI1 (by interrupting the boot up so the game didn’t load). The designed palette has purples as I recall, instead of the default WB blue and whites. 

I remember sharing the original correctly coloured version after I tracked down its creator and asked him about the icon. In most places it’s displayed with the wrong colours, unfortunately. 

I keep meaning to track down that whole interesting saga from archive.org version of the Scumm Bar forums about MI1’s icon and getting the story behind the hidden message I found. I’ll post it as a story on Mojo one day!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

It’s been a helluva long time, but I used to know WB really well.  I’m probably misremembering or misinterpreting what you’re saying, but as I recall Amiga icons didn’t store colour information. They just used whatever palette was set in WB. The only way to see the intended colours for the MI1 icon was to boot WB from the original Disk 1 of MI1 (by interrupting the boot up so the game didn’t load). The designed palette has purples as I recall, instead of the default WB blue and whites. 

That's probably what I'm thinking of, its been...a few years.👴

14 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I keep meaning to track down that whole interesting saga from archive.org version of the Scumm Bar forums about MI1’s icon and getting the story behind the hidden message I found. I’ll post it as a story on Mojo one day!

We have all of Lucasforums archived here. You mean this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:02 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Wait, weird! Really? We're able to undelete files now. Surely not? That's insane!

You've got a filter on your emulator that's distorting the icon a bit. If I can find the time, I'll try and show it as it would have looked in the day.

I still can't quite get over this. What other deleted stuff could we find?

Only in situations where the file block headers haven't been destroyed, you can also restore file partial files

ah, scaling been enabled that long i forgot about it,

is this any better?

image.png

23 hours ago, Bennyboy said:

you're welcome,

that's actually how i came across this, have been working on a replacement plugin and library which currently supports adf/d64 and fat12/16/32

this is how the icon looks under Monkey Island 1 colors (unclicked)

image.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Whoa that icon is cool. And much better than the boring one they actually went with, as far as I'm concerned!

Are you saying that the data for the cool icon is actually on the duplicated Monkey Island 2 disks, but you can only access it by digging into the filesystem as it's been "deleted"?

Someone needs to re-upload all the Monkey Island 1 icon images from the archived thread Benny linked before. Definitely the coolest Amiga icon in the business, especially with a suitable colour palette. The Workbench 1.3 palette worked out pretty well, but I'm led to believe that the Monkey 1 disk itself somehow defined an even better one?