Home

Telltale's Sam & Max games getting remastered

Udvarnoky

Hit the Road Pens and Pins? That's easy-schwag. ;)

I'm just mad I didn't buy the ridiculous embossed plastic/painted mold of the Hit The Road cover that was presumably used as advertising with gamestores when I had the chance on eBay some 15 years ago. I probably have the saved pics from the listing on my computer at home...

Edited by Scummbuddy

The pins were actually made to be sold at comic con I think and the jacket wasn't sold anywhere to the public, it was a crew jacket for the people who worked on the cartoon. It would be cool to have these in a Hit the Road rerelease but considering these weren't related to the game, that might be unlikely. The pen would absolutely seem to be possible though since it was promotional material for the game.

Although collectors editions are great and I love them, I would love to get just regular merch like shirts and hats, I'd buy anything that has Sam and Max's name on it. I'm sure once Skunkape Games are done with the remasters, there might be a possibility for these kind of things, just gotta be patient, it's only a matter of time. 

Edited by CalisDraws

Fun fact: A design for a Monkey Island 2 floaty pen had also been pitched, as Tim bitterly recalled on the product page for the Double Fine floaty pen that was offered way back in 2005 when the company store originally launched.

Oh man. I can't even talk about this one I'm so excited! I have wanted a $#@%#& floaty pen ever since they cheaped-out on Monkey 2 and cut them from the marketing budget, and then turned around and got them for Sam and Max. Ooh, I'm still mad about that.

There was an accompanying Double Fine Action News post that elaborated on the design: it was going to be Guybrush in the coffin paddling to the International House of Mojo.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Skunkape posted on Twitter that there is a retail Switch version of Save the World remastered  at Best Buy with a retail-exclusive cover (and Jason posted it as Mojo news, which is where I found out about it).

I had to dust off my Best Buy credit card as the completionist in me needed to get one. :)'

6499535_sd.jpg

Edited by Jenni
add missing comma
  • Like 3

It's really hard to not run to a Best Buy and grab it right now but reminding myself that I already bought the game twice helps haha! 

I really only want it because of the cover, it has ALL of my attention!!! It's soo pretty and when that announcement came up I had the uncontrollable urge to redraw it, cuz it's THAT good and fun! 
20220622_070028.png

I kind of wish the green swirly cover had gotten the same remastered treatment, I'm sure there's a very good reason why it didn't get it but I really would have loved to see the new models and lighting on that one. 😔

Edited by CalisDraws
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

• 1 month later...

I doubt Steve painted it that big, and I think the original had far more space around it where the painting ran off outside the cropped bounds. But it’s been a long time since I saw that thing. 

I wonder if this is a somehow-never-folded version of the large print included in some European retail editions? 

B149E49D-0781-4033-BF81-5060910357C8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Update: Apparently this is not the original but is still rare, even if it’s just a print: It was a large format print made for Telltale’s office lobby. I don’t know that it’s worth 1-5000 dollars though. Anyone could blow up a print for their house and it would be functionally the same. You’d have to really care that it’s telltale office ephemera. 

• Haha 3

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, TimeGentleman said:

I'm curious to see what they do with this one because iirc at the time it took a big step up from the first two seasons in terms of visuals and probably still looks pretty nice.

It’s a really hit or miss game in that regard. It has some of the most well made sets in the series and also some where you can literally see through holes in the building models without doing anything but walking around the scene. Some really nice handmade textures and design, and some photographs of dirt stuck on a wall. And it was all held together with some really sturdy lighting, color grading, and telltale’s best and most apparent cinematography at the time (and great writing and music, if we’re getting outside the visuals). The remaster is more about bringing the more chunky and ramshackle parts of the season up to par with the really nice stuff, than anything else. Sometimes that does involve replacing or redoing textures that appear across the whole season and those are still in progress. (eg I think the finished game will look dirtier than what’s in the teaser, but it will be accomplished a way other than the original, which relied on photosourced dirt textures to achieve it).

• Like 4

Only now have I stumbled upon the teaser.

Telltale's actual swan song deserves just this. I'm pissing my pants with anticipation.

An hour of additional JEJ music, finally the soundtrack release on bandcamp, a day one release on gog.com and of course a European tourist that actually looks like Marius would be great. 🥸

This should be discussed more ...

... it should have its own subforum dammit.

Looking forward to laughing my butt off about the Aeroschwein and Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg jokes again.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
56 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

What I wouldn't give for a bit of Remastered Devil's Playhouse right now.

Same! Season 3 has been a significantly more rude game to remaster, technically. It did things with the Telltale Tool that are basically unsupported in modern versions that use a more modern rendering pipeline. We have conscripted three ex-Telltale engine/graphics programmers to help bend the modern engine to our will, but it has taken a lot of annoying and uncertain experimentation. 

• Wow 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/1/2023 at 12:43 AM, Jake said:

Same! Season 3 has been a significantly more rude game to remaster, technically. It did things with the Telltale Tool that are basically unsupported in modern versions that use a more modern rendering pipeline. We have conscripted three ex-Telltale engine/graphics programmers to help bend the modern engine to our will, but it has taken a lot of annoying and uncertain experimentation. 

It's good to hear you guys are taking your job so seriously, Jake! I'm sure this will be a fantastic remaster! Take all the time, we'll be waiting. 🙂