Home

Scumm Creator

vandands

The other day I've finished watching Double Fine's documentary on Broken Age and then went on reading Ron's blog on the making of Thimbleweed.

When he talks about having to create his own engine from scratch for this game (and considering many point&click developers wannabes are constantly asking if Adventure Creator or Visionaire -just to put some examples- are best to create an adventure game), I just thought to myself how amazing would be to crowdfund a "Scumm creator" program, made by our beloved wizards that made these wonderful games... And yes, maybe if you're a programmer you'll go "but these games ain't that hard to code"; but damn, how awesome would it be to have these phenomenal and creative people make a software for us fans, to keep making "Scumm-like" games! 

You can just hop onto Adventure Game Studio and use the Lucas templates. I get what you're saying but that would be so unlikely and there are already great tools available today. I do know that these creators like Ron have stated that they have looked at "available engines today" and decided they weren't good enough or didn't give them the flexibility they wanted so they made their own all over again but really, these engines are dang good enough.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

You can just hop onto Adventure Game Studio and use the Lucas templates. I get what you're saying but that would be so unlikely and there are already great tools available today. I do know that these creators like Ron have stated that they have looked at "available engines today" and decided they weren't good enough or didn't give them the flexibility they wanted so they made their own all over again but really, these engines are dang good enough.

I absolutely agree with you, today's tools are great and there is tons of coverage on "how-to"; I suppose I found myself fantasizing how awesome it would be if the original SCUMM creators made this new tool at making classic point&click games, i'm sure a LOT of indie developers would be super happy to buy this software from them.

Just imagine how cool i'd be if they can finance their next adventure game with the profit made from this software, one can only dream :guybrush:

• Like 1

It’s a good idea, and I bet it could sell some units.

I just think that when Ron Gilbert says the tools at hand are not good enough, he means they’re not good enough for a seasoned veteran with a mind of his own. Younger developers may not experience the ‘problems’ he has with the existing tools, because they’re not used to programming their own code.

Mind you, I think if the price tag is good a name like Ron Gilbert (or Tim Shafer erc.)could outsell all other Adventure Game tools on the market. But I still think it would be to great a hassle for them.

In their heart, I think they’re storytellers, and the tools they create are made for telling their story’s, that’s where their focus lies.

• Like 1