Home

Origins of Guybrush's Porcelain Phobia?

Wintermute

I don't know where Matty Mighty Pirate gets his sources from, but you have two options to accept, so pick one:

1) After a while, the LucasArts team has been known for creating inside jokes within their own creations, so this could more than likely be a joke that only those within LucasArts is belly-laughing to, while the rest of us just raise a brow and quickly but quickly mumble "huh?"

2) After Monkey Island 2, nothing is truly canon to Ron Gilber'ts creation, so this doesn't even really matter anyway, right?

...porcelain. o_O

• 3 years later...

I vaguely remember a scummbar.com interview with *someone not sure who* where they asked why he was afraid of porcelain and I *think* it had something to do with a vase... I read it like a decade ago so yeah, not remembering much :p

Some rubbish about there being a vase in the governor's mansion on Melee Island. The second post in this thread says that! Looking at the date, you may have read it 14 years ago so I can't blame you for forgetting.

Never mind. It doesn't stop it being a daft theory.

My toilet seat theory is much better. Oh, I've got a better one. He probably sat on a toilet with a cracked seat and his butt cheeks got caught in the crack. I mean, that really wrecks. Enough to put you off toilets and other porcelain-derived products for life.

I once had an idea that Guybrush as a kid went on a field trip to a porcelain factory and almost fell into a vat of bubbling hot porcelain which traumatised him for life.

It was a theory I came up with when I was considerably younger, so I recognise how ridiculous it probably sounds now. It was very dramatic in my head at the time too.

The toilet seat theory is appropriately traumatising and amusing though :lol:

Archived